PDA

View Full Version : PJH Landscaping LLC........ My Story

PJH Landscaping
01-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Hey everyone, Had to writethis paper for school, thought I would share it with everyone

PJH Landscaping LLC…… My story

Landscaping has always been a big part of my life. From when I was a kid, sitting in the car with my Mom, I could always pick out the trucks and machines. Now that I am older I have taken my childhood dream to reality. My name is Patrick Haggett owner and operator of PJH Landscaping LLC, now with over twenty lawn accounts and including snowplowing and fall clean up. I am doing pretty well for a seventeen year old. Watching my business grow through the years has been great, and now I am taking it to the next level. Oh, and one more thing, I am graduating High School one year early in order to start off a little younger.

So, let me start off by telling you how I really got started. Like I said before when I was just a kid, (maybe four or five years old) I would always pick out the trucks and the machine as I was riding in the car. My Mom and my aunt would be so amazed at how I could pick out a tractor from a mile away. This was just the starting point of my interests in machines and the business itself. I would always think to myself that I would like to be the one who is being looked at by the kid in the car when I’m older. And look where I am now, making my dreams come true.

I started mowing lawns at a very young age. I would always love to be outside with my dad, watching him cut the grass. I would be behind him with my toy lawn mower, thinking I was helping. Then the day finally came where he felt I was old enough to run the lawnmower by myself. At this time I was only six years old and very excited. From that point on I would want to cut the grass, and help my dad in the yard. I was not the kid who you had to tell to go and mow the lawn, or to pull the weeds. I never had to be coaxed with money or anything. I just have a passion that I found when I was a young age. And little did I know it would ultimately decide my future.

Now let me tell you about how I started cutting grass for other people. We all know the neighborhood kid who goes around and tries to cut the neighbors grass or rake leaves. Well I was definitely that kid. I started off with my dad’s push mower cutting the next door neighbors lawn. At this point I as about thirteen years old and I thought I was cool making fifteen dollars a week. Soon I figured out that I could make some good money cutting grass. I told my dad that we needed a bigger lawnmower. So he agreed and we purchased our first big lawnmower, a forty-two inch Craftsman lawn tractor. Let me tell you, this tractor had made me a lot of money. I now went from not only one neighbor’s lawn, but two. “Wow” I thought, I am making a lot of money. I was also being very productive. I now not only had a tractor but a trailer to tow behind it loaded up will all of my tools. I thought I was so cool driving around with my tractor and trailer making sure everyone knew who I was. This little tractor was the start to my future.

So let me tell you where I am today. As I stated in the first paragraph I now have a licensed business. PJH Landscaping LLC, I am fully insured and have a lot of equipment. I now own: 2000 GMC Sierra Pickup, a thirty two inch walk behind mower, a new Gravely fifty two inch zero turn rider, a new sixteen foot trailer, a snowplow and a new sander. I also have more equipment that would take too long to list. I have built my business around a few different things. One is being honest. I am always honest with my customers and I want them to trust me just like I trust them. My number one goal is to have 100% customer satisfaction. If you are not happy I want to know why and I want to fix it. I like to have personal relationship with all of my customers, making myself accessible to them. I send them Christmas cards, newsletters, etc. But most of all I do quality work. I know that my customers want their house, which would be probably one of their biggest investments, looking good at all times. I want them to be satisfied and to know that I am here to make them happy. As for my future, I aspire to grow larger and larger, getting more clients and making more profit. But for now I am taking it one step at a time, and making my dreams come true.

Some of you by this point may be asking yourself, where are the parents in this picture? Well trust me they are there. My Mom and dad are my two biggest supporters. They have put themselves out there not only financially but also business wise, getting me more jobs. Without my parents I would definitely not be where I am today. My dad has taught me almost everything I know to date about machines and the landscaping business itself. My parents have supported my decision in making this my career and not continuing my education after high school but to go chase a dream.

One more thing that I would like to touch on is the fact that I am graduating high school a year early. You are probably wondering how I can do this. Well I do not really like the school that I am in so my Mom decided to have a talk with the principal. The principal felt for my situation and looked into what she could do. Since I had a full schedule since freshman year I had enough credits to graduate this year. The catch though was that I had to take two other college elective courses either online or in a class. So I did some research and I found an online Professional Landscaping course. What a perfect match. Well I am done with that course and now I am taking a computer course. I will be done with school come June and I can’t wait to start working full time on my business.

In conclusion, if you could get one thing out of this paper I would want it to be following your dreams. Set goals and accomplish them. And don’t let other peoples ignorance get in your way. Be optimistic, I have had many people think I am crazy for doing what I’m doing. But just remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel and if you keep pushing you will get the prize at the end. For me it has been starting a business and graduating early. But for you I don’t know. Just hold on tight to your dreams and maybe someday they will some true.

oakwdman
01-25-2009, 01:45 PM
only thing i have to say is I'm the same age as you..... GO TO COLLEGE! forget going full time right now get an education to fall back on if something were to go wrong.

Sounds like you have a good thing going, you remind me alot of myself with that story lol.

PJH Landscaping
01-25-2009, 02:37 PM
only thing i have to say is I'm the same age as you..... GO TO COLLEGE! forget going full time right now get an education to fall back on if something were to go wrong.

Sounds like you have a good thing going, you remind me alot of myself with that story lol.

Thank you for reading my story. I actually have something to fall back on already. If somthing was to go wrong I have a few jobs that I can go to. Hope your 09' seson turns out well

hseeder
01-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Definitely looks like you are determined. I say to you congratulations. However, I have been in the industry since I was 11 with my Dad as well, and having my own busines for 15 yrs or so now. I do also have other avenues to fal onto, I am Nationally registered as a Paramedic, also hold a class A license, and Class A HEO, as well as a degree in landscape design and management. You have got to make sure you have something to fall onto, especially with the shape this economy is in, and it will only get worse before it gets better. I was able to restructure myself when everything went down hill last year, and my job as a medic has maintained my family while the business has maintained itself. Remember you never know what is around the corner. You have passion, and support and some success, have a safety net also. Good luck

DLAWNS
01-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Congratulations on all of your success. Good luck in the future and welcome to the site.

Mowerboy04
01-25-2009, 09:48 PM
go to college, with the economy like it is you need a degree.

jeffslawnservice
02-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Yea i agree with alot of other people go to college. You can go for horticulture or landscape architecture for something related to landscaping. I am currently 16 about to turn 17 and just started a lawn service buisness less than a year ago. I thought about going full time after high school but after talking with my parents and a guidance counciler at school decided to go to college for buisness and horticulture. But its up to you and it sound like your pretty sucessful and i really liked your paper.

- Jeff

nickdup1
02-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the forum. I'd also going to college is the smartest thing you can do right now, worry about the business life after that. Good luck in whatever you choose to do though!