PDA

View Full Version : Earthway Ev-n-spray S25 Ground Driven Sprayer

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-25-2009, 03:18 PM
I am putting together a fert/squirt biz for the coming season. Was planning to use a battery-power backpack (like the Shur-flo) to do squirts for small resi's only. Until I saw this machine in Turf mag.

Anyone have any more info on it? I believe it is new from Earthway. There are two things I like about it on first glance 1) The tank will hold almost 7 gals of liquid mix, which is far more than a Synergy type drop in will carry, and 2) it is a dedicated sprayer, unlike the Synergy drop in, which has that drive wheel which appears to me could slip if your spreader wheels get slick or muddy.

The Earthway product interests me...I could gain some productivity with it without having to drop a load on a skid my first season.

Thanks!

LushGreenLawn
01-25-2009, 03:56 PM
I am putting together a fert/squirt biz for the coming season. Was planning to use a battery-power backpack (like the Shur-flo) to do squirts for small resi's only. Until I saw this machine in Turf mag.

Anyone have any more info on it? I believe it is new from Earthway. There are two things I like about it on first glance 1) The tank will hold almost 7 gals of liquid mix, which is far more than a Synergy type drop in will carry, and 2) it is a dedicated sprayer, unlike the Synergy drop in, which has that drive wheel which appears to me could slip if your spreader wheels get slick or muddy.

The Earthway product interests me...I could gain some productivity with it without having to drop a load on a skid my first season.

Thanks!

One thing you need to look at is how many Sq. Ft. you are getting per tank, not ho many gallons. I get 16,000 sq. ft. out of my synergy, from two gallons.

The earthway may only get 7,000 sq. ft. out of a seven gallon tank.

If that were the case, you would have to refill much more often, and have to carry more liquid with you to refill the machine with. Just something to think about...

robertsturf
01-25-2009, 05:11 PM
You will also need to think about the weight. Isn't water 8# per gal. So that would be around 56# or so.

RigglePLC
01-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Weight is a factor. I don't have one, but I have heard they are hard to push. Water and spread together, plus pump--about a hundred lbs. Who is going to help you lift it onto the truck? Can you spread fertilizer at the same time? Is that 50 more pounds? Or do you need a separate spreader and second trip for the fert? The back pack sounds good to me.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-25-2009, 09:05 PM
One thing you need to look at is how many Sq. Ft. you are getting per tank, not ho many gallons. I get 16,000 sq. ft. out of my synergy, from two gallons.

The earthway may only get 7,000 sq. ft. out of a seven gallon tank.

If that were the case, you would have to refill much more often, and have to carry more liquid with you to refill the machine with. Just something to think about...

Your right on the application rate....I am going to get more info on that.
Also, how do you get so many sq ft from two gallons of mix on the Synergy??
Thats what worries me about the Synergy, it would have to be an ultra-fine mist to get that kind of app rate. I'm not keen on driftables....

LushGreenLawn
01-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Your right on the application rate....I am going to get more info on that.
Also, how do you get so many sq ft from two gallons of mix on the Synergy??
Thats what worries me about the Synergy, it would have to be an ultra-fine mist to get that kind of app rate. I'm not keen on driftables....

It is a very fine spray, and you have to be careful about drift. It is a nice forceful spray, that helps.

As riggle said, being able to spread fert at the same time is a plus. You woul;d not want to run liquid fert through the earthway. It would probrably clog the tips, and even if it didn't, there is a big chance of streaking.

jspray
01-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Hope you will look at our ProEdge PE-B all aluminum unit. Many golf courses here have used a push sprayer to edge around greens. It is ground driven originally by a squeeze pump--now by ground driven gear drive pump. It was and is hard to push because of providing energy for the pump operation by pushing.

First we wanted an electrically driven pump so we could use a deep cycle gel battery to power it. We achieved this by use of a Shurflo pump and a battery that will spray all day long--calculated 8 hours straight. We then found a smart battery charger to charge it overnight and then cut itself off.

The unit is a ZTR push sprayer that is highly maneuverable and easy to push. Even I can pick it up without water and set into a pick-up. With the light weight it is still built to a commercial level of frame strength. The booms are foldable and will allow it to easily fit into a pickup.

The sprayer has a 80" spray width with (4) TTI1002VP low volume/low drift air induction tips. Each tip is on a separate valve. These tips are pre-orifice and reduce the spray liquid energy at that point--which reduces fines. The air induction puts air into the water molecule further greatly reducing fines. We call the turbo teejet tips "hurricane proof".

Calibration for the sprayer is simple as the 8 gal poly tank will spray 1/2 acre or 22,000 sq.ft. on a tank--.36 gal per thousand or 16 gpa. This is at 2.5 mph--a normal walking speed--and 20 psi.

We set out to build a first class sprayer, easy to push, lightweight and easy to calibrate. We did not intend to build a low end unit and I believe you will find it to be unique in the turf industry. We operate and use them daily in our application company--Proedge.

Price: $1,995 Delivery special--free to east, southeast, and mid-west until March 1.

Please see attached picture. Our web site: proedgesprayer.com. The steel unit shown on web site is now aluminum.

Optional equip.: Foam marker $399, Edger curtain $159

LushGreenLawn
01-26-2009, 04:55 AM
$2000 for a push sprayer!? You guys are nuts. He would be better off with a used PG for that price.

jspray
01-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the support. Our unit is selling well. A customer bought one recently and sprayed 25 lawns with it the next day. He said that paid for it.

Good spraying to you,

Bill J.

LushGreenLawn
01-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the support. Our unit is selling well. A customer bought one recently and sprayed 25 lawns with it the next day. He said that paid for it.

Good spraying to you,

Bill J.

Sorry if I came off a little harsh, it was my initial reaction though.

It just seems a little pricey to me. I don't doubt you can do 25 lawns with it, but I can do 25 lawns with my synergy that I spent $700 for including push spreader, and 30+ with my used PG that I spend under 2K for. I can spread granular fertilizer from both of those machines, and not have to spread it separately. I just don't see the advantage of buying something for so much money that can't spread fertilizer.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks for posting the price i was wondering what that would run

jspray
01-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Thank you for allowing a professional dialouge.

The unit as noted uses low drift air induction tips fitted to diaphragm nozzle bodies that will not drip. You can spray in 15mph wind gusts with these tips--they are truly unbelievable.

You spray a 80" pass at 2.5mph which easily calculates to 1/2 acre sprayed in 15 minutes at 20 psi. This is with one 8 gal tank.

The unit has 15-6.00x6 rear turf tires with a 3/4" shaft with a 360 degree crazy wheel front tire allowing ZTR maneuverability and easy pushing. It has an all aluminum non-corrosive frame built structurally strong.

We use a lot of Ferromec 15-0-0 with 7% iron with our applications to give good turf color. Mixes right in to tank with herbicide solution--always add it last.

This unit has a brother version called "Painter" that will spray herbicides or paint turf with another set of furnished drop nozzles and tips. This version uses a 3 gpm Shurflo pump.

I can assure you that there is nothing spared or built cheap about this unit. It will make you money with low volume resulting in high efficiency and low drift resulting in high usage.

Good spraying,

Bill J.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-26-2009, 10:02 PM
I am going to pull this back on subject....any more thoughts on the Earthway...
jspray-you look like you have a solid machine there....but I am not in the market for a $2K machine now. Perhaps in future seasons when my business load justifies such a purchase.

jspray
01-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Best of luck to you in future....

jspray

Bill J.

EarthWayJK
02-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Hi guys, I'm not a regular to this web site, but in searching the S25 I saw your thread and thought I could shed some light on the subject because my team developed the S25 Spray-PRO over the past 2 years. The S25 is not designed to replace your 6' to 10' boom type of spray rig, or any other type of sprayer that uses booms. The S25 is boomless, but I was only looking to have a 3' to 5' spray width. What my plan is to address the typical user who has to do 10 - 20 lawns a day (or 3 - 4 thousand linear feet of sidewalks in the winter), which is one reason why it has a 6.6gal/25liter capacity - one lawn one tank. It's not a lot of capacity and not a lot of weight either - water weights 8.35/gallon so we have 55lbs added to the 26lbs of the empty sprayer, so under 85lbs full. The output we achieve from the unit using Teejet Turbo Floodjet nozzles and their DCV, ranges from 11,000 to 16,000 square feet per tank. The S25 is ground-driven, just like our push spreaders, so I use the different nozzle sizes to adjust the output. I tried to minimize the number of application variables that cause trouble, one of which is time & distance non ground driven equipment need a pace-setting device of sorts, the S25 doesn't. It's not perfect, but it's a start. The S25 will be available this spring for under $500.
Send me an email if you have any other questions.
Jeff Kendall
EarthWay Products, Inc.
jkendall@earthway.com

AustinLawnscape
02-02-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't know if you are certified for herbicide applications, but that has to be your first step if you aren't.

Being ground driven the Earthway machine addresses the issue of speed vs. amount of AI sprayed but I am concerned about the small coverage width (max. 5 feet). The Earthway product should weigh about the same as a filled fertilizer spreader (50/100 lbs.) and likely has about the same rolling resistance.

If I read the PermaGreen Synergy web site correctly, you can use it with granular fertilizer in the spreader, allowing you to spread & spray at the same time.

I haven't used the Synergy sprayer so I don't know how much weight and/or extra drag/resistance it adds to the spreader (making it harder to push). That being said the Synergy would be ground driven (off the spreader) and easier to calibrate once you establish a base line for how much it sprays for a given distance covered.

Your concern about the Synergy sprayer drive wheel may be valid but you probably couldn't push the spreader on ground wet enough to cause the problem you're concerned about.

While it's a cool looking sprayer, calibration would be a concern with the ProEdge or similar sprayer. You have to match ground speed to AI (active ingredient) amount sprayed to calculate the correct application rate as dictated by the product label, the EPA, & your state dept of agriculture (or whomever certified you).

Productivity would be an issue if you can't spray & spread at the same time. You would have to re-cover the same ground with a spreader for the fertilizer, if you are using granular fert.

I'm not knocking or endorsing any product, just sharing my 2 cents worth.

Good luck with your decision. - Ed

causalitist
02-19-2009, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=AustinLawnscape;2739575]

If I read the PermaGreen Synergy web site correctly, you can use it with granular fertilizer in the spreader, allowing you to spread & spray at the same time.

this is correct, i personally never do both at the same time because i feel like i may accidentally spray someones bushes etc, and there is no way to have them both come out exactly the same, fert shoots more forward for instance, so normally i stop spreading like 6 feet from a sidewalk/drive, but spray, i go all the way up to walks/drives.. thats just me though, i would probabily apply one after the other if i had a permagreen magnum .. but i know alot of guys do that... just a quality/shrub safety issue for me, i like to see exactly where each thing is going(fert and spray)

I haven't used the Synergy sprayer so I don't know how much weight and/or extra drag/resistance it adds to the spreader (making it harder to push). That being said the Synergy would be ground driven (off the spreader) and easier to calibrate once you establish a base line for how much it sprays for a given distance covered.

its only 2 gallons, and the pump wheel is only rubbing on the spreaders wheel when you pull the lever, so there is no mechanical drag added to power the pump unless you are spraying... and when you are, its not bad, a spreader full of fert is not fun at all to push.. but like i said, i fert(the pain in the as*), then i spray with an empty spreader, which is very easy and fast since its empty

Your concern about the Synergy sprayer drive wheel may be valid but you probably couldn't push the spreader on ground wet enough to cause the problem you're concerned about.didnt read obove posts, but im guessing he's referring to the pump wheel slipping on the spreader wheel when its wet... that happenns a little sometimes, but is just a function of your lever/cable tension.. since there is some leeway in exactly how the pump is mounted/cable adjusted, if you adjust it so closing the hand lever provides sufficient force, this isnt an issue... heck, when i got mine for an earthway 24hds, i had to angle grind parts to get it to fit.. who knows, maybe they sent the wrong one... i didnt care.

callibration hasnt been an issue.. i use the 1.1oz/1k ft^2 rate since i overlap a bit so i dont miss anything.. 16k*1.1=17.6oz per tank.
check your labels though.

its a good entry level unit. thats it.. no more, no less. works well, is cheap, is a pain (because your walking) .. but gets u in the door.

this year i will still use it for small lots.. but i mounted a 25gal tank, 6foot boom, 12vpump, to my toro 48" walkbehind.
and a 12v deep cycle. i put a plug on the back of my truck comming from the trucks battery, the trailer is wired so i just plug the mower in when its on the trailer and the truck charges it between lawns.
cost $400, and i got a 25gallon 6foot spray width "ride-on" (jungle jim sulkie)

i havent yet, but i plan to add a tow behind fert spreader.. attached to the sulkie using a double swivle joint...from a spare jungle jim.. i am very concerned about it tipping over though.. i'd be carefull, but those tow behind spreaders look very possible to tip over. .. like if it bumped a tree, or pothole etc.. and that would be a bad day! .. so im not sure.. may mount a electric atv style one to the front of my 36" mower instead..

u guys think its too risky .. as far as it tipping over?

67ghiaTIV
06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Anyone using the the Earthway S25?

Jamie

mikesturf
06-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Yes, I used it on around 15 lawns, one lawn 2 acres while spraying Imprelis. These were all one time apps, the rest of the year I will spot spray the lawns with a back pack. It is good to use on the small lawns but on big lawns it will kick your butt-very tiring pushing it without a taking a break after 15 minutes. There is definitely resistance that pumps the sprayers when pushing unit. It did have a nice even pattern and it was sturdy and well balanced. I'm very glad I bought it to use occasionally. I had no drift problems with this sprayer spraying the Imprelis.

ODTC
02-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I own an Earthway S25 Mark III, and it sprays liquid fert just fine. A little tiring after the fourth or fifth lawn, but no big deal. Nice, even coverage, relatively trouble-free. I have all small lawns (under 10,000 s.f.) and it is my main sprayer for liquid fert and herbicides. Keeping up the recommended pace can be trying under some circumstances, so the rate will not always be perfect. But, it cost under $400 and got me into the squirt business and makes me money, is easy to use, and easy to haul/store/transfer. Not perfect, but definitely has its place.