PDA

View Full Version : Warnings lights on my truck--suggestions?

TomberLawn
01-25-2009, 03:52 PM
I've been wanting to put some warning lights on my Ram 2500 so that when I'm parked in the road in neighborhoods, the truck will be more visible. And I like lights. My brother has his truck loaded with a Whelen 6-head strobe pack, 2 Whelen TIR3 LEDs, a dual head dash LED, Whelen Slimlighter LED in the rear window, and 2 Whelen 400 series LEDs in the grill. Oh, yeah, he's a volunteer firefighter.

I'm looking at a single-head LED dash light and something for the back. These are what I'm interested in for the front:

Whelen Spitfire--4 LIN SuperLEDs, 45 flash patterns, including split and simultaneous patterns, $75

Whelen Avenger--9 LIN SuperLEDs, 27 flash patterns $113

Star/SVP DL35-6 M-Tech--M-Tech technology is similar to Federal Signal's Solaris technology, very bright. 35 flash pattern, $103

I'm leaning toward the Star/SVP because I've seen videos of the FedSig and it was brighter than the Avenger. And it's cheaper than the Avenger.

For the back, I'm thinking about mounting 2 Whelen TIR3 SuperLEDs right above my rear window, on either side of my 3rd brake light. These are $50 each.

All the prices are from sirennet.com.

Does anybody have experience with these lights, specifically the dash lights? Since my brother has TIR3s, I know what they are like-BRIGHT.

mowerbrad
01-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I think that for when you are just parked on the side of the road warning lights are useless. However, if you are working around the truck on the side of the road especially if it is a busier road, then the warning lights come in handy. But for when your just pulled over on the side of the road in a neighborhood mowing, it isn't worth having them on. But if you insist on getting some, I always like a set-up that can't be seen until the lights are activated.

dura to the max
01-26-2009, 05:57 PM
look into your local laws...ga law requires you to have a permit to have them in the vehicle period. regardless whether you run them while driving or not,

dura to the max
01-27-2009, 03:48 PM
btw, NO-ONE pays attention to lights...trust me...ive had them on my personal truck and even in the engine they dont regard them...i was responding to a fire 2 weeks ago pedal to the metal on the highway (65mph)...had a car behind me that was right on my tail, well a volunteer pulled up behind them, then told me on the radio that he was gonna pass me, no biggie...but he couldnt b/c of that dang minivan that didnt seem to care that she was between 2 truck running lights and sirens...i almost called dispatch for an SO unit to come out...