PDA

View Full Version : RC: next irrigation purchase will be a Rainmaster

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Remote Control..

Hopefully I can find a used one for cheap...
but I hate buying second rate technology

Thoughts?

Wet_Boots
01-25-2009, 07:19 PM
So you already have a second service truck?

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
So you already have a second service truck?

im not on my own

Wet_Boots
01-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Plan ahead

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Plan ahead

Thats why I will have a Rainmaster Remote.

what are they ballparking @?

Mike Leary
01-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Remote Control..

Hopefully I can find a used one for cheap...

Save your money, buy a fresh one; if you're going to make this gig your career, you'll need one.

EagleLandscape
01-25-2009, 07:57 PM
400-600 used. 1400-1500 new i believe. peter knows the pricing really well.

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-25-2009, 08:11 PM
400-600 used. 1400-1500 new i believe. peter knows the pricing really well.

Boy that hurts......

its gona be friggin July before i get one!

DanaMac
01-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Boy that hurts......

its gona be friggin July before i get one!

I've done it 14 years without one. You can get by just fine. Sure it would make it easier, but you can do it.

Mike Leary
01-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I've done it 14 years without one. You can get by just fine. Sure it would make it easier, but you can do it.

Piker...........

DanaMac
01-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Piker...........

Gotta do what you gotta do to get by. Hell I didn't even know about remotes for years. Still only have one remote for three of us.

Can't have every shiny new toy when starting out.

DanaMac
01-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Piker...........

Elitist..........

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-25-2009, 08:20 PM
::takes a seat::

Mike Leary
01-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Hell I didn't even know about remotes for years. Still only have one remote for three of us.

That is certainly going to convince me that this guy knows his stuff if he shows up with his own RM remote and a Fluke VOM.

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-25-2009, 08:44 PM
10% of the guys where i'm might have a remote of some kind.

i almost bet no one has a RM...

UMMMM

Rainmaster...

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Remote is the single most important tool a service guy should have. Equals having a helper. Remote users make non remote users look incompetent.

Mike Leary
01-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Remote is the single most important tool a service guy should have. Equals having a helper. Remote users make non remote users look incompetent.

Yup, a Fluke meter is only second.

DanaMac
01-25-2009, 09:52 PM

Customers here wouldn't know the difference, or care. If they haven't seen one before, how will they know that there is one and it helps?

Without A Drought
01-25-2009, 10:06 PM
...a remote can't dig a ditch for me while i'm rebuilding a manifold.

Remote- 0
Helper- 1

and I never got an answer to what "RC" means.

pg

Kiril
01-25-2009, 10:09 PM
That is certainly going to convince me that this guy knows his stuff if he shows up with his own RM remote and a Fluke VOM.

OMFG .... You know the name brand and type of equipment an irrigator has does NOT in any way relate to their knowledge or experience. I would bet Purp doesn't have a RM remote ... you wanna judge him and his experience on that .... :rolleyes:

Kiril
01-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Remote is the single most important tool a service guy should have. Equals having a helper.

I agree, IF you deal with large properties.

Mike Leary
01-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Customers here wouldn't know the difference, or care. If they haven't seen one before, how will they know that there is one and it helps?

They SURE are impressed when a remote is installed and you can do the walk-though with them pointing out what needs to be done. For the lawn crews, it's so quick to flag the heads for thatching and aerating without gettting wet and walking back and forth to the clock.

ARGOS
01-25-2009, 10:28 PM

I was surprised last month when I had previously wired a customers controller and later he had a valve go out. It's a large (lots of walking) property. He is the "lean over your back" type. I arrived and ran the valve remotely and it scored many browny points. BTW it was a richdel valve that only needed flushing. He referred me to his neighbor.

DanaMac
01-25-2009, 11:23 PM
I was surprised last month when I had previously wired a customers controller and later he had a valve go out. It's a large (lots of walking) property. He is the "lean over your back" type. I arrived and ran the valve remotely and it scored many browny points. BTW it was a richdel valve that only needed flushing. He referred me to his neighbor.

I agree that it is a help. But not an absolute must have. Systems can be set for 1-2 minutes, or run the test cycle on some controllers and go thru the system.

Waterit
01-25-2009, 11:30 PM
For a guy just going out on his own I think buying an RM is dumb. Save the $$ to get you through the periods when you have no work or cash-flow $ucks so you can do stuff like buy food.

Of course, this comes from a dork dweeb piker hack from FL who doesn't own an RM after only 27 years in the biz.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-26-2009, 09:12 AM

This says it all IMHO. Homerun Argos. Why go out and be like every other service guy when you can be two notches above with a remote? To say customers don't notice value and talent for their money will keep you fighting with the hacks for work.

AI Inc
01-26-2009, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=FIMCO-MEISTER;2722649]Remote is the single most important tool a service guy should have. Equals having a helper. QUOTE]

Better then a helper, It dosnt say stupid things in front of a customer and it never has a drinking problem.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-26-2009, 09:20 AM
I agree that it is a help. But not an absolute must have. Systems can be set for 1-2 minutes, or run the test cycle on some controllers and go thru the system.

Going through it and repairing it are two different things. I see a lot of systems that have been gone through. Unless there was a gusher nothing got done. If you believe a system should be better substantially due to your service call as I do then a remote is an awesome tool. If you believe sprinkler systems exist so you can get exercise walking then I definitely would not get a remote.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-26-2009, 09:25 AM
OMFG .... You know the name brand and type of equipment an irrigator has does NOT in any way relate to their knowledge or experience. I would bet Purp doesn't have a RM remote ... you wanna judge him and his experience on that .... :rolleyes:

Purp had a remote. He was a big big fan of remotes.

Waterit
01-26-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm a fan of remotes, also. Especially at the larger properties.

I'm just saying that when starting a business it shouldn't be a top priority to have an RM.

Kiril
01-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Purp had a remote. He was a big big fan of remotes.

Did he personally own a RM? ...... and you know what I was getting at.

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Just keep an eye on eBay auctions. It doesn't have to be an RM remote. A Sidekick would equally impress a homeowner. For that matter, so would the Hunter SRR, if the site's ready for it.

AI Inc
01-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Just keep an eye on eBay auctions. It doesn't have to be an RM remote. A Sidekick would equally impress a homeowner. For that matter, so would the Hunter SRR, if the site's ready for it.

Are they even making that anymore or is the new one replacing it?

TRILAWNCARE
01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
http://slo.craigslist.org/ele/993562612.html

TRILAWNCARE
01-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Rain Master Remote on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170294646340) Almost new used as a demo, purchased in 2008.....

******CAUTION******
NO "UA" MODULE

That "Universal Adapter" for hooking to off brand controllers.

hoskm01
01-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Rain Master Remote on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170294646340) Almost new used as a demo, purchased in 2008.....

******CAUTION******
NO "UA" MODULE

That "Universal Adapter" for hooking to off brand controllers.
Those can be had seperately. No?

Mike Leary
01-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Those can be had seperately. No?

Yup.......

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Did he personally own a RM? ...... and you know what I was getting at.

his school district used the eicon but was converting to the hunter remote as the controllers were getting updated. The bottom line is that I can get twice as much if not more work done on any size system than you walking fools.

Mike Leary
01-26-2009, 04:27 PM
The bottom line is that I can get twice as much if not more work done on any size system than you walking fools.

And with permanent recievers, you don't need to get out of the truck/golf cart.

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Just starting out, I would rather spend the $1500 for a remote, on making sure my vehicle is reliable, looks in top notch shape, business cards, maybe fliers or advertising, company shirts, pre-printed sales receipts, having enough inventory on hand, and just straight operating cash. Unless Uncles Peter, Mikey, Brandon and Dana are investors, Eddie could be running on a shoe string budget if he is out of a job soon or hours are cut. That's IF he were to out on his own. Don't know if he's chosen to yet, or will with this economy. Tough time to start up.

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Not to mention maybe a small ad in the local phone book, or maybe setting up a website.

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Not to mention maybe a small ad in the local phone book, or maybe setting up a website.

LOCAL book is critical in my mind. I have a decent ad in my local one for $500 for the year. It covers my area just outside Colorado Springs. Not one of the big yellow books where you get lost with all the other ads and spend $500 a month.

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
If he used AAA A Dancing Fool Sprinklers for a name, he could get a cheap ad in the big book and get all the folks who work by alphabetical order :cool2:

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 06:47 PM
If he used AAA A Dancing Fool Sprinklers for a name, he could get a cheap ad in the big book and get all the folks who work by alphabetical order :cool2:

I hate that philosophy of getting in with "A" at the front of your name. What if everybody went that route? Everybody would be listed under the "A"s. then what?

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 06:57 PM
And yet, there are folks who work from the top of the list.That is certainly going to convince me that this guy knows his stuff if he shows up with his own RM remote and a Fluke VOM.Spend the Fluke money on a new iPod, and buy a five dollar VOM from Harbor Freight :)

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2707/90899sr6.gif

Mike Leary
01-26-2009, 07:05 PM
And yet, there are folks who work from the top of the list.

And do well.

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 07:13 PM
If a business survives because it is at the top of the list, well then I'm not sure I personally want to hire that company. I personally would say a good name representing you or the industry or the area is better. Good ad with website on it helps too.

But hey, if you want to call "A Affordable Sprinkler" because they are at the top of the list, be my guest.

TRILAWNCARE
01-26-2009, 07:13 PM
The answer on how to succeed is right here on Lawn Site.com

Lawn Care Success (http://www.lawncaresuccess.com/)

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
The answer on how to succeed is right here on Lawn Site.com

Lawn Care Success (http://www.lawncaresuccess.com/)

Rep. Piker.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-26-2009, 07:28 PM
if eddie starts off servicing the old non remote way he'll just be another doofus in the repair biz. He'll just develop bad habits he may never break. He needs to start off from day one developing the habits of a guy who uses a remote in service. He's model IMHO should be remote set up all customers, upgrade upgrade upgrade, service contracts, get them back on the calendar for more upgrade.

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 07:29 PM
howzabout naming the new business A Piker Hack Irrigation Dweeb Dork (APHIDD)

Mike Leary
01-26-2009, 07:33 PM
I personally would say a good name representing you or the industry or the area is better. Good ad with website on it helps too.

Jeez, how did I survive without a website ad? :rolleyes:

TRILAWNCARE
01-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Have to have the right service truck for the job.... Expressing yourself is the key....

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=101&pictureid=636

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Jeez, how did I survive without a website ad? :rolleyes:

You were able to build a reputation before there were websites. and fire.

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 07:38 PM
if eddie starts off servicing the old non remote way he'll just be another doofus in the repair biz. He'll just develop bad habits he may never break. He needs to start off from day one developing the habits of a guy who uses a remote in service. He's model IMHO should be remote set up all customers, upgrade upgrade upgrade, service contracts, get them back on the calendar for more upgrade.

hey Waterit, looks like we have another name to add to our list of adjectives.

Mike Leary
01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Peter has lost his marbles.

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Peter has lost his marbles.Trying to move those pigtails, I imagine.

Just another rep. How sad.

EagleLandscape
01-26-2009, 08:28 PM
doofus' can't name their price. Their price is dictated by the market.

Peter knows his stuff.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Not telling eddie anything that I'm not cramming down henry and john jr's throat. Henry sees the light and realizes at the age of 24 he is far superior to most Dallas service techs. John is still going through remote revelation. The object is to show up on a job for the first time and destroy the work style and substance of all previous contractors. Make that customer your customer for life.

EagleLandscape
01-26-2009, 08:41 PM
BINGO!!

That way the customer will always want you back on the job, and won't settle for anything less.

I carry the TRC in my truck everywhere I go! (for my hoas I do walk throughs on, actual demanding service will use Rain Master on)

Peter, check your email by the way.

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
How much time do you spend on a one-broken-head job hooking up the remote? Of course, with those lost valve boxes, manual field operation might be a chore.

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 08:46 PM
doofus' can't name their price. Their price is dictated by the market.

Peter knows his stuff.

Virtually nobody in my market has a remote for residentials. We have the one TRC that is RB ESP compatible only, since that is the very predominant controller to the area. Yes I will get another remote this year, but here it does NOT mean you can name your price.

Let's say, theoretically, a start up here runs one hour each. Start up system, pressurize, BFV, pressurize manifold or mainline, check every zone looking for leaks, adjusting heads, clearing out nozzles, maybe replacing one head, and setting the controller. How much time is that remote going to save? If I can set every zone for 2 minutes using the controller on say an 8 zone system, that is 16 minutes to check all zones. If I can't check each zone, and adjust the 5-6 rotors on each, then I am slow and old.

So then replacing the one head takes maybe 10 minutes to go to the truck getting shovel, tools, and sprinkler head, and replacing. Then another 2 minutes to get the controller on and adjust.

Of that 18 minutes, how much will I save by having a remote? 2-4 minutes? You still need to take the appropriate time to adjust and check. The remote doesn't help me turn the water supply on in the crawl space or basement. Doesn't help cleaning the dirt out the PVB that prevented it from sealing the poppet and bonnet. Doesn't help in pressurizing the mainline. Doesn't help in setting the controller. Doesn't help dig up the head and replace. Doesn't help collect my money.

So.... yes a remote will help when a nozzle is clogged. Or needing a little more time in checking and adjusting a zone. But it is not the almighty. If I charged more because I used a remote, little old Mrs. Wood is going to ask why I charged more than before even though it only took 5 minutes less than before. On MOST of the systems here, it won't save that much time. 4, 6, 8 zone systems. 1/8 - 1/4 acre subdivision lots.

Winterizing? Nope. Most our controllers are indoors, and I try to schedule HOs to turn water off inside themselves and we can do without them home.

Sigh........................

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh well I've had my say. I'm of one mind on this subject. Gotta head to the truck for the radio version of the o'reilly factor. He is kicking that keith doofus on msnbc's butt.

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 09:00 PM
O'Reilly? Strictly for the Bush Leagues....

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Peter - I get you, but I'm saying it is something we CAN live without. The system will get fixed. It will get operational. It will get repaired. It might take 5-15 minutes longer. But that is still 15 minutes you are charging.

And if I didn't get the exercise of walking back and forth, I'd be 20 pounds heavier. and I am already at my max winter weight.

I personally don't want to pay someone MORE for doing something EASIER.

EagleLandscape
01-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Peter - I get you, but I'm saying it is something we CAN live without. The system will get fixed. It will get operational. It will get repaired. It might take 5-15 minutes longer. But that is still 15 minutes you are charging.

And if I didn't get the exercise of walking back and forth, I'd be 20 pounds heavier. and I am already at my max winter weight.

I personally don't want to pay someone MORE for doing something EASIER.

Think about it this way...

What if you could get the same amount of work done, in 30% less time. That would enable you to charge more per hour, therefor you would make more money in a day.

The same principal goes for having the right tools, ie: drill, the right shovel, pipe cutters...

Think if you had to do service all by a screwdriver, dig with a spoon, and use a serrated blade of pocket knife to cut your pipe.

Irrigation repair without a remote, is like digging a ditch with a bent spoon.

EagleLandscape
01-26-2009, 09:10 PM
How much time do you spend on a one-broken-head job hooking up the remote? Of course, with those lost valve boxes, manual field operation might be a chore.

Boots, that the thing. If we get a call for a broken head, the customer also knows that we will inspect the system by walking by every head on the property, with a remote in hand. We will also correct any problems we see, advise them of plants that are showing distress from too little water, or two much water.
The remote also enables us to talk the customer out with us into every zone of their system, and demonstrate that everything is working properly.

They called with a problem, we show up and become the solution, and we then show the customer that they made the right decision.

You have automatically increased the value of your services to the home owner, and they now trust you. (Rather than the contractor that rings the doorbell after a service call with an invoice, and never offers to show the entire system to the customer).

Customer's like to be involved, they like to know whats going on. A remote enables us to get the customer interacting, talking with us, we can demonstrate our knowledge at that point, and reiterate that we are the BEST.

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Think about it this way...

What if you could get the same amount of work done, in 30% less time. That would enable you to charge more per hour, therefor you would make more money in a day.

The same principal goes for having the right tools, ie: drill, the right shovel, pipe cutters...

Think if you had to do service all by a screwdriver, dig with a spoon, and use a serrated blade of pocket knife to cut your pipe.

Well, I guess I've been using a bent spoon forever now. Works pretty good. I would not save 30% of my time. No way. No how. Not on strictly residential. there is plenty of work that goes on without changing from station to station. Even a lot of our repairs are done without them home, and controllers are inside garage that we don't get to. they may tell me over the phone what is wrong, or leave a note and flagged area. We then operate manually at the valve.

EagleLandscape
01-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Can you turn a zone on and off 5 times in a minute by going back to the clock or manually activating the zone? We can. We can do it with one tech.

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 09:15 PM
You have automatically increased the value of your services to the home owner, and they now trust you. (Rather than the contractor that rings the doorbell after a service call with an invoice, and never offers to show the entire system to the customer).

Customer's like to be involved, they like to know whats going on.

Must be a Texas thing. Most of mine don't want to walk the property with us. And I don't want them too. I don't have enough time as it is. I don't ask my mechanic to show me the used oil, air filter, and old tires they just replaced. Or show me the rebuilt transmission or new muffler. I take their word they did it right.

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Can you turn a zone on and off 5 times in a minute by going back to the clock or manually activating the zone? We can. We can do it with one tech.

Not sure I've come across a time I've needed to. But yes, at the timer I could, if its an ESP.

Mike Leary
01-26-2009, 09:17 PM

"Way to go, Texas"!

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 09:21 PM
If you have a market of quarter-acre lots, with frame construction, you could operate the systems with the dinky SRR remote, and no pigtails needed. I installed Hunter controllers to get that capability.

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
If you have a market of quarter-acre lots, with frame construction, you could operate the systems with the dinky SRR remote, and no pigtails needed. I installed Hunter controllers to get that capability.

Same reason I got the TRC for ESPs only. The three landscapers we get a lot of work from all install ESPs. and most other companies here do as well.

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 09:27 PM
let's say 10 zones, two minutes each = 20 minutes. If I saved 25%, that would be 5 minutes saved. Of that 5 minutes I would also spend 1-3 minutes unpacking, hooking up, unhooking, and repacking.

Once again, I will state, yes it will help on some systems. Not all. And i hear you guys complaining of sending them in for major repairs every year or two.

Mike Leary
01-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Wow..........What pros

EagleLandscape
01-26-2009, 09:32 PM
What works for some, might not work for others. But from my experience, we can make more money with a remote, than we can without.
It also helps with Morale for the techs. I'd hate my life if I always had to jump through storage boxes, or bend over a tool bench to turn on and off zone 5 on a service call... go into the garage right when you get there, and go back at the end to get the receiver and remote case.

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Well, here's a to-the-point question. If you talk to a repair client, are you clear on whether a walkthrough of the entire system is expected? At per-hour rates, above and beyond what the repair would cost?

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Well, here's a to-the-point question. If you talk to a repair client, are you clear on whether a walkthrough of the entire system is expected? At per-hour rates, above and beyond what the repair would cost?

Yup. If I turned on the system early May in which I did a full walk through, and a head breaks in July, and a valve sticks in September, am I going to do a full walk through if things are looking good for each of those repairs? probably not.

Peter - don't go away mad about this. We value your opinion, honestly. But not every home needs a remote. go around for a day with me in the spring and you'll find out.

EagleLandscape
01-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Not many new customers that call. So everyone knows what to expect, because this not their first time around the block with this high quality of service. I think we have an ad in the phone book, but I'm not sure. No fliers, or mailings or anything.

EagleLandscape
01-26-2009, 09:52 PM

So on a call for a broken head, lets figure 20 minutes to turn on zone, go to truck, get parts, dig, and repair.

20 minutes @ 95 an hour = $31.66
New spray head = $8

Are you saying send them a bill for $39.66?

OR....

We fix the head in 20 minutes, and then we continue to work for the rest of the hour fixing as many problems as we can in that hour. The customer is already paying the minimum service call of $95.

If we find major problems such as a bad valve, we will bring the customer out into the yard, and explain what is wrong, and what it takes to fix it. We arent going to redo a valve and send them a 200 bill in an hour. Major repairs they will see, but if we spend the next 40 minutes of the service call raising heads, and straightening them, they will be impressed.

One thing Peter taught me was to use remaining time in the first hour of service call to bring one zone up-to-spec and make it look really good. Walk the customer out into the lawn, and show them how good it looks, and then show them how the other zones could use a little work. Ask them when we can schedule an additional service call to fix the other issues...

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 10:01 PM
John - we charge $65 for the first half hour. So Minimum of $65. So $65 + $10 for head and nozzle. $75. And we'll do a quick run thru if necessary.

Guys our markets are all different. If I had more time to spend with each customer in the spring, that would be great. But we can't keep up April thru July, and then we work on some of the re-dos and upgrades. Sure we could tell more people no, but then we also lose more money in the fall for blow outs.

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 10:02 PM
My service call buys you 30 minutes of mad skills. Parts extra. Runthrough extra, once the half-hour is done.

rlpsystems
01-26-2009, 10:02 PM
So on a call for a broken head, lets figure 20 minutes to turn on zone, go to truck, get parts, dig, and repair.

20 minutes @ 95 an hour = $31.66
New spray head = $8

Are you saying send them a bill for $39.66?

OR....

We fix the head in 20 minutes, and then we continue to work for the rest of the hour fixing as many problems as we can in that hour. The customer is already paying the minimum service call of $95.

If we find major problems such as a bad valve, we will bring the customer out into the yard, and explain what is wrong, and what it takes to fix it. We arent going to redo a valve and send them a 200 bill in an hour. Major repairs they will see, but if we spend the next 40 minutes of the service call raising heads, and straightening them, they will be impressed.

One thing Peter taught me was to use remaining time in the first hour of service call to bring one zone up-to-spec and make it look really good. Walk the customer out into the lawn, and show them how good it looks, and then show them how the other zones could use a little work. Ask them when we can schedule an additional service call to fix the other issues...

Perfect example of a great irrigation contractor.

Waterit
01-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Don't know if he's chosen to yet, or will with this economy. Tough time to start up.

Not an easy time to continue in, either.

howzabout naming the new business A Piker Hack Irrigation Dweeb Dork (APHIDD)

Dweeb-Dork-Doofus Hack Irrigation Piker Enterprises (3DHIPEE)

hey Waterit, looks like we have another name to add to our list of adjectives.

see above :laugh:

Waterit
01-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Perfect example of a great irrigation contractor.

Peter, and by extension John, certainly are that. Wish Peter'd had more time to spend here last week, it was a great learning experience.

Kiril
01-26-2009, 11:14 PM
The bottom line is that I can get twice as much if not more work done on any size system than you walking fools.

I seriously doubt that given the typical lot size out here. Many times, I don't even bother with the controller and just trigger the vales manually.

I do have one of those idiotic Hunter remotes and you want to know where it is ...... still in the box never used. For me personally, my ROI for a RM remote would take longer than I will be alive. I would rather spend my money on far more useful tools, like high end moisture probes, laboratory diagnostic equipment, sub-foot GPS units, etc..., stuff that I will actually USE on a regular basis.

Bottomline ... having a RM remote does not translate to an experienced, qualified and intelligent service tech. I could teach a 12 year old how to use a remote, does that mean they are qualified to trouble shoot an irrigation system or hydrozone problems?

I could just as easily say that if an irrigation tech doesn't have a soil sampler they are a hack. How many irrigation techs have a soil sampler? And if you don't, why not? How do you determine the proper depth to irrigate to if you don't have any idea what your effective root zone is?

Anyhow, all that being said, if you are going to be a 24/7 irrigation service tech then you should have a remote. :laugh:

Kiril
01-26-2009, 11:31 PM

Yes ... I can stand by a valve and manually activate it 5 times in a minute. I think the more appropriate question is ... why would you even need to do that? What possible reason could you have to turn a zone on/off 5 times inside a minute?

We arent going to redo a valve and send them a 200 bill in an hour. Major repairs they will see, but if we spend the next 40 minutes of the service call raising heads, and straightening them, they will be impressed.

No offense man, but if you are going to stick me for a 1 hour service call regardless, then you damn well better spend a productive hour on my property. Doing the job you are paid for doesn't not translate to making an impressed in my book, well maybe other than showing you are not a scam. The quality of your work is what will impress me, not having a remote, and not doing the work you were paid for.

Waterit
01-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Anyhow, all that being said, if you are going to be a 24/7 irrigation service tech then you should have a remote. :laugh:

24 days/month, 7 months per year - that's about right for the NW and Rocky Mountain crowd:rolleyes:

Wet_Boots
01-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I thought it was 24 minutes a day, 7 days a month :)

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Some tools may be considered toys by others. Having every single tool and toy will not make you a better irrigation tech. Education and experience will.

Kiril
01-26-2009, 11:46 PM
Some tools may be considered toys by others. Having every single tool and toy will not make you a better irrigation tech. Education and experience will.

Agreed. If you have a need for a remote, and it WILL get used and WILL save you time, then by all means get one. If you don't have a need for one, or you find yourself only needing one a couple times a year, then IMHO it is a worthless tool. A tool unused is a worthless investment.

Waterit
01-26-2009, 11:50 PM

Shoulda posted this where Junior could see it :laugh:

DanaMac
01-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Shoulda posted this where Junior could see it :laugh:

Up his.... oh never mind....

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Me mad? never! Obstinate? Forever! True you may not need the remote on every job but it needs to be a first tool out of the truck habit. If you had pigtails hooked up and ready to go it doesn't take five minutes to hook up. Boots we all know your are a cheap zzz anyway.

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Me mad? never! Obstinate? Forever! True you may not need the remote on every job but it needs to be a first tool out of the truck habit. If you had pigtails hooked up and ready to go it doesn't take five minutes to hook up. Boots we all know your are a cheap zzz anyway.

Well when you are on a 1 man service truck a RM is going to be the best tool in the lot..that and a multimeter..

IMHO worth the $$

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-27-2009, 07:54 AM
eddie I'll giveyou lots of moral support and phone talk as needed. Style plus substance equals unstoppable.

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-27-2009, 08:12 AM
One more thing. I may turn off a small six zone system thirty plus times. I stand over every head and turn it on and off for leakage checking. I don't flag. Total waste of time. Have your tray, shooter, remote, and just get things fixed as you see them. An irrigator walking around with nothing but flags in his hand gets the evil eye from me.

Kiril
01-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Who flags? I got a pretty good memory, plus there is something to be said for leaving a system running while looking for leaks, as some leaks are not immediately apparent. I see a remote as a convenience tool on small lots, not an essential tool. Big lots, complexes, HOA's, ect... then it becomes an essential tool.

Maybe we should start a thread for all the "essential" tools/toy for irrigators?

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-27-2009, 09:29 AM
we need to divide it into three categories IMHO.
To be an average irrigator tools
To be a great irrigator tools
To be a scientific irrigator tools

On a side note. I'm at a really interesting park in Florida called paynes prairie. Have an awesome tent site with no neighbors until yesterday. A young couple with a less than six month old baby constantly screaming and crying. Talk about ruining an idyllic moment. Trying to read desert Cadillac and every five minutes a gut wrenching scream.

Waterit
01-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Let's add another category:
To be a dork dweeb piker hack doofus irrigator

FIMCO-MEISTER
01-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Let's add another category:
To be a dork dweeb piker hack doofus irrigator

One word for that homeowner

ARGOS
02-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Peter. Thanks for the pigtails. Broke out the RM for the first time yesterday and it worked like a dream. I will be ordering more as I go through the customer base.

Ps. I copied the wiring guide and shrunk it down and laminated two copies. Thanks.

DanaMac
02-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Peter. Thanks for the pigtails. Broke out the RM for the first time yesterday and it worked like a dream. I will be ordering more as I go through the customer base.

Ps. I copied the wiring guide and shrunk it down and laminated two copies. Thanks.

I got 45 pigtails from him this last week (actually 46 :waving: thx Peter) Ordering more later in March. I am thinking the same about laminating a smaller copy of the wiring order. Actually TomTom mentioned it yesterday at the shop whilst we were drinking cocktails

ARGOS
02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
I got 45 pigtails from him this last week (actually 46 :waving: thx Peter) Ordering more later in March. I am thinking the same about laminating a smaller copy of the wiring order. Actually TomTom mentioned it yesterday at the shop whilst we were drinking cocktails

I think I will be able to remember the first twelve, but after that it becomes mush.

I sure could use 45. I also need the season to start for the cash flow to kick in...

DanaMac
02-28-2009, 02:07 PM
I think I will be able to remember the first twelve, but after that it becomes mush.

I sure could use 45. I also need the season to start for the cash flow to kick in...

Of the 45, TomTom took 11 or 12 for now. I'm going to try and install some this week while it is warm. I am going to have one of my guys doing some busy work. His unemployment ran out, and he's having family problems. So we'll be doing some this week. But yes I would like cash flow to start coming in before I buy more. Just received my annual insurance bill/overview!!! Ouch.

ARGOS
02-28-2009, 02:18 PM
ust received my annual insurance bill/overview!!! Ouch.

Throw it away...helps cash flow.

The insurance bills always give me an ulcer.

HokieAg07
02-28-2009, 02:18 PM

Once you do a good bit of them you will remember the colors/order easily.

There is actually a pattern so if you think of it that way as well it should be fairly easy.

Yes I spend way to much time with my Rainmaster...

ARGOS
02-28-2009, 02:19 PM

There is actually a pattern so if you think of it that way as well it should be fairly easy.

Yes I spend way to much time with my Rainmaster...

I still have the "mush" part to contend with. But then again after seeing the CSR video maybe my mind isn't as mushy as I thought.

AI Inc
02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Just received my annual insurance bill/overview!!! Ouch.

Shop it. I did last winter and cut mine in 1/2 .Saved $5500 , or to look at it another way, got paid for 73 blowouts without leaving the house.

Mike Leary
02-28-2009, 03:57 PM

Ho, ho, you're a smarter man than me; I have to look at the list after #8! :dizzy:

DanaMac
02-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Shop it. I did last winter and cut mine in 1/2 .Saved $5500 , or to look at it another way, got paid for 73 blowouts without leaving the house.

We are shopping it. But it's only about $6500 total for 2 mil liablity, three vehicles, insurance on shop, tools in case of being stolen, compressors. About half of it is for the three vehicles.

AI Inc
02-28-2009, 05:22 PM
I was paying $4500 for 3 trucks, now I am paying $2850 for four.Cut liability from $4500 to $2500 .

ARGOS
02-28-2009, 07:52 PM
I was paying $4500 for 3 trucks, now I am paying $2850 for four.Cut liability from $4500 to $2500 .

I think I am in a similar price. I am in the $5500 for total (2 mil lia, shop/yard, 4 trucks, equipment). Reputable company.