PDA

View Full Version : measure yards from ariel view

freshfitz
01-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I built a site with satellite measuring tools to help measure yards, Check it out
http://measurefromouterspace.com/

corey4671
01-25-2009, 06:41 PM
sorry dude...doesn't work

Greg78
01-25-2009, 06:44 PM
works for me. Cool :usflag:

JDUtah
01-26-2009, 02:43 AM
didn't work for me

Henry
01-26-2009, 08:48 AM
A little confusing at first but it did work for me.

RickR1818
01-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Worked Great! I have bookmarked the site and plan on using it alot this season!

Turboguy
01-26-2009, 12:02 PM
It worked great for me. I can really see this helping me. There are lots of times I have to try to give someone a price over the phone or go by thier estimate which is often way off.

I tried it on my business property and the measurments it gave were dead on. I have always wondered about the size of some property across the street that I own and will try that next.

Yes, I am going to spread the word on this program.

The only negative I can see is that they don't update the maps very often so on a new home, which I get a lot of, it may not help. They tore down a building next to my business last year and it still shows on the arial maps.

Kiril
01-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Google earth can be used to do the same thing.
There is also a program call WorldWind that could also do this if memory serves me correctly, however map updates are less frequent, and resolution not as good.

Turboguy
01-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Map updates to me are the biggest problem. I mentioned earlier that I tried it out on my business property. There was a steel mill right next to my facilities that was torn down well over a year ago and it still shows in the photos they use.

Since I am doing mostly new lawn seeding if they had up to the minute photos this would be a wonderful thing for me. I get calls to seed someones front lawn who is 30 miles away and if I go out and measure it takes me almost as long as it does to do the job and eats into my profit as well as taking time I may not have in the busy season. It would be cool to be able to pull up that program and see exactly how much area they have worked up and do an acurate phone estimate. That would not work with even day old photos never the less photos that are a couple of years old. There are things like slopes that would keep it from being totally acurate. The last job I did in the fall was an hour and a half drive from me. I was told it was 25,000 square feet and it turned out to be 70,000 square feet. A program like this could help me make sure I go with materials to finish the job and not have to come back for supplies. I am not sure if I will ever be able to use it but I do think it is a really cool program and there may be times it helps.

Kiril
01-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Since I am doing mostly new lawn seeding if they had up to the minute photos this would be a wonderful thing for me.

Don't hold your breath. :)

LushGreenLawn
01-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Not bad for free. Its a little more simplified than google earth, nothing to download or open. I'm not sure if you are thinking about making this a paid service in the future, but I don't think people will pay for the small convience of not having to download google earth.

If you are looking for something a little more advanced, check out goIlawn.com. It is fee based, but very good in my opinion. Check out my thread titled "Lawn estimating Tool" in the Fertilizing section.

MowHouston
01-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Or you could get the lot size online from your county's property tax site.

Zillow.com provides some great aerial views also.

I personally just go off of lot sizes for lawn mowing.

Runner
01-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Not quite as user friendly as google Earth, but it DOES allow you to just do perimeters and tells you the area. this is only available with the google Earth paid subscription packages.

kclawn1
02-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Very cool idea. I think your website could come in handy for a lot of people. Zillow is also a great tool to use.

TMlawncare
02-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Just tried it out. It gets you pretty close w/o using the wheel.

tglasslawncare
02-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Worked well for me. Thanks

1wezil
02-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks ! I think it works better the google earth :clapping:

freshfitz
02-13-2009, 02:02 PM
I added total lot size if it's available

http://measurefromouterspace.com/