PDA

View Full Version : SS220 ride-on applicator

americanlawn
01-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Has anybody seen it or tried this unit in the field? thanks, rscvp.

http://www.northernturfequipment.com

RigglePLC
01-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Several nice features, but i do not like the electric controls, electric spinner and three electric pumps. I love that it has hand operated hydraulic brakes on the big front wheels.

americanlawn
01-25-2009, 09:55 PM
When I stood on this machine, it "wobbled" -- without even moving. (not good) .....we then noticed that it was "top heavy"....not good either. Dry weight is only 265 pounds?? --- Makes ya wonder?

It's best feature was the Spyker spreader.

So far, "it's gotta be" (no offense PG) a T3000 or a Z-Spray. IMO. (Z-Sprays for open ground or T3000 for open ground as well as small areas).

Turfcobob & we looked at the unit at the Iowa Turfgrass Conference this past week. Bob will never criticizes any competitors, but I will......My opinion = It's junk. Please keep in mind that we have never demo'd this unit in the field, so I could be wrong.

Still looking for folks who have used the SS220 in the field. thanks, rscvp

ted putnam
01-25-2009, 10:45 PM
"Wobbly" doesn't surprise me. The frame looks like the frame that was on a POS BBQ grill me and my 3 roomy's had back in college. Difference is that thing would have to work hard every day. The grill only had to cook a few burgers every now and then. :laugh:

DUSTYCEDAR
01-25-2009, 11:01 PM
till i get a chance to beat on it i wont call it crap.

SpreadNSpray
01-25-2009, 11:15 PM
The specs do look good. But I would agree with Riggle, on the electrical. I would also have to take a look at the frame and construction. Im not too sure I would even consider this machine...I would have to be 100% confident on parts availability and customer service.

I'm interested to see what the feedback is on the T3000 during the 2009 season. Considering this will be the first year the T3000's are in full production. Since the T3000 is priced $1000.00 more than the Zspray Jr, it should be able to kick out some big production numbers with quality results.

ted putnam
01-25-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm interested to see what the feedback is on the T3000 during the 2009 season. Considering this will be the first year the T3000's are in full production. Since the T3000 is priced $1000.00 more than the Zspray Jr, it should be able to kick out some big production numbers with quality results.

I am interested for all the reasons you stated here but the #1 question I have is will it "take a licking and keep on ticking"?

rcreech
01-25-2009, 11:25 PM
All I can say is...you only get one chance to spend your money on a ride on (unless you trade, or upgrade)! Why would one buy a unit like that when there are so many others out here that we know WORK?

With the Z, PG and T...I don't think one needs to look much further IMO anyway!

americanlawn
01-26-2009, 08:17 PM
This unit might be good...I can't say cuz I never used it. I noticed billyc's snide remarks have been deleted cuz he had nothing to offer other than critizing members....duh, so do away with his input. (as usual)

"M" & I checked out this unit closely (in person) -- immediately we experienced the same thing. It "wobbled" - even on a flat surface -- not a good indication. Then there was the "tank" It features an elongated tank that starts from the bottom and rises up to just under the handler bars. It was top heavy with no liquid - then we thought what if it had lawn juice in the tank.....it would be even more top heavy (IE: not safe)??

Not trying to tear this unit down, just saying what we saw. Keep in mind - I could be totally wrong. Anybody have actual experience with this unit?