PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BR 380 / 420/ 550 vs Echo backpacks?

pectin232
01-26-2009, 12:07 AM
I have a 0.6 acre of yard with lots of wood and leaves in the fall is amazingly a lot... did not know about this until I moved there a year ago. I have a tiny homelit blower handheld... it is terrible... cannot move anything from the grass if it rains I can forget about doing anything.. anyway I would let it dry out 1-3 days before doing anything... I am thinking of getting the Stihl BR 380/ 420 or 550... which is better or should I get a handheld one.. which might be tiring. I use to drive the mower around the leaves and that takes like 3 hours or more easily. I need something to move leaves.. they are a lot but I do not need a rocket and $$ with this economy... How does this compared to Echo top Backpackers? warranty breakdowns... etc.. How does the BR 380D compared to a BR 420?

jkingrph
01-26-2009, 11:12 AM
I had an old Stihl handheld, about 18-20 years old, still going strong and still have it, but it got to where my arm hurt when using it. I have just over 1.7 acres of yard. I bit the bullet and bought a Stihl BR 600 and find I spend less than 1/4 the time blowing as before. My advice is get as much power as you can afford, you will never regret it!! The only problem is if I get too close to some natural rock borders it will blow rocks up to the weight of bricks and stay away from small gravel in walks.