PDA

View Full Version : Use of Flowers in Front Yard??

Blmtlandscapes
01-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Hello, I'm currently taking a class in landscape design and all the principles seem to make a lot of sense but I am struggling with one of them that I recently learned. The class teaches that flowers should not be used in the "public area" of the house (the front yard). If they are to be used it should only be in the front door area. The reason for this is because the front door is the main focal point and flowers in other areas may take away from that focal point. This makes since to me but a part of me thinks that it is a little extreme. No flowers anywhere else in the front yard?!

EagleLandscape
01-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Not true.....

This could be why this person is teaching a class... they probably couldn't succeed in the real world based on their design theory.

It's a good textbook answer, but it's not practical.

paradise32258
01-26-2009, 04:48 PM
i agree , look at the yards in florida the whole yard has stratigically placed flowers, they do not pull your eye away fromthe entry way. the entry way should stand out though.

Isobel
01-27-2009, 09:47 PM
that's one person's opinion.

I've always found flowers dress up and add to a front entrance, not detract from it.

I've never really understood landscape design classes--landscaping isnt an exact science, there isn't any one right way of doing it.

LindblomRJ
01-27-2009, 09:49 PM
That is silly concept. If you do perhaps pick a color that contrast the entrance or makes it stand out.

What is pleasing to the eye. What looks good to you and to your customer?

White Gardens
01-28-2009, 04:39 PM
I agree with all you guys. Sure, you don't want too much to draw away from any focal points, but done the right way and it dresses a place up.

Blmtlandscapes
01-28-2009, 08:29 PM
yeah thats what I was thinking. I don't think you can be too strict about some design principles

STRINGALATION
02-10-2009, 11:36 AM
THAT CONCEPT was in my course i took through corespondence. the way i took that was a house with nothing but a flower bed in the middle of the yard . with no foundation planting or borders. if thats the same course as you go along a read the supplementals you'll see it did not mean specificly not to have flowers in front of a house but in the design process the whole point is to draw you vision to the door.

and before you guys ger off on a tangent i know real world experience is priceless but some times teminology and lingo help aswell as the little things. atleast it has him thinking