PDA

View Full Version : How to Calculate for Trees/Shrubs

EagleLandscape
01-26-2009, 03:15 PM
So the need has finally come to buy a spray tank. We burn through granular stuff like a kid in a candy store. Labor is killing me to apply 2-3 chemicals per once visit using granular, and I now have jobs that only a spray tank can do the job on.

I've never sprayed trees or shrubs, however I have my applicators license.

Right now I'm bidding on a property that has 18 mowable acres (not a big deal, most of our hoa's are 3-12 acres, so it's not anything we can't handle.) Also has to be scalped and overseeded with Rye each year.

The contract for the mowing, turf fert, preM, and rye grass is $65,000 a year. I still have to add mulch, seasonal color (this community sits on the golf course to the 4 seasons hotel in dallas, so it has to look perfect all the time), irrigation checks, hedge trimming, shrubs and tree spraying.

I am going to guess this contract will be 125k+ by the time I am done with the bid.

HOWEVER... the only thing I don't have any experience with is how to calculate the quantities for spraying of shrubs, ornamental trees, and larger trees. They call for annual pest spraying (which IPM says don't spray if not present, but I still need that line item in the bid). And ornamental tree and large tree fertilization. This development probably has 400+ large Live Oaks, and Red Oaks, and maybe the same amount of Crape Myrtles and Wax Myrtles.
I would assume assume a few thousand linear ft of shrubs as well.

How do I gather the amount of chemicals needed if I am using liquid? Especially for the larger trees? How many gallons of foliar spray would it take for shrubs? or a chemical my Lesco friend told me about Davey Arbor Green (sup. really good for larger trees).

Just ranting, but I need some help on where to start on quantifying this new task. I'm looking forward to getting rid of using the spreader all the time, and mixing 2-3 things at once:)

HELP

greendoctor
01-26-2009, 03:26 PM
I figure on up to 10 gallons of liquid per 1000 sq ft of shrubs. For trees, most of my trees are canopy type trees, so that estimate is applicable. My advice to anyone spraying shrubs, groundcovers and hedges is coverage, coverage coverage!!!!!!!. I use a special gun/nozzle arangement for getting the spray under leaves. It is not a gun with the orifice pointed straight forward. A straight gun is for trees only or for drenching ornamentals with liquids. I am the one who does not use any granules, not even fertilizer.

greendoctor
01-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Arbor Green is a suspension fertilizer made with powdered UF. That is intended to be applied as a soil injection at the rate of 2 lb N per 1000 sq ft of dripline. The rig you apply this with needs mechanical agitation and a very durable pump. It is very abrasive and hard to mix. I use clear solution SRN and limit total N per 1000 to less than 1 lb. Something about shooting a large quantity of N does not sit well with me. In warm climates, if you need to have things looking perfect, I find spoon feeding is the ticket. The labor to spray feed shrubs and beds is lower than to topdress with granules. On many plants, you do not blast granules over the top. It will burn, and there went the perfect landscape.

EagleLandscape
01-26-2009, 04:34 PM
How would I estimate materials needed for spraying trees? Is it dependant on the canopy size I would assume?

Typically I double materials for granular, and then add $45 per acre for labor (out sites are multiple acres).

Thanks,

greendoctor
01-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Yes you would base on canopy size or for columnar trees height. My pricing is based on a minimum 30% retail margin for materials and a $25 fee per 1000 sq ft. An acre is charged at $100 per acre. If you spray trees and shrubs from a hand held gun instead of an airblast orchard sprayer, you will understand why. It is more labor intensive and time consuming than hand gunning a lawn.

EagleLandscape
01-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Am I reading this right?

You charge $25 bucks per 1000' sq ft of shrubs for the application, + materials at your certain markup?

And you charge $100 per acre for labor to spray + materials, is that correct?

greendoctor
01-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Very correct. It takes almost as much time to set up for a small property, which I service the majority of the time as a large property. On the other hand, large properties, 1 acre+ start to run up the bill material wise. I do not blanket spray properties and I do not have a one-size-fits-all spray mix sitting in a 200 gallon skid. I forgot to mention this is my fee structure for accounts not on my maintenance program. My method for accounts on a maintenance program is to estimate the time needed per month/year to spray and project material cost from there. I have to do it this way. Some plantings are very high maintenance and I have no intention of eating the cost. You do not have pest magnets like gardenia and hibiscus to maintain, right? I do. This is how I can stand to apply expensive chemicals such as Forbid for mite control and Merit for whitefly when needed. To give you an idea, it takes me 10 minutes per 1000 sq ft and 10 gallons of liquid for trees and shrubs. Figure out how many times per year you will have to do this and with what. What I need to do is probably very different from your situation. The pests here are insane.

EagleLandscape
01-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Ok, so I'm bidding on a new shopping center that has approx 2,400 linear ft of shrubs that range from 3' - 4' high. All in rows, so approx 18" deep.

My Lesco guy couldnt give me an answer on how many gallons I would need to spray this area, he said it was "Trial and Error." Went I don't want my error to make me go broke. HA.

How many gallons of liquid should it take to spray those types of shrubs?

Does anyone have an amount for small trees? Like Crape & Wax Myrtles? like .25 gallons per tree?

greendoctor
01-31-2009, 12:31 AM
I would be thinking at least 200 gallons for the rows of shrubs. It may be more or less depending on how dense they are. By my calculation, that is around 21,000 of surface area. If you are applying with a JD-9 type gun, required volume goes way up, even then underleaf coverage is not what I would like it to be. Take note of how some products such as Sevin have restrictions on the permitted quantity that may be applied per acre. So if it takes you 600 gallons per acre, applying 1.25 lb 80 WP per 100 is an overage. For small trees, I allow 5 gallons for a tree up to 15' in height, covering a ground area of 250 sq ft.

EagleLandscape
02-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm trying to gather mixture information for some LESCO chemicals, but their website is junk and doesn't supply the label information.

Does anyone know another resource to find out how much product to mix per gallon, and prices for products such as:

MACRON 20-20-20
CHELATED IRON 12-0-0
CHELATED MICRO MIX
14-14-14 ORNAMENTAL FERTILIZER
HORTICULTURAL OIL

phasthound
02-01-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm trying to gather mixture information for some LESCO chemicals, but their website is junk and doesn't supply the label information.

Does anyone know another resource to find out how much product to mix per gallon, and prices for products such as:

MACRON 20-20-20
CHELATED IRON 12-0-0
CHELATED MICRO MIX
14-14-14 ORNAMENTAL FERTILIZER
HORTICULTURAL OIL

Here's a good resource for pesticide labels & MSDS.
http://www.cdms.net/LabelsMsds/LMDefault.aspx?t=

EagleLandscape
02-01-2009, 05:26 PM
aha!

I was having trouble getting LESCO to display products when I entered their product number, but I found a way to add numbers to my favorite items, and they finally popped up. Had the price and size listed, and my lesco rep had given me the mixture information in email, just didnt see it.

but still, their website is no good.