PDA

View Full Version : 2000 International low pro--opinions?

srl28
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Was at a recent landscape and nursery trade show, the NJNLA show for those of you who are close by :waving: And I met with a truck dealer who had a nice looking international low pro mason dump for sale. We re looking to add to our fl-50 and chevy 4500 or possibly replace the 4500.

It was at one point a chem lawn truck. Its a 2000, has 93k on it, alison auto trans, brand new low side mason dump body, 23,500 GVW, very clean inside and out, looks almost new. Guy puts it thru his shop and makes sure they re all good to go with no problems and so forth.

Now this truck has the 444 engine in it, the 7.3 diesel. Now is this too little of an engine for a 23,500 GVW truck? it will need to pull our 10k enclosed mowing trailer and occasionally our 10k equipment trailer, stone, topsoil etc. Is this enough truck? The colors were right, price was really great and the guy wasnt a jerk to deal with. Is the truck worth it in your mind? It has been seemingly well maintained and all, just looking for some input on it.

Gravel Rat
01-26-2009, 07:00 PM
The truck will be slow but so is the Freightliners with the 5.9 Cummins. The 444 was used in school busses they swing fullsize 22.5 rubber.

I would say if the truck is in good shape go for it. When you put a load on the truck maybe a little slow. The truck itself is pretty heavy with a truck cab on a lighter chassis not much legal payload left.

srl28
01-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Well ive heard that the truck like this weighs around 12k empty, so that leaves about 10k for payload, give or take. my freightliner has the CAT 3126 and is a little slow but not too bad. This is the low pro model international so it sits on 19.5s. Just hoping that the 444 will have enough "testicular fortitude" to do the job. Will it?

Gravel Rat
01-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Well its definatly not going to have the power as your Freighliner. One of the septic companys has a 4700 International with 444 power and 6 spd manual with fullsize 22.5 rubber. The truck does suprisingly well with a 500 gallon poo tank and pump etc.

Marek
01-26-2009, 10:20 PM
We had a International with the 444 and a 16' mulch body. Empty it was ok but with any sort of load it couldnt get out of its own way. There are tons of others out there to choose from. Go to truckpaper.com and look around. My brother in law has over 20 larger trucks and said he would never own another International, he said parts are expensive. With his Freightliners he said he can get anything in a matter of a few hrs. A local tow co. has been trading there low pros for Hinos, the owner said they were costing them to much to keep on the road and the Hinos get much better mpgs.

srl28
01-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Ive heard that FLs are made cheap and suck, i must disagree for one but to each his own ya know. Every ones got an opinion.

Marek- a 16' body seems like it would be somewhat overloading a 444 Ill admit that. but the truck in question has a 10ft mason dump on it and that seems to not be as much of a load ya know.

srl28
01-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Heres a picture of the truck from the dealers website.

srl28
01-26-2009, 11:08 PM
having trouble getting the pic up but

Gravel Rat
01-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Not a bad little truck couldn't go offroad with it thou the front bumper would become a dozer blade :laugh:

AintNoFun
01-26-2009, 11:31 PM
a coast cities special?

fool32696
01-26-2009, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't hesitate buying it. Slow yes, but that motor is proven.

srl28
01-26-2009, 11:54 PM
haha Aint no fun, you got it. Why is that a bad thing? Never dealt with them, any good?

Seemed to be a good deal, and hell if its slow thats not always a bad thing. seems to be a decent truck. Being that its an ex chem lawn truck is that a negative? They would be well maintained as it is a fleet vehicle

mow king
01-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Only negative I could see - Is I'm pretty sure their pump systems are run of the PTO - so the truck may have low miles but a bazillion hours from idling at jobs pumping chemicals.

srl28
01-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Good point! thought of that and your right but a diesel can idle for hours with no big deal but you are right. it was run off a PTO which has been removed after it was turned into a dump

AintNoFun
01-27-2009, 11:42 AM
i bought a truck sometime last year from them.. they do have some good trucks and they do have some bad abused trucks.. i had my mechanic pick through about 6 before he found a really good one.. i did have a problem with the truck brought it in they had it fixed in a day with no bs.. but i have heard some horror stories about them as well.. but thats it they were stories!

haha Aint no fun, you got it. Why is that a bad thing? Never dealt with them, any good?

Seemed to be a good deal, and hell if its slow thats not always a bad thing. seems to be a decent truck. Being that its an ex chem lawn truck is that a negative? They would be well maintained as it is a fleet vehicle

srl28
01-27-2009, 05:54 PM
hmm, what problems did they find? what kind of truck did you end up getting?

AintNoFun
01-27-2009, 09:36 PM
hmm, what problems did they find? what kind of truck did you end up getting?

i bought a box truck.. some trucks had blow by, some had fluids that looked like theyve never been change, some had alot of cutting and welding in the frame, etc..

srl28
01-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Well ive noticed that he does buy longer frame vehicles and chops the frame and tosses a new body on and sells em, may be the reason for some cutting and welding and all. Hmm, glad ive got that little tid bit of info now, somewhat scares me but....

so would you buy from them again? whats your opinion on the truck Im looking at?

TomberLawn
01-28-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen that truck on truckpaper.com before. Nice looking truck. I'd prefer a 466, but the 444 aren't bad. Just be glad it isn't a 360.

Just checked truckpaper.com and see that they have 5 of these trucks, no prices listed. What do they want for it? They've got a couple 466s listed. How much do they want for those?

AintNoFun
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Well ive noticed that he does buy longer frame vehicles and chops the frame and tosses a new body on and sells em, may be the reason for some cutting and welding and all. Hmm, glad ive got that little tid bit of info now, somewhat scares me but....

so would you buy from them again? whats your opinion on the truck Im looking at?

yea if i found another truck there i liked i would buy from again.. most of his trucks are all old ryder trucks and he puts the bodies on.. im not a fan of the way lo pros look or that 444 motor either, but if the price is right who cares..

srl28
01-28-2009, 03:19 PM
yea not crazy about the looks either thats for sure but we could dress it up a little. Ive got an offer of around 16,500 for that one. Would rather the 466 but just cant find anything with a 10 or 12' dump and not under 125k. Thats what we re really lookin for, anything between 18k GVW and 25,999 GVW

AintNoFun
01-28-2009, 05:43 PM
yea not crazy about the looks either thats for sure but we could dress it up a little. Ive got an offer of around 16,500 for that one. Would rather the 466 but just cant find anything with a 10 or 12' dump and not under 125k. Thats what we re really lookin for, anything between 18k GVW and 25,999 GVW

i always see some nice ex state trucks on ebay, id hold out for one of them if your not in a rush.. spec'd out to the max and you know they have never been truly worked...

srl28
01-28-2009, 08:48 PM
True, just cant find them in the GVW kind of specs we re looking for as most are cdl class trucks and dont need a plow or spreader which most of them have.

J&R Landscaping
01-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Have you checked Miranda Motors??

srl28
01-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Yea but cant really find anything there, not lookin for a switch and go set up and they have tons of them. Cant find the body or combo we need