PDA

View Full Version : DOE rulemaking about lamps.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-26-2009, 06:57 PM
This just in from the IESNA Legislative & Regulatory Committee:

Proposed DOE Efficiency Rulemaking about Linear Fluorescent and Halogen PAR Lamps
from IES’s Legislative and Regulatory Committee requesting members’ feedback to DOE
The federal Department of Energy (DOE) is proposing more stringent, efficiency regulations on the 4’ and 8’ linear fluorescent lamps and Halogen PAR lamps. While the regulations are not final, the proposed fluorescent regulations are anticipated to eliminate most 4’ and 8’ T-12 lamps. The proposed Halogen PAR regulations are high and are anticipated to eliminate most current Halogen PAR lamps leaving only some shapes of high-efficiency Halogen-IR lamps.
DOE will accept comments, data, and information regarding the proposed regulations (NOPR) up until 60 days after official publication in the Federal Register, which is expected any day. Any member with an interest or concern should consider commenting. DOE is obliged to respond to comments. Further, a public meeting will be held on February 3rd, 2009, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm in Washington, DC at the Forrestal Building, Room 1E-245, 1000 Independence Avenue. A copy of the proposed regulation can be downloaded at: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/appliance_standards/residential/incandescent_lamps_nopr.html

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-26-2009, 07:16 PM
This is important stuff guys... I encourage you all to contact the appropriate government officials and ensure that they do not mess around with LOW VOLTAGE PAR LAMPS! Remind them that 12V lighting is inherently more efficient then 120V lighting as it delivers 33% more light per watt consumed.

I would hate to see them over look this and end up eliminating Halogen MR16 lamps! It could happen... you know how dumb bureaucracies can be!

Regards.

NiteTymeIlluminations
01-26-2009, 10:10 PM
whats wrong with highly efficient halogen IR lamps?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-26-2009, 11:13 PM
Nothing is 'wrong' with halogen IR lamps... except for their limited availability in all wattages and beam spreads. I often use Hi IR MR16s in my interior projects.

There is also nothing 'wrong' with all the standard halogen MR16 lamps (well except those darned Ushio Ultralines... there is a lot wrong with those! :) ) and it would be a shame to see them rendered unavailable.

JoeyD
01-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Something tells me this act is looking to eliminate 120v Pars? But we will dive rigth into this........Thanks for posting

JoeyD
01-27-2009, 10:58 AM
GE is going to reconfirm but this came up some time ago and LV Landscape Lighting Halogen Par lamps will not be affected by this.........Landscape Lighting is not regulated. GE will be trying to get me some sound info to show why LV Par lamps are not included in this but like I previously stated this DOE / EERE study does not include our LV lamps but rather focus's on 120v applications.

NiteTymeIlluminations
01-27-2009, 01:52 PM
maybe they should start regulating it and maybe people wouldn't be able to use a 50 watt mr16 60 degree to light a skinney tree. How many guys out there use the incorrect lamp because its available.

JoeyD
01-27-2009, 02:05 PM
True that!! LOL I think they have that regulation in some places and its called Dark Sky?

NiteTymeIlluminations
01-27-2009, 02:11 PM
dark sky sorta scares me...lol...seesm sorta..."dark"

there are lamps out there that are just so unecessary to have around though.

I use so many 45 watt 10 degree lamps and rarely use floods unless its a wall anymore...

JoeyD
01-27-2009, 02:17 PM
It should scare everyone in ligthing to a degree but after diving into it head first these last few months you come to find that it really only forces you to be more creative in your designs. The LITE program we are heading up is going to strongly address Dark Sky and offer up some strong alternatives to our every day techniques to help us be more compliant yet still produce lovely lit portraits.......

JoeyD
02-03-2009, 11:30 AM
TTT...GE confirms no fear of losing the PAR lamps for LV lighting.....

Eden Lights
02-04-2009, 01:33 AM
TTT...GE confirms no fear of losing the PAR lamps for LV lighting.....

I guess my check to the ISPE wasn't enough, maybe I can send some more next month.

ISPE = International Sociey for Par Eradication

JoeyD
02-04-2009, 10:23 AM
LOL.........Go get em Eddie!!! ISPE.........More like the International Society of Too Much Time On Our Hands

Tomwilllight
02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
It should scare everyone in ligthing to a degree but after diving into it head first these last few months you come to find that it really only forces you to be more creative in your designs. The LITE program we are heading up is going to strongly address Dark Sky and offer up some strong alternatives to our every day techniques to help us be more compliant yet still produce lovely lit portraits.......

Joey,

Congratulations to Unique for introducing Dark-Sky design into your design program. I couldn't find any information about LITE on your web site, please let me know when you post a description of the program. I look forward to looking it over and am very happy to hear you are addressing this most important issue facing our industry.

The IDA is most interested in promoting energy efficient and competent lighting designs. Competent designs must include great care is shaping the quality of all viewer's visual comfort.

I believe that only ones who need to worry about the IDA are the landscape lighting installers who pay no attention to their clients' neighbors concerns about glare and light trespass, who use uplights only and think a 50 watt flood looks good on a sapling. It is not efficient to send 75% of the light you point at a shrub into outer space or into a neighbor's bedroom window, nor is it artistic.

It's the irresponsible and unprofessional landscape lighting hacks who never go back at night to inspect and focus their work who cause our industry the most problems. Poor design combined with little or no maintenance is truly a recipe that encourages neighbors to demand restrictive lighting ordinances.

Of course there are, and will be more, communities who decide to minimize the amount of light used at night. Some of those communities will consider a total ban on landscape lighting. I believe that is their right to determine what they want their neighborhoods to look like at night.

But is our responsibility to make sure they understand there is a middle and much more reasonable way to achieve the same result.

It is possible to create Dark-Sky landscape lighting designs that use energy efficiently, effectively reduce glare and eliminate light trespass. It is simply hard and creative work that requires a deep understanding of how the human eye works. We must light for the eye - all the eye's that may see our work.

And it can't be done without returning at night to focus.

Learn about the IDA... Join the IDA and find out what they want for yourself. Learn how to design to match Dark-Sky standards. The result is good design.

Tom

JoeyD
02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Tom the LITE program will have a link up on our site as soon as the LITE website goes live. It will have a forum as well which should be awesome!! LITE consists of Unique Lighting, GE, USHIO, Paige, PCS Powerline Control Systems (the inventors of UPB), and Innovative Pool Products. IlluminFX and ABT Wireless are also Manufacturers that should be participating and contributing as well.

The IDA has contributed information to our Dark Sky module education which is very cool. They gave LITE permission to use any and all info they have to help support our program.

Once the LITE website is up I will share the link with all of you!!

Tomwilllight
02-04-2009, 06:38 PM
The IDA has contributed information to our Dark Sky module education which is very cool. They gave LITE permission to use any and all info they have to help support our program.

Thanks Joey,

Your news warms my heart.

It's vital that our industry get over its' fear of the IDA. They don't want to kill us... they only want us to do what we do better.

Tom