PDA

View Full Version : Glyhosate in cool temperature!

snking1
01-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Has anyone use glyphosate (round up) in 45-50 degree weather? If so was it effective against active weeds? How potent was the mix? Thanks.....

rcreech
01-26-2009, 08:05 PM
You will be fine! You will get a slower kill, but it will still work great!

Use the same recommended rates for the size and type of weed you are trying to kill.

Hoots
01-26-2009, 08:22 PM
I second rcreech. He is right. (just in case you were not sure about only one response)

I have used Monument for poa. If you think it is slow in warmer temps, you have not seen it in cold temps. I have seen it take up to one month to yellow.

greendoctor
01-26-2009, 08:28 PM
If a weed is growing in cold temperature, its metabolism is slowed. Herbicides that affect the metabolism of the plant such as Gly, sulfonylureas and phenoxys work, but not as fast as they do at 80 degrees.

Think Green
01-26-2009, 10:37 PM
SNKing1,
We have only used glyphosate during periods when poa annua has escaped our pre-m barrier or when a new customer signs on late.! Soft tissued weeds like henbit seems to wilt within a short time, but it varies.
The translocation kill is significantly reduced because of slow movement within the weed. We live in the transition zone and the weather can fool you at every turn. It is cold for 2-3 weeks and then becomes warm for a week. The cycle starts all over and the ground temps are unstable for accurate application.
The length of time will vary with temps and the percentage of mixture.

ted putnam
01-26-2009, 11:11 PM
SNKing1,
We have only used glyphosate during periods when poa annua has escaped our pre-m barrier or when a new customer signs on late.! Soft tissued weeds like henbit seems to wilt within a short time, but it varies.
The translocation kill is significantly reduced because of slow movement within the weed. We live in the transition zone and the weather can fool you at every turn. It is cold for 2-3 weeks and then becomes warm for a week. The cycle starts all over and the ground temps are unstable for accurate application.
The length of time will vary with temps and the percentage of mixture.

I agree. It's hard to tell how fast and how well it will work during colder temps. I know of some that use it in tank mix with pre-emerg for their early spring app. To unpredictable in my opinion, especially at the threshold of Spring transition. What part of Arkansas you from Think Green?

Grandview
01-27-2009, 07:35 AM
I would not worry until temps were in the low 30s and ground was frozen.

Ric
01-27-2009, 08:05 AM
SnKing

I am not going to retype my speech about Glyphosate being a select herbicide and growth regulator. Do a search if you are interested.

timturf
01-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Please Ric, I'm terrible at searching.

and lazyyy!

Ric
01-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Please Ric, I'm terrible at searching.

and lazyyy!

Tim

You are just plain Terrible. So no excuses about being Lazy also. :)

You can find a Label for Roundup??? Oops sorry I know how lazy you can be.

http://www.umt.edu/sentinel/roundup_label.pdf

OK page 14 section 12.3 Chemical Mowing. This should get your mind ticking.

Sorry but I am lazy too and that is as much as I feel like typing right now. But I have written volumes about Roundup here at Lawnsite.

timturf
01-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Ric,
Would have prefered to have read your responce.

I know some people probably appreciated the link for chemical mowing, as I suspect many were unaware of that property

So, what is your take on the rate of killing in low temps, like 40-50 degree's?

My experience has always been, when temps are cold, kill is much slower!
Why? Do to fact the weed is not actively growing, result of the chemical make upper say, both, or is it something else?

Grandview
01-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Ric,

I know some people probably appreciated the link for chemical mowing, as I suspect many were unaware of that property

Why? Do to fact the weed is not actively growing, result of the chemical make upper say, both, or is it something else?

Weed kill is slow under cooler temperatures because chemical reactions are slower. The speed of chemical reactions doubles every time temps increase by 10 degrees C.

Ric
01-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Ric,

Tim

Sorry but it is 82 degrees here today and this is still January. How much Cold Weather experience do you think I get with Roundup???

The link to chemical mowing was only to get people thinking Roundup is not just a non-select herbicide. There are many Roundup resistant varieties of plants. I am too old and tired of typing long novels for the unwashed masses. But I have used Roundup as a select weed killer on active growing Bermuda. One Novel I typed about John Franz the chemist who discovered Roundup was made fun of so much, the moderators had to delete the thread.

I respect your knowledge Tim, so don't take my crankiness today too serious.

timturf
01-29-2009, 05:28 AM
Tim

Sorry but it is 82 degrees here today and this is still January. How much Cold Weather experience do you think I get with Roundup???

The link to chemical mowing was only to get people thinking Roundup is not just a non-select herbicide. There are many Roundup resistant varieties of plants. I am too old and tired of typing long novels for the unwashed masses. But I have used Roundup as a select weed killer on active growing Bermuda. One Novel I typed about John Franz the chemist who discovered Roundup was made fun of so much, the moderators had to delete the thread.

I respect your knowledge Tim, so don't take my crankiness today too serious.
Only trying to stir up the cranky old man some more
Wish I would have seen this one ...John Franz the chemist who discovered roundup,

Weed kill is slow under cooler temperatures because chemical reactions are slower. The speed of chemical reactions doubles every time temps increase by 10 degrees C.

Interesting
So, it's a result of slower chemical reaction, and the weed not as actively growing

Thanks grandview