PDA

View Full Version : 3-way green-up transition bermuda

VARMIT COMMISSION
01-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Has anyone (southern-boy's) every yellowed bermuda just out of dormancy with a 3-way product. I have not but always read it on the label and just wonder if it is ever a problem? I always spray a liquid fert at the same time so I wonder if this prevents it for me?

greendoctor
01-26-2009, 10:41 PM
It sure does. A moderate rate of liquid N and some iron minimizes the adverse effects of herbicides. I try to include some N and iron when spraying simazine and Image. Reduces the stunting and discoloration that can occur. I do not do that if MSMA is being sprayed. It tends to cancel out the MSMA.

VARMIT COMMISSION
01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
I sprayed a 2 acre lot and used iron and fert. with MSMA and the MSMA did nothing for the crabgrass. Didnt even yellow the bermuda and it was July and hot. So I agree totally.

greendoctor
01-26-2009, 10:56 PM
http://www.bioone.org/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.1614%2FWS-05-089R.1
Apparently, we are not the only ones who have seen this happen. I often prepare an area before spraying MSMA by scheduling it after the monthly fertilization. If I do not do this, grass is extremely slow to recover and I have seen lawns killed.

quiet
01-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Hmmm, interesting! My local Lesco guy has given me several tips, but only one that was worthwhile: add their High Combo Manganese to MSMA.

Otherwise I add a little of the Liquid Ironite to a spray mix to increase uptake, and minimize turf damage from the herbicide.

But once I added the Liquid Ironite to an MSMA mix, and didn't get quite the results I wanted. Liquid ironite has ammonioum sulfate added . . .

Hmmmm! Interesting! Anyone else add manganese to MSMA?

greendoctor
01-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Metals cancel out the effect of the arsenic. Especially if they are in the sulfate form. Liquid ironite is metals in sulfate form.