PDA

View Full Version : What's the best RoundUp?

LouisianaLawnboy
01-26-2009, 11:32 PM
I know you have had this probably a million times.

What is the best weed killer? I've done spot weed control with RoundUp or something like that. Now I bought my self a back pack sprayer and want to buy a huge jug of the stuff. So what's the best stuff? I live in Cajun Country Louisiana.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Are you a licensed applicator? If not, the best spray and ONLY spray would be water.

LouisianaLawnboy
01-26-2009, 11:47 PM
I live in Louisiana, I didn't know you had to be licensed to spray roundup on cracks in the cement, flowerbeds, fences, etc.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-26-2009, 11:50 PM
I live in Louisiana, I didn't know you had to be licensed to spray roundup on cracks in the cement, flowerbeds, fences, etc.

Anytime you spray for $$$ a license is required.

LouisianaLawnboy
01-26-2009, 11:53 PM

I'm spraying for FREE! I just charge to cut the grass. :laugh:

If I get an occupational license to operate a lawn service, would that count?

Thanks for the help

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-26-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm spraying for FREE! I just charge to cut the grass. :laugh:

If I get an occupational license to operate a lawn service, would that count?

Thanks for the help

That workaround won't fly - many have tried. You need a Pesticide Applicators License as sponsored by the EPA through your specific state. No business license or any other document/certificate will circumnavigate the requirement for that license.

Cajun Country Lawn Care
01-26-2009, 11:55 PM

This is interesting, never knew that......:usflag:

LouisianaLawnboy
01-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Whoa! A competitor in my district. I will guard my words:D:D

LouisianaLawnboy
01-27-2009, 12:04 AM
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/stmary/features/agriculture/private+pesticide+applicators+license.htm

Hey I found this link. Looks like I'll be applying.

Thanks for the heads up.

4.3mudder
01-27-2009, 12:04 AM

I'm learing more than I intended, jee whiz.

Cajun Country Lawn Care
01-27-2009, 12:09 AM

I agree:usflag:

grassman177
01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
this is how we got started in pesticides. found out the hard way, exactly doing what you were, then got licensed and never lookd back

Hoots
01-27-2009, 06:50 PM

Wouldn't you rather learn too much than too little?

JDUtah
01-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Better get used to due diligence...

"In criminal law, due diligence is the only available defense to a crime that is one of strict liability (like the illegal application of pesticides - including roundup). Once the criminal offense is proven, the defendant must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they did everything possible to prevent the act from happening. It is not enough that they took the normal standard of care in their industry - they must show that they took every reasonable precaution." (Wikki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Due_diligence#As_a_criminal_defense))

Getting certified is only the first step. Make sure you GET certified!

Learn too much? Maybe. Protect your butt? For sure! Do it right.

rcreech
01-27-2009, 06:59 PM
I think the days of "playing innocence" and "pleading stupidity" are long gone.

If you are applying illegally...I don't see them accepting a sob story!

Most people are smarter then that to know that you can't apply without a license!

If you apply without a license...you are just asking for trouble IMO!

LushGreenLawn
01-27-2009, 08:30 PM
I think the days of "playing innocence" and "pleading stupidity" are long gone.

If you are applying illegally...I don't see them accepting a sob story!

Most people are smarter then that to know that you can't apply without a license!

If you apply without a license...you are just asking for trouble IMO!

One of our local guys got hit for a .... Are you ready.... $10,000+ fine.

This was for a first offense for spraying round up in sidewalk cracks. Our Ag inspector said that they are really cracking down this year. With the bad economy the States need funding, and they are going to get it any way they can. They are going to out every day, including Saturday and Sunday this year out looking for offenders.

4.3mudder
01-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Wouldn't you rather learn too much than too little?

Awww, we got a comedian in the crowd! Ya, I guess your right, maybe it would be good to learn to much, but when it comes to regular school, I don't know about that.

LouisianaLawnboy
01-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the license info, but back to the question. What's the best Round-Up?

rcreech
01-27-2009, 08:45 PM

This was for a first offense for spraying round up in sidewalk cracks. Our Ag inspector said that they are really cracking down this year. With the bad economy the States need funding, and they are going to get it any way they can. They are going to out every day, including Saturday and Sunday this year out looking for offenders.

With everyone losing their jobs...they will probably get a bunch this year!

People thinks its easy to "go buy some chem and a backpack and spray"!

Cajun Country Lawn Care
01-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Ok heres the question that maybe you pesticide guys can answer because I am stumped on this.

I just don't understand the purpose of a license for "round-up", which anyone can buy in any home depot or lowes. Is this stuff that harmful, I am stumped on this one. :confused:

rcreech
01-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the license info, but back to the question. What's the best Round-Up?

There is no such thing as the "best Round-up" or Gly per say!

The main thing is to look at the AI (Active Ingredient)% and try and get one with a surfactant.

The major differenences in price is usually the AI%, surfactant and rainfast.

I use the CHEAPEST Gly source I can find with a surfactant and ALWAYS use AMS (Ammonimu Sulfate) with it.

AMS is the KEY to getting a good kill!

4.3mudder
01-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Ok heres the question that maybe you pesticide guys can answer because I am stumped on this.

I just don't understand the purpose of a license for "round-up", which anyone can buy in any home depot or lowes. Is this stuff that harmful, I am stumped on this one. :confused:

There are probably things your need to know about using things before you go out and start using things. Thats where the mandatory license comes in so that you know how to use the product. And plus, You are getting paid to do it. Thats the only reason that I know for sure.

LouisianaLawnboy
01-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey, If I the owner get the license could my employee spray it?

LushGreenLawn
01-27-2009, 08:53 PM

These chemicals are harmful when used improperly. The purpose behind the certification is to make sure someone who is going to be using chemicals on a regular basis, knows how to do it safely. There is alot more to know than most people think.

Your average person does not know how chemicals metabolize in the body, and how the environment breaks down chemicals.

More and more communities are now considering laws requiring homeowners to take classes or get certified to use pesticides also.

Cajun Country Lawn Care
01-27-2009, 09:00 PM

This is what I love about the internet, this site possibly saved me $10,000. No other lawn care owner ever told me about a license for round up. Now I know and will have more trimming, sure beats $10,000.:usflag:

Ric
01-27-2009, 09:05 PM

Cajun

Just because you can buy building supplies at Home Cheapo or Lowers, Doesn't mean you can build a 4 story Condo. Same thing at Walgreen's, it doesn't mean you can do brain surgery. Yard chemicals are sold to homeowners for use on their own property. While I will agree Roundup is not what we consider a dangerous chemical, any chemical misused can be detrimental. The law must draw the line somewhere and Roundup is as good a place as any.

Cajun Country Lawn Care
01-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Cajun

Just because you can buy building supplies at Home Cheapo or Lowers, Doesn't mean you can build a 4 story Condo. Same thing at Walgreen's, it doesn't mean you can do brain surgery. Yard chemicals are sold to homeowners for use on their own property. While I will agree Roundup is not what we consider a dangerous chemical, any chemical misused can be detrimental. The law must draw the line somewhere and Roundup is as good a place as any.

I agree and understand, just did not know if there was something about round-up that was not being told to the average person. Thanks to all for the info.
I am new to this business as this will be my first full season, and just starting to learn all the rules. I started last season mid-quarter with the basics, cut, trim, edge and blow. Looks like this will continue. I see eventually getting a license but for now I will just continue to trim. Thanks again.:usflag:

JDUtah
01-27-2009, 09:50 PM

One homeowner spraying on a bad day might kill the plants in their neighbors yard... which they would be liable for.

One ignorant "professional" spraying on a bad day might treat 20 lawns... and potentially kill things on 30-40 other properties... and they are liable for ALL of them. Then, what if the next day is a bad day too? The homeowner is done spraying, the lawn guy sprays another 20 yards.... and another day? And another?

The result is not good...

Get certified, I would venture to say that when it comes down to it ANY insurance policy you get would never cover pesticides unless you are certified...

And the main reason to get certified? It's the law. Getting certified really isn't too hard if you ask me.

About applying if you are not certified (but if someone in the company is). I would talk to the extension office guys in your county....

Ric
01-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Cajun

I lived in Louisiana for many years and still do Cajun cooking from scratch regularly. Only wished I could get the real makings. Fact is I had a Floating Camp on Duck lake just East of Lafayette. I am no stranger to Trot lines or Crawfish traps. Back in my day pesticide licenses were very easy to get in Louisiana.

LouisianaLawnboy
01-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Cajun

I lived in Louisiana for many years and still do Cajun cooking from scratch regularly. Only wished I could get the real makings. Fact is I had a Floating Camp on Duck lake just East of Lafayette. I am no stranger to Trot lines or Crawfish traps. Back in my day pesticide licenses were very easy to get in Louisiana.

Do you miss dat that boudin, cracklin, crawfish and gumbo?

Cajun Country Lawn Care
01-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Can't beat the food in Cajun Country........:usflag:

Ric
01-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Do you miss dat that boudin, cracklin, crawfish and gumbo?

Louisiana

Cracklin and Gumbo are no problem. I actually have Gumbo in the frig right now. I stir the raul Black for the real flavor. Watch any Cajun cooking show and they only go a new copper penny color. But GOOD Crawfish and Boudin I can't find here in Florida. Oh we get Crawfish but they have been frozen and taste horrible. I still Injected a Turkey and fried it for the Holidays. I think my favorite is still Red Beans and Rice.

LouisianaLawnboy
01-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Ya sha! Dats good yeah.

Ric
01-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Can't beat the food in Cajun Country........:usflag:

Cajun

Don's Seafood in Red Stick was part owned and ran by Don's Brother Roland. I bought Roland's house after his Divorce way back when. They are all dead now. But Duke, Roland's son is the World Champion Oyster Shucker and has been on all the TV talk shows. I was friends with Roland because we both raised Chickens and took them to Sunset for the Big event which I am sure you know about. Being a Pacific Islander, special Chickens our one thing I have in common with real Cajuns. Here in Florida I now have that same bond with Cuban culture which I also enjoy their style of cooking. How ever I no longer raise Chickens or the Bonny Grays Roland was famous for.

KACYDS
01-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Laissez le Bon temp rouler ! :laugh:

Ric
01-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Laissez le Bon temp rouler ! :laugh:

Mi oui tee Kacyds.

KACYDS
01-28-2009, 06:12 PM
«a c'est bon Ric.

rcreech
01-28-2009, 07:07 PM
O i c u 8 1 2.

meomypete
01-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I know you have had this probably a million times.

What is the best weed killer? I've done spot weed control with RoundUp or something like that. Now I bought my self a back pack sprayer and want to buy a huge jug of the stuff. So what's the best stuff? I live in Cajun Country Louisiana.

They all have the same weed killing mode of action with glyphosate weed killers except there are 2 other glyphosate salts. One other is UltraMax from Monsanto and yet another Monsanto product that cost more but I don't see any more.

The Surfactants make some products better acting. Monsanto have the best Surfactants but cost almost double.
By adding 2-4% ammonium sulphate (AMS) will help a lot...a lot more under cool or dry conditions. the less water the more effective if the water has clay or Calcium. clay or dust on the leaf make it less effective.

LouisianaLawnboy
01-29-2009, 12:57 AM
They all have the same weed killing mode of action with glyphosate weed killers except there are 2 other glyphosate salts. One other is UltraMax from Monsanto and yet another Monsanto product that cost more but I don't see any more.

The Surfactants make some products better acting. Monsanto have the best Surfactants but cost almost double.
By adding 2-4% ammonium sulphate (AMS) will help a lot...a lot more under cool or dry conditions. the less water the more effective if the water has clay or Calcium. clay or dust on the leaf make it less effective.

Thanks for getting it back on topic.

david shumaker
01-29-2009, 08:31 PM

In Virginia you need a Turf License for lawns and a Right-of-Way Pest Control license to spray along fences, driveways, cracks, etc. You also need a different license for ornamentals.

You need to check with your state Agricultural Dept. for details. It's probably on their website.

david shumaker
01-29-2009, 08:38 PM
These chemicals are harmful when used improperly. The purpose behind the certification is to make sure someone who is going to be using chemicals on a regular basis, knows how to do it safely. There is alot more to know than most people think.

Your average person does not know how chemicals metabolize in the body, and how the environment breaks down chemicals.

More and more communities are now considering laws requiring homeowners to take classes or get certified to use pesticides also.

Another reason for having the license is because of legal liability. You have to have insurance to get certified and get your application license.

david shumaker
01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
If you only have a few accounts, it may not justify the expense of getting certified until your business grows. It might be better to give the business to someone else. The license doesn't cost much, but you'll need a commercial spreader, sprayers, etc and also have to pay every so often to get recertified. You also have to buy the study manuals.

If your business is growing pretty fast, I say go ahead and get certified now. Some customers want full service and will expect you to do their chemical work and you won't have to turn them down.

LouisianaLawnboy
01-29-2009, 10:58 PM
I called and found out the info.

It's 10.00 for the study manuel and you can return it for a refund if you would like.

The test is 50.00 and can be taken at 9 different locations around our wonderful state.

It's good for 3 years.

I don't think you need insurance or occupational license.

LushGreenLawn
01-30-2009, 08:14 AM
I called and found out the info.

It's 10.00 for the study manuel and you can return it for a refund if you would like.

The test is 50.00 and can be taken at 9 different locations around our wonderful state.

It's good for 3 years.

I don't think you need insurance or occupational license.

Insurance is a Federal Requirement. In my State we don't need an occupational license. Really, you should have insurance for your business anyway, something is always getting damaged, and its nice to know that if something expensive happens, you have coverage to pay for it.

Good Luck to you this upcoming season.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Insurance isn't necessarily required - but it IS worth looking into. I have a million bucks for all of $300/year. It's worth it, especially in our litigious society and these desperate (for some) times. Don't leave yourself susceptible.