PDA

View Full Version : Anyone upgraded tanks on a Lesco Space Saver?

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-26-2009, 10:32 PM
I think I'm buying a flatbed truck. With that additional room, I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing a 300g tank and swapping out the hardware from my 200g Lesco Space Saver and building a frame around the new tank.

Anybody every Dr. Frankensteined one before?

DUSTYCEDAR
01-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Ahh cut paste repeat

SpreadNSpray
01-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Just a single 300g? I think I saw a 300 gallon tank that fit sideways in the back of a pick up. You could make a frame for the hose real and pump. Try MN wanner. I'ts not listed on their website but I think they have them. They could help you with the frame too.

http://www.minnesotawanner.com

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Ahh cut paste repeat

Oops. Was there another thread with this? If so, my bad. I failed to check - I figured nobody was as ******edly cheap as me...

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Just a single 300g? I think I saw a 300 gallon tank that fit sideways in the back of a pick up. You could make a frame for the hose real and pump. Try MN wanner. I'ts not listed on their website but I think they have them. They could help you with the frame too.

http://www.minnesotawanner.com

Thanks. I'm confident I can make all the plumbing work without any trouble, and I'll fabricate my own frame specific to my wishes.

I'm just wondering if there's somebody who has tried it that might be able to say, "oh yeah - I know it looks easy enough - right up until you get to this one part..."

DUSTYCEDAR
01-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Nah just bustin nuts however i am doing the same type of frankinsprayer

heritage
01-26-2009, 11:07 PM
I think I'm buying a flatbed truck. With that additional room, I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing a 300g tank and swapping out the hardware from my 200g Lesco Space Saver and building a frame around the new tank.

Anybody every Dr. Frankensteined one before?

With the old Agrotec 300 gal tank I had with no baffles, yes.

Cut the tank frame off of the engine/pump/reel frame and then added a 300 gallon tank with baffles, and intergrated with a 100 gallon tank. Its inside of a Box Truck now.

The 300 Gal tank I bought was mounted on it's own steel frame and I love it.
Gregson Clark has em too :)

You can do a lot with a creative mind, and make a setup that works best for you :)

Pete

SpreadNSpray
01-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks. I'm confident I can make all the plumbing work without any trouble, and I'll fabricate my own frame specific to my wishes.

I'm just wondering if there's somebody who has tried it that might be able to say, "oh yeah - I know it looks easy enough - right up until you get to this one part..."

Flat bed eh? That should be fun. You won't need that tank I mentioned. So what are you doing? Taking the pump and motor and leaving the 200g tank and frame?

ted putnam
01-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Ted Frankenstein here... I bought a 300gal tank from Westheffer and mounted it in place of 2 -110 gal tanks that were on my skid. However, my sprayer was not a space saver. I'm sure my conversion was much easier. You'll be basically starting from scratch as far as the frame goes. Having the tank you want on hand and a good welder/welding shop and accurate measurements for mounting points of motor, hose reel, etc... will get you a good start.

Ric
01-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Oops. Was there another thread with this? If so, my bad. I failed to check - I figured nobody was as ******edly cheap as me...

Whoopedass

Cheap you want Cheap?? Find a used 325 gallon pallet shipping tank. They cost more to return ship empty, than they cost. I get them from a pre-stressed concrete plant that buy vegetable oil for greasing forms. MSDS claims eatable material. Purple Stuff or Simply Green cleans them right up.

EagleLandscape
01-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Ric, sounds like a cool idea.

I'm looking to get a 200 gallon, and a 50(100) gallon tank possibly this spring.

I would like to save money if I can. Do you buy the pump and engine seperate then?

Ric
01-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Ric, sounds like a cool idea.

I'm looking to get a 200 gallon, and a 50(100) gallon tank possibly this spring.

I would like to save money if I can. Do you buy the pump and engine seperate then?

jwing

Depending on the pump and engine etc it may be cheaper to buy a skid sprayer ready to go. But yes you can put together a sprayer for very little money if you watch your pennies. Real cheap would be a 12V shurflo 1 GPM pump for $ 49.00 and and no hose reel. you can wind hose in a divers loop or figure 8 in place of a hose reel which is expensive. I saw a training film years ago where a cab over truck actually had a box on the back to figure 8 the hose instead of a reel. A guy in my town uses a set up similar to this including garden hose and a standard garden hose end spray nozzle. Some how the Ag inspector doesn't mess with him. BTW he only sprays insects and not weeds or fert. But cheap doesn't mean good.

EagleLandscape
01-27-2009, 08:49 AM
the 200 gallon im looking at is from lesco.
about 3700-3800 bucks i think.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Whoopedass

Cheap you want Cheap?? Find a used 325 gallon pallet shipping tank. They cost more to return ship empty, than they cost. I get them from a pre-stressed concrete plant that buy vegetable oil for greasing forms. MSDS claims eatable material. Purple Stuff or Simply Green cleans them right up.

Thanks, old fart. My supplier uses these for their bulk, liquid iron for the farmers. Maybe I'll see if he can hook me up for cheap!

LawnTamer
01-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Now we're talking cheap!

Whoop, you could use your old bathtub for a slush tank, for melting urea. :laugh::laugh:

Seriously though, if you can get one of those 325 tanks cheap, and it is thick enough to withstand daily use, why not? That would be a sweet size. Even at 2g/m you could spray 160m with a little extra for good measure. For me, that would be about 30 lawns most days.

RigglePLC
01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Ric is right, why not Whoop?
I cut my 200 gallon sprayer in half. Sold the 200 gallon tank and added a 400 gallon vertical flat bottomed tank from TSC--inexpensive, and no saddle or mounting hardware needed (just some steel cable tiedowns). The tank comes in a 300 gallon version also. And...you could add the 300 gallon tank--without changing the Spacesaver, do some extra plumbing and have a total of 500 gallons. Cross contamination in the tanks is a problem at times--so don't plan on spraying trees or flowers. Empty, my tank is light enough to be removable during months when i don't need it.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-27-2009, 11:17 AM
My big picture scheme is this:

Remove hardware from 200g unit to build the new 300+ gallon unit.

Then take leftover 200g tank as $$$ and time provides and build a simple electric pump unit (a simple Shurflo setup or maybe even an array for higher pressure) and buy another hose strictly for insecticide applications. Zero agitation needed (beyond the truck sloshing it around), and the bug pressure here is unreal - so I'd use it all the time...

sprayboy
01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
You don't need to make mounts for the reel , motor and pump. You can bolt them directly to the bed. I have my reel on the back right corner and then put the motor and pump on the back left corner. Don't know if it is a big deal but I try to keep the weight distributed a little .

Ric
01-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks, old fart. My supplier uses these for their bulk, liquid iron for the farmers. Maybe I'll see if he can hook me up for cheap!

Whoopedass

Always nice to called an OLD FART. But remember with age comes experience.

BTW While I have filled the 325 gallon tank, but I only use 200 gallons because I feel safer with less weight driving down the road with it's present set up. I do plan to take it off the trailer and buy a 3/4 ton or larger truck in the spring when Fire Ant season fires up.

whoopassonthebluegrass
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
You don't need to make mounts for the reel , motor and pump. You can bolt them directly to the bed. I have my reel on the back right corner and then put the motor and pump on the back left corner. Don't know if it is a big deal but I try to keep the weight distributed a little .

It's -3 degrees here today. And that's not uncommon. As a result I'll have to build a skid so I can yank it in the offseason.

Ric
01-27-2009, 03:58 PM
It's -3 degrees here today. And that's not uncommon. As a result I'll have to build a skid so I can yank it in the offseason.

Whooped

I can understand that. It was only supposed to be 76 today, but right now it is 79 degrees. I guess the extra +3 degrees are from your country.