PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Em Application Time

RAlmaroad
01-27-2009, 09:25 AM
I know each of us has a different idea as when to apply a Pre-Em. I wait until ground temp is a stable 55. Others wait "When the forsythia is in bloom" or "During the last of February to March 15" and so on and on. But for the really scientific endowed minds: What leads you to when you apply your pre-em? For the coast of SC the stable 55 is generally about March 10th or so. Just some food for thought.

RigglePLC
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Oh sure. We start about March 10th, too. I learned at TruGreen. I always start the day the snow has melted, (or at least 99 percent melted). It takes about 6 weeks to finish all our crabgrass treatments (allowing for a few rain days). We feel we have to start about 6 weeks before germination (when the air temp hits 80 degrees.) We are just learning about growing degree days. I figure about 6 weeks before the Growing Degree Days (base 32) add up to about 500.

RAlmaroad
01-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks Riggs, I'm hoping to get a jump start on all of those inquiries about the pre-em and when to put it down. If several guys would chime in around the country, then most of the questions would be answered before they were asked and huge debates be avoided. Oh, BTW--You guys get 80 degree days in March!!!! I was under the impression that it never got to be 80 until August. Just Kidding

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I am just starting out in fert/squirt - but planning to do fert/pre middle to end of April, depending on the warm up around these frozen-parts. I can get my jobs all done in a few days though. Big guys would have to start weeks earlier I imagine.