PDA

View Full Version : Designers - What would you change?

h400exinfl
01-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Here is a design I'm working on. I think it's a little too busy, but that seems to be the trend. What do you pro's think? I'm looking for comments on principles of design, plant choice etc. Also, the final will be in black and white, hence the horrible colors. Thanks.

Slcareco
01-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Oh wow, there is so much wrong with that and I will give you my corrective critique... lines lines lines really really bad... there is noooo flow noo transition it just goes into the corners of the house at odd angles... you want nice flowing curves that go into the house at a 90 degree....

Your planting designed/drawn way too close to the house... if to exact scale it should never be against the house and you should take into consideation the mature width for the plants you choose... don't need excessive shade on the house or a close entrance for wood eating insects.

Also when labeling plants of the same species you should have a connecting line for all of them that are grouped together like your Boxwoods.

How BIG are those myrtles?? Take them out... accent the house and not put a forest around the house... You seem to have a nursery collection rather then a selection of plants that unite with the landscape as one... too much... too much

Your walkway is very uninvitable, you need some flow, transition, it needs to draw the person in not make them wonder.

Thats just some things I seen

h400exinfl
01-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Sl,

Thanks, I love the input. Lines are definitely something I'm having trouble with, here I'm basically reusing the existing bed lines with minimal change. I'll put some thought into that thanks again.

The Crapes will reach a height of 20 -25' and aren't really shade trees. They're colorful in mid to late summer and add spatial composition as will as unity to the design. At least that is what I'm trying to accomplish with them, hence each one is placed alone in a particular viewpoint.

Regarding the nursery collection, yah, I definitely tend to use what's available locally. It's well within my "comfort zone" to do so.

Regarding connecting lines for particular species, are you sure about that? Wouldn't it clutter up the design? If they're really far apart across the property, maybe a second label, hmmm I'll look through some more designs and see if I can find some examples of that. I really want to keep it neat though.

Regarding bushes next to the house, they'll be kept off the house. They're full grown in the design and down here, air space is accomplished as much by trimming (tropicals can easily take 4 trims a season) as by planting.

Thanks again.

Slcareco
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Well With the connecting lines, I draw my designs so I would fade my lines into the center of each plant so the focus isnt on my lines but with CAD im not sure.

Well anything on a lawn usually would be a focal point but you shouldnt have more of the same focal point around the yard... it is repitition but keep that with the hedges... One thing you dont want to do is repeat the same tree as a "specimen" or focal point... it kind of draws you away from the rest of the landscape which takes away from the unity... Just my thoughts

Well if the budget is there for changing the bed lines its a must! First best thing to any landscape is nice flowing lines... Im sure you can google some great examples

Glad to help!

h400exinfl
01-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks again, exactly the kind of help I'm looking for.

Slcareco
01-27-2009, 12:24 PM
....anytime!

Chrysalis
01-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Hey what part of Florida are you in? Im down here in the Tri County area based out of Broward. Without looking I knew right off the bat you were in Florida with the plant selections you got there. Very Nice if you ask me. :)

Marc

Turf Logic
01-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Less is more, remember plants have to grow in. SLcareco nailed it on the head, the bed lines need to flow and have transition. The other problem I see is the crepe myrtles try to use some variation in your specimens.

FinerCutslawnCare
01-30-2009, 04:10 PM
If I were you I would get away from the computer drawing if possible and draw it by yourself. It helps alot and sometimes when you take your time you start to think of different ideas. I just got done with a landscape design/drafting class and will probably never use a computer again. Just my opinion tho...

Turf Logic
01-30-2009, 10:29 PM
If I were you I would get away from the computer drawing if possible and draw it by yourself. It helps alot and sometimes when you take your time you start to think of different ideas. I just got done with a landscape design/drafting class and will probably never use a computer again. Just my opinion tho...

Personally I like to see hand drawn plans for residential proposals but just the opposite fore commercial.

AGLA
01-31-2009, 07:28 AM
About the bed lines - lay out your plants to affect the house and create space without regard to preconceived bed shapes unless there are fixed "bed shapers" such as a walkway that is not being changed. Then shape your beds around the plants in a general manner. Supplement the planting to adjust the bed shape if it needs adjustment.

Making beds and filling them in with plants is placing a restriction on your project. There are enough things to adjust to in a landscape that are beyond your control. There is no reason to invent more.

h400exinfl
01-31-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the info, I've changed it around a few times using a rectangular theme once, and a curvilinear theme again as well. I'll post if I get a chance, the lines look much better, but I haven't finished the plants. Thanks again for the help.
I'll try placing the plants first using bubbles on the next drawing, see if that helps. I'm too far past the planning stage on this one to try it.

STRINGALATION
02-10-2009, 11:28 AM
as much as i adore the creative process the concept of designing the plants and then the bed never crossed my mind WOW OR SHOULD I SAY DUH. EVERY SITUATION IS DIFFERNT SO STAY AWAY FROM PATTERNS