PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office LIVE for Small Business

Keegan
01-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Has anyone used this tool to design their website? I just started doing it today. It's not bad a basic site.
Are there any other free design sites out there?

Kiril
01-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Websites In A Box:

http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=388&Itemid=143

Free HTML Templates:

http://www.oswd.org/

yardmanlee
01-28-2009, 10:29 AM
me and my son played around with it seems easy to navigate and load stuff on. for now thats what im going to use (tight budget) now

PSTsmallengines
01-28-2009, 08:29 PM
First of all your doing what is right and to be honest I am happy that you are trying to do this on your own, it is good because no one knows you better then yourself. I haven't seen anything really wrong with Microsoft's idea and concept on this, of course it is new and there are many idiots out there who think it sucks, these are the same idiots ran down Vista, and other Microsoft Tools.

Problem is if you waste your time listening to these people you are going to go backwards, so I say keep going and see where it takes you. Remember! your content is important tool, it can help you just a little. You have to start some where, why not there.

PSTsmallengines
01-28-2009, 08:32 PM
me and my son played around with it seems easy to navigate and load stuff on. for now thats what im going to use (tight budget) nowGood for you! some people can't afford hire developers, and even more so during the winters.

The program is easy, it was made that way, so people can be creative. I tend to think of it more as a starter site.

Have FUn

yardmanlee
01-29-2009, 08:19 AM
I would post the link, but not ready for the bashing you get from people here, also there is alot I want to add to the site (info) and pics. but will soon

anthonyslandscaping
02-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Both of my sites are microsoft. Have had them for over a year without any problems. Links are in the signiture. just remember to submit to the search engines every couple of months since you cannot put google or yahoo code into your pages.

WebMan
02-13-2009, 01:03 PM
I used "Live" for a while when it came out, it looked "cool" I even bought a web cam, thought it would be a cool way to talk to customers & stuff.
The website I did is just a blog but that way if my data-center had problems or my servers were down for some reason I could still get information to my customers (they know about the "emergency site" on Live.) It was easy to use and I even thought it might turn out to be "the next big thing"...THEN stuff started going wrong--

1st I could never get a domain name on it.
I bought one for it, did everything they said, e-mailed their support 4 times (and got back a copy of the same instructions page I had already followed EVERY time even though I told them that I had done all that and it wasn't working)
So if you got a domain name that's one good point (maybe they were mad I didn't buy it from them? ) Anyway if you don't have a name-only the Microsoft one they give you it's no good except for stuff like I do or for playing--not for business.
You still get stuck with Hotmail :cry: -so all your customers immediately know that you are using "freebie" stuff. Not a professional "image" :confused:

Then lately the thing went crazy. I tried e-mailing them about that but it's no good.
1/2 the links don't work anymore, I can't login like I used to. The only way I can post on the site is Live Writer (and I preferred direct on the site coding-not the "Live Writer" Word-like thing that's all that works now.)

It doesn't matter to me I have plenty of my own "real" stuff but I wouldn't hang my business reputation on Microsoft "Live" if I was anyone with only "Live" for a primary web presence. Reasons (big ones):
Too hard or impossible to get a "clean" domain name-without that any site is useless. Things either break or they change the way it works or something---but not consistent or dependable. Two things that are requirements or business hosting. Stuck with Hotmail & such that immediately identifies the fact you are using "freebie" stuff from Microsoft. It's like a big banner saying "My business can't afford $5-$10 a month!"

Kiril
02-13-2009, 01:06 PM
4) it's $soft ... reason enough not to use it. ;)

PSTsmallengines
02-17-2009, 06:32 AM
Hey Webman, not bad at all! some pretty good points in that comment. Isn't that like Microsoft to do something like that? hang a carrot in front of your face, and then show you the whole fridge that is locked up? Very good comment!!!

ritchiem
02-17-2009, 11:12 AM
You still get stuck with Hotmail -so all your customers immediately know that you are using "freebie" stuff. Not a professional "image"

I do agree. Being able to brand your own company may be a bit hard using a 3rd party.

I have never used this service and probably wont. I have had lots of bad experiences with MS and their support in the past so I am a bit bias when it comes to their products and services. I would rather use open source over MS any day.

After saying that, if you can get a great site out of their service and it works for you as a online portfolio to qualify you as a professional landscape company, then that is great!