PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio

dfraley379
01-27-2009, 05:37 PM
I've been doing hardscape for the last four years and I am organizing my own company now. I had thoughts of putting together a portfolio of my work so that i can show it to customers. I thought it might help me sell jobs. Does anyone have any tips for me, I'm not quite sure where to begin.

pghlandscape
01-27-2009, 05:58 PM
us www.blurb.com or just make it very prof. looking

dfraley379
01-27-2009, 06:08 PM
thats a good resource. how about content. i have pictures and customer referrals but i feel like that isnt enough. what might be essential for the customer to see? i want to narrow down my ideas so that i'm not bringing out a 40 page book for them to trudge through.

denver 2
01-27-2009, 08:07 PM
I take pictures of my work with a digital camera and load them in my computer. When a potential customer wants to see some examples of my work I send pics by email or print and deliver copies. Saves time, and I would not want to lug around a nice book in my dirty truck all the time. Good Luck.

DVS Hardscaper
01-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Pictures are worth a thousand words.

PlatinumLandCon
01-28-2009, 04:06 AM
Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Exactly. Pictures of super high quality work and updated refrences will get you a long way.

dfraley379
01-28-2009, 09:09 PM
thanks, that helps.

pghlandscape
01-29-2009, 04:05 PM
I show pictures of everything, before the project starts, during construction (pics of my guys working in company uniforms), and after. I also show step by step pictures of real installation methods and what we do different then other companies.(excavation, base, etc) I also show samples of base materials and other material so they can see exactly what I'm talking about. I also show thank you letters from past customers. I write 99% of my estimates on site(which they love) and follow them up with a phone call 2-3 days later asking if they have any questions. I never pressure them into a decision, however i do offer specials for a signed contract within 2 wks. We are alittle more expensive then most companies and we get a good amount of work.

tatmkr
02-04-2009, 11:43 PM
I had a photo album with 8-1/2" x 11" photos in clear glossy sleeves. We spent a fortune printing these on photo paper, then realized a quality printer worked just fine. In 2008 I switch over to a very nice set up on my laptop utilizing some of the features of windows vista. I am now going back to the printed photos, because the customer has better flexibility to go forwards and backwards. Mae sure you put them in some sort of order, walls, steps, pavers, specialty feaatures. Include everything you do, because sometimes just a picture is all someone needs to get a new idea. Take as many pictures of a completed project as possible, 4 mb min., while focusing on different parts. Come back when grass regrwos, remove hoses and grill covers, heck I even have a pile of silk flowers in pots and some accessories that I use to stage a patio. As you can see I live by my photos, it is hands down the easist way to seperate yourself from the rest of us.

zedosix
02-05-2009, 07:57 AM
If you are serious about hardscaping, I think a well thought out website will tell your future customers what kind of work you do.

tatmkr
02-05-2009, 08:42 AM
If you are serious about hardscaping, I think a well thought out website will tell your future customers what kind of work you do.

He's right, I know that I never call someone unless I visit their website first.