PDA

View Full Version : Truck batteries

IdealLawnCare
01-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Do any of you guys buy the same brand of battery for you vehicles, and which brands does everyone buy?

My battery took a crap Monday so I had to make a choice on a new one today. I asked a few people and they said spend a few extra $$$$ and get a optima. I went to my local Sams club and got an Optima Red top for $139.00. They say the optima withstands the bouncing and jarring better because of a gel inside. I dont know but thats what I was told. Because I have a snowplow I would have bought an upgraded battery from standard anyway. What are everyones thoughts.

WH401
01-27-2009, 08:15 PM
You made a good choice. I have to replace the standard Deere battery on my tractor due to the infamous "corrosion problem's" and I'll be using an optima. There completely sealed so it shouldn't be a problem now.

Jason Rose
01-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Interstate.

I'm sure the optima batteries are good though, never tried one to see how long they last.

mjealey
01-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Never tried one either, but I know my brother swears by them and says they last forever.

nosparkplugs
01-27-2009, 11:05 PM
It all depends on your needs & wants, and budget. IMO as long as you get a lifetime guarantee on the battery, and it has the proper CCA your good. Keep Fluid Film on the terminals you will have many years of good serviceThumbs Up.

I would consider the Optima Gel if I did not have to purchase two of them:cry:

South Florida Lawns
01-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Optima Red or Yellow top. Florida heat kills batteries fast only 2-3 years max, I have a friend that's got one at least 6 years old now. I just bought one last year for my truck well worth the extra $60.

nosparkplugs
01-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Optima Red or Yellow top. Florida heat kills batteries fast only 2-3 years max, I have a friend that's got one at least 6 years old now. I just bought one last year for my truck well worth the extra $60.

I still have the OEM batteries in my 02 Dodge, and the summer temp here in Memphis is 95-110. The extreme cold in northern Michigan would kill batteries, have not had heat do that yet. Two Optima batteries for my diesel, last time I checked was at least $250

South Florida Lawns
01-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Well we all know OEM quality is tough to beat. I messed up there its actually the humidity that takes its toll on batteries, we don't get super hot down here 95 ish in the summer but we almost always get close to 100% humidity.

nosparkplugs
01-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Well we all know OEM quality is tough to beat. I messed up there its actually the humidity that takes its toll on batteries, we don't get super hot down here 95 ish in the summer but we almost always get close to 100% humidity.

Memphis got 100% humidity too:laugh:

South Florida Lawns
01-28-2009, 12:17 AM
I guess you got a good battery then. My OEM lasted almost 4 yrs.

IdealLawnCare
01-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Most optima batteries have a 3 year free replacement vs. most other brands have a 2 year replacement. My wife says no new truck for a few years so I guess Ill see how good it is.

Valk
01-28-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm no battery expert. Was once told by a battery shop owner that batteries are good for ~+/-50k miles on average...so far I'd have to agree with this as a dang accurate rule of thumb. When I used to drive ~25k/yr I'd get 2 years. Am now avging 17k/yr and getting 3 yrs. I'm sure there are exceptions...

Dano50
02-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Fluid Film (http://www.fluid-film.com) will last a minimum of twelve months protecting battery terminals. It is excellent at protecting from electrical corrosion and can be used as a dielectric grease.

It is non-conductive, so just make sure connections are tight.

J&R Landscaping
02-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I had a Energizer battery in my 94 f250 when I bought it in 2006. I got about 16 months out of it and then it was time for a new one. I put an interstate battery in the truck and have been satisfied thus far.
My 2006 f250 still has the OEM batteries in it. I'll prolly replace them with interstate when the time comes.

coobie
02-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Buy a Deka.Thumbs Up

wellbuilt
02-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Ive never replaced a battery in a ford diesel truck and i keep them 5 years ? I have dead batteries in my new ford lcf they need to be changed out after 11/2 years . I like sears diehards but think the optima is a good upgrade . I need two batteries and the cost is around 300 bucks . My wife's truck is a 03 and should be due for 2 new batteries and all my equipment and dump trailers are dead because it been real cold . I mite need to buy stock in the company. John

greenleaf224
02-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Ive had nothing but bad luck with my optima red top, i switched to interstate batterys a few years ago and have been completely satisfied

topsites
02-12-2009, 11:32 AM
The people who recommended and sold you that battery don't know what they're doing or talking about.

Gel cells are deep cycle / marine batteries ...

Basically there are two types of batteries; starting (cranking), and deep cycle (marine/golf cart). The starting battery (SLI starting lights ignition) is designed to deliver quick bursts of energy (such as starting engines) and have a greater plate count. The plates will also be thinner and have somewhat different material composition. The deep cycle battery has less instant energy but greater long-term energy delivery. Deep cycle batteries have thicker plates and can survive a number of discharge cycles. Starting batteries should not be used for deep cycle applications.

They are usually used in applications where the electricity can not or is not immediately recharged,
also these batteries are sensitive to how they are recharged and generally require a constant and measured charge
such as from a specific charger, and may be used in electrical vehicles such as scooters and golf carts.

The electrolyte in a GEL cell has a silica additive that causes it to set up or stiffen. The recharge voltages on this type of cell are lower than the other styles of lead acid battery. This is probably the most sensitive cell in terms of adverse reactions to over-voltage charging. Gel Batteries are best used in VERY DEEP cycle application and may last a bit longer in hot weather applications. If the incorrect battery charger is used on a Gel Cell battery poor performance and premature failure is certain.
Yeah, like an alternator.

You don't want this crap in your car.

Next time get a 1,000 cca. liquid filled standard lead acid battery, they run about $80-$100.

Matter of fact I would take that gel battery back and tell them to give you a 1,000 cca lead acid one.
A thousand cold cranking amps, that's what you need.

Oh, and don't leave your lights on and turn the ignition and accessories off when the engine isn't running. :p

RightLawnsKY
02-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Duralast GOLDS or higher than gold but i dont think they make a better one.

I have a diehard suv and truck battery in my k5 blazer and is all beat up but keeps on going

IdealLawnCare
02-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Next time get a 1,000 cca. liquid filled standard lead acid battery, they run about $80-$100.

:p

I did a Little research after the fact and the Red Top Battery I have is a liquid filled standard lead acid battery but I feel comfortable with the fact I got an Optima for $139.00. The OEM battery was only 600 cca and the optima is 800 cca.

The blue top optima is the deep cycle / marine battery.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Always got good results from Interstate battery.....they rate the CCA @ 0 degrees where as alot rate the others rate theirs @ 32 degrees......another thing too check how good of a battery you are buying.....oh I always got atleast 4 years from them and 6 is pretty much avg

outlaw1960
02-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Duralast GOLDS or higher than gold but i dont think they make a better one.

I have a diehard suv and truck battery in my k5 blazer and is all beat up but keeps on going

I also have Duralast Golds, three year free replacement. I tried Optimas in the diesel, loved them in my gasser but they didn't last more than a year in my f250....dunno?

ed2hess
02-14-2009, 06:44 PM
We usually buy Autozone but getting fed up. Every time I take a battery in that doesn't work they say it is fine. The free replacement for two years isn't any good in our area.

02DURAMAX
02-15-2009, 04:22 AM
I still have the OEM batteries in my 02 Dodge, and the summer temp here in Memphis is 95-110. The extreme cold in northern Michigan would kill batteries, have not had heat do that yet. Two Optima batteries for my diesel, last time I checked was at least $250

Cheap A$$

I have two Optima Red tops on my Diesel.

They work Great!