PDA

View Full Version : How not to wire a GFCI

LightYourNight
01-27-2009, 10:09 PM
I found this on one of my jobs a few months back and am finally getting aorund to posting these pictures. The homeowner doesn't remember who wired this up. I would sure like to know. I would give them a FAIL on GFCI protecting those transformers.

This is why lawn guys should never be allowed to install outdoor lighting.

Chris J
01-27-2009, 10:14 PM
That's what happens when someone provides "design assistance" over the internet without the benefit of quality oversight and installation. But whatever makes a few bucks, right?

LightYourNight
01-27-2009, 10:16 PM
you like to bust my balls dont you

Chris J
01-27-2009, 10:19 PM
yep. Don't you like the conversation?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Seriously, how could the homeowner have no recollection of who "installed" (I use that term loosely in this example) that mess?

I hope you ripped the whole thing out, or walked away. No need to get involved in a basket case like that.

LightYourNight
01-27-2009, 10:43 PM
I think your totally right. I might give you a hard time if we were in each others shoes.

In a perfect world every homeowner would hire us to do their lighting.

Showrooms sell low volt lighting direct to customers and a lot install themselves or have a friend/handyman/lawnguy/lazy electrician install, and in most cases it turns out bad. Lots of times the customers get very incorrect info especially in design from the lighting showroom sales people. I try to give useful info to anyone who contacts we locally and online. I have in a few cases looked up lighting pros in certain areas if I get a decent order and pass the contact info along to the customer. Encouraging them to have a professional install the lighting they have purchased.

My local customers love to be be able to browse the lighting fixtures i quote online and see prices. Most of my business is face to face in my area. The internet makes up about 5-10% of my business and most of that is wire sales. Most of the business I get online would goto sites like www.lightinguniverse.com and other generic home improvement sales sites if not to me. I think its good if I take away some of that business from them and answer design questions. Those megasites are evil!! they have stores that sell everything from landscape lighting to rug out of the same office. And dont have any specialized knowledge.

I dont think im stealing any business from you. And if I ever get an inquiry from someone in your area who is in need of services I would be happy to refer them to you.

Again let me say that I don't get much business from the internet my site is used primarily by my local customers to check prices on fixtures and make decisions. On large jobs the customer probably wont look at the site much but on smaller jobs where budget is an issue the customer find it really helpful.

tequila shots here i come!

LightYourNight
01-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Seriously, how could the homeowner have no recollection of who "installed" (I use that term loosely in this example) that mess?

I hope you ripped the whole thing out, or walked away. No need to get involved in a basket case like that.

They are super busy and had a assistant that set the last guy up years ago...

We ripped it all out and had our electrician install a 2 ganger for 3 transformers with controlscape units for seperate zones.

It was seriously dangerous before!!!

Chris J
01-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Man I've got no problem with you, whatever it is your doing. Everyone has to make a living, and I am no exception. I don't like some of what your doing, but I don't condemn you for it. I just give you S*** for it. If it's working for you, then I'm happy for you. But I really wish you would use your own pics! I don't mind the usage of my pics for a short time, until you get some of your own, but damn! You have created a world-wide business with my work! That's just wrong.

JoeyD
01-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Whast wrong with Red Wire Nuts and Electrical tape?

LOL

NightLightingFX
01-28-2009, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE= I don't mind the usage of my pics for a short time, until you get some of your own, but damn! You have created a world-wide business with my work! That's just wrong.[/QUOTE]

Chris,
I know this is kind of a sensitive subject for you. But think about it, by his exploitation of your work, you are able to make the claim, "Award winning architectural and landscape lighting designs." That is worth quite a bit don't you think?
~Ned

Chris J
01-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Someone else's exploitation of my work has nothing to do with my "award winning" lighting design. I've been using that line for years, and long before I heard of anyone else using my pictures. You have got a really warped view on this subject (just my opinion). How much worth is it to me and my company that someone else is using my pictures to promote their own business in the same field? How can that possibly be worth something to me other than the flattery that someone else thinks enough of my pictures to want to use them. I'm not getting it, but I really don't need to.

Gr1ffin
01-31-2009, 09:43 PM
You have created a world-wide business with my work! That's just wrong.

...Only the tip of the iceberg... I'd be fuming if I was one of THESE people:

http://lightyournight.com/content.php?content_id=1022
http://www.landscapelightingwarehouse.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

http://lightyournight.com/content.php?content_id=1021
http://www.sitelights.com/

LightYourNight, I'm truly sorry to bash, but the above examples are more than shameless, they are illegal.

LightYourNight
02-02-2009, 12:34 AM
ok lets bash me some more... i need to constantly defend myself? The lighting techniques images is from hadco. They are all over the place. and the sitelights info has a source at the bottom.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-02-2009, 08:04 AM
John... There is one way out of this mess you are in. Simply use your own photos. Even if you have to go out there and take some snap shots, then manipulate them some with Picasa 3, (photoshop is better but harder to master) then so be it.

You owe it to yourself, your clients, and your prospects to only showcase your work.

When I started out, one of my first purchases (and one I could barely afford at the time) was a good quality digi-cam with a full feature set allowing manual control. I didnt have a website, but did produce a pretty decent printed portfolio that I showed to everyone I met. Your own pictures will also build your confidence and pride when you are in front of your clients.

Regards

LightYourNight
02-02-2009, 12:06 PM
thanks James. You are right and I know that I need to step it up. I have pictures of 4 properties we lit on my website. I need to get better pictures and take more shots. Thanks for the critisism guys, its helping me step my game up.