PDA

View Full Version : New Duramax for Me!!!

mjealey
01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I finally bit the bullet and bought a new truck. I had a 97 3/4 ton Extended Cab short bed chevy. Had the old 350 and 3.73 gears. It was hard to get rid of, was my favorite truck of all time. Bought it used in 2002 with 48,000 miles on it. Since then, I have put 125,000 miles on it so it had 173,000 on it. In the 7 years I had it, only had to replace the breaks, alternator and battery. I did do all maitenance and took really good care of it.

We traded my wife's little 2000 Celica GT-s and my truck for 2004 Chevy 2500hd. 2004 Chevy is crew cab short bed. LT trim package with every option Chevy had to offer in that year. The truck is prefect through out and only has 39,000 miles on it. I was very open and I test drove about a dozen different trucks. Ford, Dodge, and Chevy's. Just my opinion, but overall comfort and truck I liked the Duramax a lot better than the Cummins or Power Stroke. Both good motors and trucks, but the Chevy was definetely the right choice for me.

True story, I was test driving a 2006 Power Stroke with the salesman. He asked me what all I was looking at, and I said I have narrowed it down to a Ford and Chevy. He didn't skip a beat, and said that if it was up to him, he would go with the Chevy!!!! I couldn't believe it, I was laughing. He was telling me about how many power strokes he has sold and they come back in for warranty work in no time.

Best part of the truck was the mileage. Went to Greenville, TN saturday night and averaged 21.3 MPG on the way there and backset on cruise at 65. Since saturday I have put 283 miles on it with the rest driving backroads and some stop and go traffic and I am averaging 18.4 mpg. I love this truck!!!!!!!!

davis45
01-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Whats all done to it? No way your gettin 21mpg all stock.

mjealey
01-27-2009, 11:12 PM
I thought the same thing, but I have taken it to two different dealers and they say it is all stock. The only thing that it has is a K&N filter on it. I am not even a big fan of them either. I have had a lot of trucks and am not one to exagerate on the mileage. It also has 265 tires instead of 245. They look at it and say there are no chips, stock exhaust, stock intake, and turbo. They might have ran a programmer on it, but it doesn't feel or sound any different than the other Duramaxes that I drove. I don't know we will see. My neighbor has an 03 and his is for sure bone stock and he baby's his and swears that he pulls the same mileage on the highway too. I don't know.

sa1lng
01-27-2009, 11:37 PM
My 07 Duramax can get 21 MPG on the highway if I soft pedal it and keep it under 70. Around town I average 16 - 17

nosparkplugs
01-27-2009, 11:45 PM
I finally bit the bullet and bought a new truck. I had a 97 3/4 ton Extended Cab short bed chevy. Had the old 350 and 3.73 gears. It was hard to get rid of, was my favorite truck of all time. Bought it used in 2002 with 48,000 miles on it. Since then, I have put 125,000 miles on it so it had 173,000 on it. In the 7 years I had it, only had to replace the breaks, alternator and battery. I did do all maitenance and took really good care of it.

We traded my wife's little 2000 Celica GT-s and my truck for 2004 Chevy 2500hd. 2004 Chevy is crew cab short bed. LT trim package with every option Chevy had to offer in that year. The truck is prefect through out and only has 39,000 miles on it. I was very open and I test drove about a dozen different trucks. Ford, Dodge, and Chevy's. Just my opinion, but overall comfort and truck I liked the Duramax a lot better than the Cummins or Power Stroke. Both good motors and trucks, but the Chevy was definetely the right choice for me.

True story, I was test driving a 2006 Power Stroke with the salesman. He asked me what all I was looking at, and I said I have narrowed it down to a Ford and Chevy. He didn't skip a beat, and said that if it was up to him, he would go with the Chevy!!!! I couldn't believe it, I was laughing. He was telling me about how many power strokes he has sold and they come back in for warranty work in no time.

Best part of the truck was the mileage. Went to Greenville, TN saturday night and averaged 21.3 MPG on the way there and backset on cruise at 65. Since saturday I have put 283 miles on it with the rest driving backroads and some stop and go traffic and I am averaging 18.4 mpg. I love this truck!!!!!!!!

Good for you:waving:

TXNSLighting
01-28-2009, 12:11 AM
My 07 Duramax can get 21 MPG on the highway if I soft pedal it and keep it under 70. Around town I average 16 - 17

Ha! 16 or 17 around town, thats funny.

TXNSLighting
01-28-2009, 12:12 AM
I hope it serves you well. I test drove so many 03's 04's and 05's and hated all of them. Thats the reason i never gave the Dmax a chance. Then The LBZ came out. wew! That sold me on them, Bought an 07. I just wish the truck was better built. O well, good luck with it!

sa1lng
01-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Ha! 16 or 17 around town, thats funny.

Why would I or the other poster lie about the fuel economy? Geesh.

In my previous professional life I had fleets of Fords and Toyota's (600+ vehicles) so I am not a novice on vehicle fleets. This is the first Chevy I personally have owned and I am relatively impressed.

It is what it is.

Become a bit more opened minded or informed so that you don't look so ignorant.

corey4671
01-28-2009, 08:00 AM
well since no one else has said it yet..WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?

Ya know, my parents have all Ford products as do my inlaws. I just HATE driving a Ford. I hate the interior. I hate the way they handle. I don't know what it is but I am so much more comfortable in my Chevys.

Moto52
01-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Are you hand calculating the mileage or just going by the computer read out??? computer read out is not accurate at all my truck say's I'm getting 20.9mpg but I'm not getting anywhere near that..

TXNSLighting
01-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Why would I or the other poster lie about the fuel economy? Geesh.

In my previous professional life I had fleets of Fords and Toyota's (600+ vehicles) so I am not a novice on vehicle fleets. This is the first Chevy I personally have owned and I am relatively impressed.

It is what it is.

Become a bit more opened minded or informed so that you don't look so ignorant.

I hope your kidding, I have a duramax, and know plenty with Duramaxs, they dont get that good of fuel economy in town. Thats more highway readings than anything. I dont know why you would lie about your economy. But o well, we all have to get our kicks.

sa1lng
01-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I have done it both ways and get about the same results (within 1/2 mpg). With mine, fuel economy is dictated by how hard I drive it. If I drive it like a Grampa, it is as least 30% improvement over driving it hard.

genesis215
01-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Driving style is what makes the mileage bad or good. If you accelerte around like a hotrodder, then of course you won't get good mileage. But if you keep your foot out of it and just give it just enough gas LIGHTLY to get it accelerating in speed, then you can get nearly the mileage in town that you can get on the highway. All of my full-size vehicles didn't do hardly any better at all on the highway than in town. My 1995 Ford Powerstroke diesel gets 18-19 MPG in town, about 18 on the highway at 65 MPH, and an incredible 24 MPG on the highway if I keep my speed down to 55 MPH. It just your driving style that makes the fuel mileage good or bad. Especially with a diesel, the mileage is greatly determined by the RPM's that you are turning. If you keep a diesel's RPM's down to around 1800 or less on the highway, and don't rev to more than 1500 RPM when accelerating from stops, then the mileage will increase by a HUGE amount.

DLAWNS
01-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Congratulations on your purchase!

yeayea14
01-28-2009, 06:26 PM
I hope your kidding, I have a duramax, and know plenty with Duramaxs, they dont get that good of fuel economy in town. Thats more highway readings than anything. I dont know why you would lie about your economy. But o well, we all have to get our kicks.

My father has a new 07 Duramax and he gets 16 mpg around town also.

nosparkplugs
01-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I have done it both ways and get about the same results (within 1/2 mpg). With mine, fuel economy is dictated by how hard I drive it. If I drive it like a Grampa, it is as least 30% improvement over driving it hard.

I know your full of BS; because the best MPG Duramax is 2wd with 3.08axle, minimally.

Take your 22mpg Duramax claim to any diesel forum, even a Duramax friendly Forum you will be told your FULL OF BS. Their are very few 22 mpg Duramax trucks out their, the one's getting 22 mpg are extremely modified trucks, for the sole purpose of setting & breaking the Duramax MPG record. Your claimed 22 mpg puts you in the same class with guys spending over $10,000 in Duramax engine modifications, just for mpg bragging rights. You need to sign up for the Dieselpower best MPG challenge with a 22 mpg Duramax claimThumbs Up

TXNSLighting
01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
I know your full of BS; because the best MPG Duramax is 2wd with 3.08axle, minimally.

Take your 22mpg Duramax claim to any diesel forum, even a Duramax friendly Forum you will be told your FULL OF BS. Their are very few 22 mpg Duramax trucks out their, the one's getting 22 mpg are extremely modified trucks, for the sole purpose of setting & breaking the Duramax MPG record. Your claimed 22 mpg puts you in the same class with guys spending over $10,000 in Duramax engine modifications, just for mpg bragging rights. You need to sign up for the Dieselpower best MPG challenge with a 22 mpg Duramax claimThumbs Up

Thank for the backup as usual.

sa1lng
01-28-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't think anyone claimed 22 MPG, but 21.

Be careful about calling people liers when you have no idea what you are talking about. I know a number of 07 Duramax's that are getting that kind of fuel economy in isolated conditions (ie: pure highway measurements).

You two seem a bit wet behind the ears (not that I wasn't at your age)..but listen a little more rather spewing insults. You'll be amazed at what you might learn

mjealey
01-28-2009, 07:31 PM
As far as mileage, I am going by what the driver information center is telling me. Talked to two more people that have Duramaxes today and they said 20+ miles on the highway is not uncommon at all. I have no reason to lie. I don't get any kicks out of it. I am going to fill up tonight, so we will see what I am really getting. Possibility the computer is wrong. I will try to get some pics tomorrow during the day if i have time and I will post.

Keep in mind I am very very easy on it, am trying to squeeze as much out of it as I can.

mjealey
01-28-2009, 07:35 PM
One other thing, with getting that kind of mileage on the highway, I had it set on cruise at 65, no wind, and pretty flat highway. That helps a lot!

Mule100
01-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Mine is a 2006 ext cab long bed (big fuel tank) 4x4, 3.73 gears and Michellin 285's getting 13-14 around town and 19-20 interstate at 65mph. When I head to ther coast on back roads at 55-60 mph I get up to 21. 146,000 miles so far and still on original brakes.

nosparkplugs
01-28-2009, 07:49 PM
As far as mileage, I am going by what the driver information center is telling me. Talked to two more people that have Duramaxes today and they said 20+ miles on the highway is not uncommon at all. I have no reason to lie. I don't get any kicks out of it. I am going to fill up tonight, so we will see what I am really getting. Possibility the computer is wrong. I will try to get some pics tomorrow during the day if i have time and I will post.

Keep in mind I am very very easy on it, am trying to squeeze as much out of it as I can.

I might be able to fathom your numbers if you had a 2wd short box, and modified axle gears. Your already behind with 4x4 alone:waving:

Go do some research on the Duramax & average MPG, and the overhead computer console accuracy. You need to do some hand mpg calculations with about 3 or 4 tanks of fuel, and real world average's not this granny driving & coasting on the interstate BS or idling in your driveway looking at the overhead console MPG.

Also I have thought about your comments on the Ford salesman & the Powerstroke, as much a I dislike the Powerstroke:laugh:, I find it hard to believe that any salesman during a recession would totally shoot himself in the foot, and talk down the product their selling. You loose some creditability my friend with those comments:nono:, just say you like the Duramax, and you have that "intoxicating" new diesel syndrome we all get:laugh:

mjealey
01-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Like I said, I will do some hand calculating also. I am going to go fill up tonight. It will only be for one tank though. I am almost on empty right now. I drive 28 miles one way to work. It is mostly back roads and there are about 10 stops, the last 13 miles are on a straight flat area. With all this, the computer says I have averaged 18.3 mpg since filling up last Saturday. The first 130 miles were nothing but highway going to Greenville and back.

Nossparkplugs, I totally agree with you, I was blown away when he said that. After talking to him more, he did admit his family had always had Chevy's he just works at the Ford dealership because he supposedly makes more than at the chevy dealership and the only place he can find a job. He might not be there next month though!!!

This is my first diesel that I have owned personally, but have drove them a lot and once you spend time in a diesel 3/4 ton no matter what brand, you won't go back to gas. It is "intoxicating."

Mule100
01-28-2009, 08:01 PM
When I am driving for 4 hours at a time I do the math. As the 140k shows, A few tanks have been run through the filter. If you don't believe then don't. I know what my truck gets for mileage. By the way in the driveway the economy goes down not up.

mjealey
01-28-2009, 08:03 PM
I would take a Power Stroke in a second, the problem was the ones in my price range were 03-05, and those were the ones I wanted to stay away from.

I'd give anything to find an 01-03 for the 7.3 with low miles, very hard to find, I tried!!!

mjealey
01-28-2009, 08:49 PM
All right, here is the verdict on the gas mileage. I filled up and it took 22.234 gallons to top off. I drove 396.5 miles since Saturday. Do the math and it comes out to 17.836. My onboard computer was off by .5 MPG. We will see over the next 3 or 4 tanks.

Chevy recomends changing the oil every 10,000 miles in the duramax. That sounds really long time. How long do most of you go between oil changes? I'd go up to 5,000 an that is it.

nosparkplugs
01-28-2009, 09:11 PM
All right, here is the verdict on the gas mileage. I filled up and it took 22.234 gallons to top off. I drove 396.5 miles since Saturday. Do the math and it comes out to 17.836. My onboard computer was off by .5 MPG. We will see over the next 3 or 4 tanks.

Chevy recomends changing the oil every 10,000 miles in the duramax. That sounds really long time. How long do most of you go between oil changes? I'd go up to 5,000 an that is it.

17.836 is more realistic, and still better than a gasburner.:clapping: The Duramax takes a program very well, you could hit 20mpg:laugh:

from your original post you were off buy 3.46 gallons :dizzy:

mjealey
01-28-2009, 09:57 PM
When I posted the 21.3 that was for the first 130 miles, all highway to Greenville and back. The next 269 were normal driving conditins. Driving around town and commuting to work on mostly back roads and 2 lane highways. Probably averaged 16-17 in those conditions for a total average of 17.8. All in all I can't complain. I was averaging about 13 to 14 with my old truck.

TXNSLighting
01-28-2009, 10:00 PM
I go 10k on my duramax between oil changes. and the best economy i ever got was 19.2 highway. Rpms were at 1700 at 70 mph.

nosparkplugs
01-28-2009, 10:05 PM
I go 10k on my duramax between oil changes. and the best economy i ever got was 19.2 highway. Rpms were at 1700 at 70 mph.

sweet :clapping:

davis45
01-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Not just a duramax, but no stock diesel will get 22 mpg stock. Thats that. But lets see some pics of the truck.

wow, I totally missed the 3rd page before I posted.

WH401
01-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Not just a duramax, but no stock diesel will get 22 mpg stock. Thats that. But lets see some pics of the truck.

wow, I totally missed the 3rd page before I posted.

A stock, 2wd, mechanically injected 12v or 24v Cummins could easily do 22 on the highway without any problem. I agree 22 mpg on a new common rail engine with 4x4 is probably unlikely, but 22 can be done, , new or old.

TXNSLighting
01-28-2009, 10:51 PM
sweet :clapping:

I was quite happy about it!

TXNSLighting
01-28-2009, 10:53 PM
We never said it couldnt be done, but there are plenty of idiots out there that thing their trucks get 20 mpg in town...:hammerhead: a good ole modded 2wd could probably get 22 highway. but they spent some money to get it.

davis45
01-28-2009, 10:54 PM
A stock, 2wd, mechanically injected 12v or 24v Cummins could easily do 22 on the highway without any problem. I agree 22 mpg on a new common rail engine with 4x4 is probably unlikely, but 22 can be done, , new or old.

I forgot about the old cummins. I dont know anything about the old mechanical ones.

Lawnworks
01-29-2009, 06:34 PM
I hope it serves you well. I test drove so many 03's 04's and 05's and hated all of them. Thats the reason i never gave the Dmax a chance. Then The LBZ came out. wew! That sold me on them, Bought an 07. I just wish the truck was better built. O well, good luck with it!

Kind of funny how your POS LBZ has had more problems than my LB7. Too bad you are upside down in that truck... you're stuck with it!

Lawnworks
01-29-2009, 06:35 PM

The cummins smokes the duramax in every category. I just have a duramax because of the cab and comfort.

mjealey
01-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Just curious, not being smart but what do you mean by "smokes"? Are you talking about completely stock Cummins and Duramax? I do really like the 5.9 Cummins also, the comnfort in a Chevy is a plus too.

Lawnworks
01-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Just curious, not being smart but what do you mean by "smokes"? Are you talking about completely stock Cummins and Duramax? I do really like the 5.9 Cummins also, the comnfort in a Chevy is a plus too.

I think they are more reliable, have more torque, more efficient, and by far have more ability to handle more aftermarket performance modifications. The I6 design is superior to the v8 design in diesel engines. There are practically zero v8 designs in semi applications. I like my gmc/duramax... it is a good grocery getter.

BTW, I have never gotten above 18mpg in my duramax.

sa1lng
01-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Well, I am sure this will stir up the hornets nest. In my previous professional life I managed fleets of up to 600 vehicles. With that kind of fleet, managing repair cost and downtime is everything.

Approximately 125 of the vehicles were 1 ton cab and chassis diesel bucket trucks. Without exception, the Fords were much more reliable with substantially lower downtime and had significantly lower operating expense which included repairs.

The GM products were good performers but could not hold a candle to the Fords. Repair and maintenance cost were 15% more. (one caveat is the sample was 1995 - 2005.)

We purposely bought all 3 major brands when possible in order to distribute any liability should one manufacturer have a significant issue during a model year. In 2003, we simply quit purchasing Dodges, as the repair cost over the life of the vehicle was almost 50% greater than the Fords.

As for non-diesel trucks, Ford service vans carried the same type of reliability and cost comparisons. The only exception was Toyota pickup trucks which were just simply outstanding. The literally had 50% less operating cost than a comparable Ford or Chevy.

mjealey
01-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Intersting sa1ling, when I started looking a few months ago, I did keep the Tundra in mind. I did test drive a brand new one when my wife bought her Camry at Toyota of Knoxville just to drive it. They seemed like they were made really well and there iforce 5.7 really makes a lot of power. Couldn't really find anything, and really wanted a diesel. For a 1/2 ton, I really do believe they are the best 1/2 ton on the market. Contrary to what you said above, I heard they are pretty expensive to work on. However, if they are never broke down then I guess you don't need to pay for the expenses as in the examples above.

sa1lng
01-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Intersting sa1ling, when I started looking a few months ago, I did keep the Tundra in mind. I did test drive a brand new one when my wife bought her Camry at Toyota of Knoxville just to drive it. They seemed like they were made really well and there iforce 5.7 really makes a lot of power. Couldn't really find anything, and really wanted a diesel. For a 1/2 ton, I really do believe they are the best 1/2 ton on the market. Contrary to what you said above, I heard they are pretty expensive to work on. However, if they are never broke down then I guess you don't need to pay for the expenses as in the examples above.

I guess parts may be a bit more expensive on the Toyota's, but labor rates are about the same. You're absolutely right, the interval between repairs is what makes the difference.

We literally would budget $200 / year (which is just unheard of) for things other than typical maintenance things, LOF's, tranny fluid changes, air filters, wipers, tires, brakes, windshields, and a timing belts for the first 100,000 miles.

TXNSLighting
01-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Kind of funny how your POS LBZ has had more problems than my LB7. Too bad you are upside down in that truck... you're stuck with it!

In a battle with Gm currenty to take it off my hands! and it really hasnt been the duramax itself. just everything aroun it.