PDA

View Full Version : anyone use a classen slit seeder

grassman177
01-28-2009, 09:37 AM
we have the classen slit seeder, i cant remember the model, but the one that is real similar to the ryan mataway.

it idoes a great job, but i have tensioned the belts a few times, but it always gets stuck up from thatch, not even that much. any suggestions or tricks anyone knows that can alieviate the problem. thanks,

grassman177
01-28-2009, 09:38 AM
to further explain, getting stuck is the machine literaly sits, like stuck and does not drive forward without a little rocking on it, then goes jsut fine for 5-10 ft. i know this cant be normal,

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
01-29-2009, 09:41 AM
1. Depending on what machine you have you might be having wheel problems. If you've got a bearing that's acting up or mud/thatch that's wedging a wheel or wheels that could explain what you're describing.

2. It might also be that your blades are engaging nicely and the unit pulls itself along but then a quick dip in the lawn occurs, the soil engagement ends with the blades and they simply spin and the unit will sit. If this is the case that's completely normal.

Let me know if there are any other questions I can help you with.

grassman177
01-29-2009, 10:49 PM
ah, i dont think it has to do with the tines missing the ground due to a dip as it is hydrolically driven, not ground driven by the tines.

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
If it's driven you're out of my area of knowledge. Sorry.

grassman177
01-30-2009, 10:44 AM
thanks though. no problems, trying to help is the best thing. i emailed the company but have no response as of yet, guess i should check the email

grassman177
02-03-2009, 09:51 PM
anyone, obviously the company has crappy customer service now that larry sold it. theyhave never replied to me about this. i am hoping some of you all can helpo figure it out.

Danscapes
02-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I hate those machines, when I rent a slit seeder I try and look for a self propelled one. A true self propelled one, not the "tines propel" it. If you even try to use those kind on a hill you better be a bad ass cause it aint easy.

grassman177
02-04-2009, 02:36 PM
this one is hydro driven, i searched their webiste and dont think they even make it anymore otherwise i would link to it, but it is a copy of a ryan mataway slit seeeder that has the tubes and discs that meter the seed rightinto the slice at the same time. not to be confused with a verti cutter

here is a linkto the ryan model. mine is different, but you can get the idea.http://www.ryanturf.com/products/specialty/mataway_osdt/

allinearth
02-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Can't offer help but I am curious what those sell for.

grassman177
02-04-2009, 10:06 PM
i think we piad 1800 used. but thne again i cant remember much past two days ago. i think they must be like 4500 new or something.

allinearth
02-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Wow:dizzy: THose aren't cheap. I have a few times a year where I could use one but couldn't justify that price.

grassman177
02-05-2009, 11:32 AM
yeah, we used it more after we fist got it, but like i am trying to figure out, ti gets stuck aand you have to rock the machine to get it to keep going. i will try to post some pics so you guys can see it and relate. it has no prblems on bare dirt, just in turf and no the turf is not tall when we use it. it is most similar to the gandy brand walkbehind seeder

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
02-07-2009, 10:57 AM
I would make sure the belts are good and not slipping you my have a hydro leak or air in the line or a pump going out. Is it only one wheel or both. Hill no hill. Make sure you hrydo bolts are are tight. I can't think of the name but the nut that you loosen incase you need to move it manually. Just a few thoghts

grassman177
02-07-2009, 04:23 PM
thanks, i will check into that. i have tightened the belts b4 and it helps some, but not enough.

allinearth
02-11-2009, 08:04 AM
How does the one you have compare to the ones lawn solutions and classen make that are advertised on this site.

br549oicu8
02-11-2009, 10:16 AM
How does the one you have compare to the ones lawn solutions and classen make that are advertised on this site.
Hard to compare as they are quite different. My Classen is much like a Ryan Mataway seeder. It slices the ground and has tubes that place the seeds in the slits. It is a good machine that we just need to tweak a little. It could be no more than slipping belts. My son (Grassman177) has messed with it but I think we need a couple of heads banging together to get it adjusted.
The newer seeders you mention are much lighter and more maneuverable. I'd go with that style. The Lawn Solutions looks like a nice machine. I saw them in Louisville and would probably have purchased one if I didn't already have the Classen.

Barefoot James
02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Lawn Solutions Tuf Revitilizer is the best power seeder on the market. I would jus cut your losses. surely by nowyou have ade more than enough money to cover a $1800 investment. Get a Turf Revitilizer and you will never look back - use the other as a back up if you can ever get it to work right.

grassman177
02-17-2009, 01:41 PM
i would, but dont "need it". we mainly use the regular old verti cutters. but this machine has its uses. believe me, if money was not the issue, i would relly consider the turf revitalizer. it always seemed to be a sound machine and driven by chains i think, better than belts. i will hav eto look into it when i un bury it as i may need it on a job i bed. thanks