PDA

View Full Version : Electric pump question

VARMIT COMMISSION
01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
If you took two 5.0gpm electirc pumps and put a Y at the outflow and ran it to your hose reel with one hose, would it double your output that you were getting with only one pump at the end of say 250 foot of 1/2" hose? Obviously you would need a large enough hose feeding the two pump's! All the dealers I call say no, thats not the way it works! It sounds logical but---- has anyone ever tried this. Several other threads are get'n me thinking. I could just buy an electric pump and hook it up straight to my nurse tank and have a cheap rig for my flea & tick spray. But one pump there just is not enough volume at the end of the hose. I have also been told for every 100 foot of 1/2 hose you lose 30% of your PSI, with friction loss due to the length of hose. At 200 foot that is over half PSI lost. Also if you park down hill you loose a lot also. There would'nt even be a flow if the grade was steep. And your pump wouldnt last a day.

RAlmaroad
01-28-2009, 10:37 AM
I saw that very thing on the Shurflo site several months ago. The cost was very high. Too high. You could get a Hypro 252 from Rittenhouse and a good Honda 5.0 at Northern tools for not too much more.

Ric
01-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Varmit

Been There Done That.

Many years ago I started with the small 4.9 GPM at 60 PSI pushing a 300 hose. I was not happy with my GPM at the tip and did just what you want to try. One thing I did was have a Larger size suction side hose to get enough supply. I did just as you suggest and put the pumps in Parallel with Y's. Yes it increased my out put. I also wired the PSI cut off switch to only one pump because I was getting one pump working harder than the other. By wiring them together I got both pumps working the same. While I was happy with this set up. When I finally went to the D 30 Gas pump, it blew away the double 12V system. One advantage of the 12V pumps is the quite operating sound. This was great for early morning or late night Applications. Only problem I found was forgetting to turn off the pumps. The pressure switch turns off the pumps but keeps pressure on the hose. Small leaks or drips keeps the pumps cycling to keep the pressure up. One time a Hose came lose and the Pumps kicked on to empty the tank when I wasn't around. Big problem to say the least.

Roy

12V hypro or shurflo pumps are very cheap. the 4.9 GPM model is under a $ 100.00.

RAlmaroad
01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Ric:
This is what I had referenced:
http://www.solarhome.org/shurflo4111powertwin12voltpump.aspx
Sounds crazy don't it.

Rittenhouse's D252 is about $485 and a good Honda is about $180. Not too much higher.

RigglePLC
01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Varmint,
For surface insects you could go lower volume--try less water and more insecticide. No need for a lot of pressure or volume. (In most cases).

wallzwallz
01-28-2009, 11:59 AM
You can get that pump here for $220 :http://www.schabenindustries.com/Images/MainBody/catalog/12voltpumps.pdf bottom of page.

Ric
01-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Yo

I was cheap and used this pump very successful. BTW it was only $ 89.00 a few years back.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_37142_37142

Ric
01-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Varmint,
For surface insects you could go lower volume--try less water and more insecticide. No need for a lot of pressure or volume. (In most cases).

Riggle

IMHO and experience, I find more water and lower rates of insecticide does a better job of controlling insects. No argument meant here, just a statement of opinion.

VARMIT COMMISSION
01-28-2009, 12:27 PM

My question to this would be what is the least amount of water could I get away with per/M and still be effective on fleas and ticks. Mainly gunna use permethrin and talstar. I was always under the impression no less than 2gal/m with liquid insecticides. If I could use 1gal/m then this would probably work. Any experience with low vol. insecticides?

RAlmaroad
01-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Another option Varmit is to look into roller pumps. I use them in TN for spraying trees from the PTO of a tractor. Of course you'd need a good regulator, hose, guage, and tank. but the things are really good. Very easy to repair. You can pick up new ones on Ebay from $75-$200. I've seen some of the applicators in SC use them on their skids. Lots of the termite folks have them. I think they crawl around under those homes and shoot 50' across the ground so they don't have to move so much. Anyway give it a thought.