PDA

View Full Version : Ford F 550 rubber

King Cuts Landscaping
01-28-2009, 04:33 PM
For the guys or ladies running F 550’s, what is the best type of tire for tread wear, grip and load range?

We currently are running Kumho 937s 225/70R/19.5 in the rear and Kumho KRS03 225/70R/19.5 in the front. Our truck is a 05 diesel F 550 super duty crew cab 12 foot dump 2x4.
We mainly haul mulch, top soil and your normal landscape/hardscape materials.

Thanks,
Bret

srl28
01-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Been running good years on the freightliner and chevy 4500 dump hauling the same materials and the chevy always hauls a trailer. Good tires, no complaints other than the price.....1200 for 4 of em, but it is what it is

Marek
01-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Ran General 400s and 460s but was only getting 30k miles out of them so I had Continentals put on the front today, only about $25 more than the generals. Call Commercial tire in Elkridge , seems to always have the best prices.

Gravel Rat
01-28-2009, 08:35 PM
I have tried Bridgestones wasn't impressed with them the R250s touted as long wearing pealed off quick on the steer axle. So now I have Toyo M-109Z on the steer axle and running Bandag recaps on the back.

When the retreads need replacing I'am going with Ohtsu they are cheaper a tire like a 225/70R19.5 I'am looking at 300 a tire where as a Michelin is 400 dollars a tire. The retreads were 250 each.

www.ohtsutires.com/products/drive-service/bi-877

I never liked Goodyear tires never had any luck with them. Used Michelins in the past but not 19.5 only in 16 inch sizes. Guys with 19.5 tires longer than I have said the Michelins wear out too quick they ride nice but don't get the wear. So far I'am happy with the Toyos work good for the wet and dry but a little scary in the snow :laugh:

I should have gone with a closed shoulder drive tire for a steer for the traction a basic rib tread is a little slippery should have had them siped for more steering control in snow.

The bandag retreads I have on my 03 F-450 are okay they are michelin casings with gripper tread. The gripper tread howls like a SOB good traction but the noise is just as bad as a set of superswampers. Lets just say you have to turn the music up to drown out the tire noise I didn't think they would be that bad :cry:

I have used Bandag recapped 235/85R16 tires for years but always used the Commercial Traction Deep tread cap. Good for highway use and fairly quiet but not that good in mud.

If you live in a area where you have hot weather you may have troubles running a open shoulder drive on the rear so you would have to use a closed shoulder drive tire. A open shoulder drive tire creates heat and you don't get the mileage out of them. So you would have to run a tire like

www.yokohamatire.com/tires_commercial/ty303.aspx

The tire shop I deal with says it should have been criminal for Ford to use those General LMT series tires on the trucks. I heard the Continentals are not much better they really suck in the snow and rain.

With my F-450 I only get 15,000 miles out of 19.5 steer tires the drive tires are going on 18,000 miles I should get probably nother 10,000 miles out of them. I may change them out in the fall of 2009. The 19.5 tires do last longer than the 16 inch tires that were on the F-Superduty (F-450) I used to only get at most 11,000 miles out of the LTX MS Michelins.

A tow truck buddy he misses the 19.5 tires he went from a truck with them to a F-Superduty with 16 inch tires. He changes steer tires every 3 months he says this rotten 16 inch tires don't last :laugh:

Getting long mileage out of steer tires on any heavy dually is a joke your lucky to get a year out of them 15,000 to 19,000 miles.

Last thing to leave with you never buy the cheapest tires for your Steering axle. Good tires make or break the handling and control of the truck. Always use a good name brand. I would say the Kumhos would be the lowest grade you would want to use. Hankook makes the same tread patterns. You do want a tread soft enough that it gives you some cushion the 19.5 tires ride pretty rough as it is especially the 225/70R19.5s . Also if the rubber is hard it makes them slippery even on a dry road.

Take a turn too fast the truck keeps going straight because the tires are sliding. The orginal LMT-400s that were on my truck were horrible. You could be making a turn a little over the speed limit and all of a sudden the tires would break traction. Way too un-predictable.

Good Luck with your decision :drinkup:

King Cuts Landscaping
01-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Ran General 400s and 460s but was only getting 30k miles out of them so I had Continentals put on the front today, only about $25 more than the generals. Call Commercial tire in Elkridge , seems to always have the best prices.

Thanks Ill give them a shout tommorrow!!

King Cuts Landscaping
01-28-2009, 08:54 PM
I have tried Bridgestones wasn't impressed with them the R250s touted as long wearing pealed off quick on the steer axle. So now I have Toyo M-109Z on the steer axle and running Bandag recaps on the back.

When the retreads need replacing I'am going with Ohtsu they are cheaper a tire like a 225/70R19.5 I'am looking at 300 a tire where as a Michelin is 400 dollars a tire. The retreads were 250 each.

www.ohtsutires.com/products/drive-service/bi-877

I never liked Goodyear tires never had any luck with them. Used Michelins in the past but not 19.5 only in 16 inch sizes. Guys with 19.5 tires longer than I have said the Michelins wear out too quick they ride nice but don't get the wear. So far I'am happy with the Toyos work good for the wet and dry but a little scary in the snow :laugh:

I should have gone with a closed shoulder drive tire for a steer for the traction a basic rib tread is a little slippery should have had them siped for more steering control in snow.

The bandag retreads I have on my 03 F-450 are okay they are michelin casings with gripper tread. The gripper tread howls like a SOB good traction but the noise is just as bad as a set of superswampers. Lets just say you have to turn the music up to drown out the tire noise I didn't think they would be that bad :cry:

I have used Bandag recapped 235/85R16 tires for years but always used the Commercial Traction Deep tread cap. Good for highway use and fairly quiet but not that good in mud.

If you live in a area where you have hot weather you may have troubles running a open shoulder drive on the rear so you would have to use a closed shoulder drive tire. A open shoulder drive tire creates heat and you don't get the mileage out of them. So you would have to run a tire like

www.yokohamatire.com/tires_commercial/ty303.aspx

The tire shop I deal with says it should have been criminal for Ford to use those General LMT series tires on the trucks. I heard the Continentals are not much better they really suck in the snow and rain.

With my F-450 I only get 15,000 miles out of 19.5 steer tires the drive tires are going on 18,000 miles I should get probably nother 10,000 miles out of them. I may change them out in the fall of 2009. The 19.5 tires do last longer than the 16 inch tires that were on the F-Superduty (F-450) I used to only get at most 11,000 miles out of the LTX MS Michelins.

A tow truck buddy he misses the 19.5 tires he went from a truck with them to a F-Superduty with 16 inch tires. He changes steer tires every 3 months he says this rotten 16 inch tires don't last :laugh:

Getting long mileage out of steer tires on any heavy dually is a joke your lucky to get a year out of them 15,000 to 19,000 miles.

Last thing to leave with you never buy the cheapest tires for your Steering axle. Good tires make or break the handling and control of the truck. Always use a good name brand. I would say the Kumhos would be the lowest grade you would want to use. Hankook makes the same tread patterns. You do want a tread soft enough that it gives you some cushion the 19.5 tires ride pretty rough as it is especially the 225/70R19.5s . Also if the rubber is hard it makes them slippery even on a dry road.

Take a turn too fast the truck keeps going straight because the tires are sliding. The orginal LMT-400s that were on my truck were horrible. You could be making a turn a little over the speed limit and all of a sudden the tires would break traction. Way too un-predictable.

Good Luck with your decision :drinkup:

Thanks for the info! I still have some more research to do. As far as the Kumhos go, a sales rep from kumho was talking to me at local truck accessory shop we take care of and I got a great deal, but that was about 25,000- 30,000 miles ago, so new tires will be in need of pretty soon!

AtoZ
01-28-2009, 11:51 PM
I replaced my first set of tires on my 550 @ 50,000 miles - I will using nothing but Continental HDR & HSR.

Gravel Rat
01-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Keep in mind the new Continental tires are the 14 ply version so you will have a rougher ride where really you only need the the 12 ply tires.

AtoZ
01-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Rougher the better as far as I'm concerned!!!

Gravel Rat
01-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Rougher the ride more road viberations damage your truck.

So on the rear 4 of the 12 ply tires carry 13,660lbs and on the steer axle is 7280lbs so you have in total tire capacity of 20,940lbs that is 3440lbs more than a standard gvw 550.

The 14 ply tires the rear axle 15,000lbs the front axle 7940lbs to give you a total tire capacity of 22,940lbs far far overkill.

I will use the standard 12ply 225/70R19.5 rubber because the side walls are so short. With the 14 ply tires you must run the 100psi or you run the risk of overheating the tire.

The only reason why Ford is using the Continentals as a OEM tire is they are cheaper than most other brands.

You compare a HSR which costs 248 dollars US a G rated Michelin is 331 dollars so 83 dollars more than the Conti.

AtoZ
01-29-2009, 11:29 PM
My Contis usually last about 50-55,000 miles before replacement... How long do yours last?

Gravel Rat
01-30-2009, 12:07 AM
The 19.5 rubber on trucks out here usually only goes 24-30,000kms or 15,000 to 18,000 miles it doesn't matter what brand you buy the Michelins don't last much longer even thou they are the most expensive.

When I bought my 03 F-450 it was 2 years ago the truck had the General tires on it I think they might have been the orginals the drives might have been but the tires were bald at 34,000 miles. The Generals were horrible tires I wouldn't ever buy them even the tire shops say they are junk.

If I got 50,000 miles or 80,000kms out of set of tires it would be a miracle. Getting that kind of mileage out of 19.5 rubber is un-heard of in B.C.

I'am happy to get 18,000 miles out of the steer tires like I said before I used to get less than that with 16 inch tires.

The Bridgestones I had cost me 312 dollars each they didn't last long the Toyos were a little cheaper they seem to be wearing better.

Out here you can't run a hard rubber compound tire there isn't enough grip in wet weather take a corner too fast and your in the ditch.