PDA

View Full Version : Trailer

Ben's Landscape
01-28-2009, 09:37 PM
I am looking for a decent trailer to start off my company!! as of now i have been working out of the bed of my pick up and finally its time to upgrade. I was wondering what a good brand is?? do i stick with the 6x10 or 6x12 size that i was looking at or go to something bigger?? should i buy a open or enclosed??

LKNBigFish
01-28-2009, 09:53 PM
By at least a 12' or 16', get a tandem axle, there better in case of blow outs, have a lot more capacity, and usually have brakes which really save your truck. I prefer open because i am hard on trailers and the enclosed get beat up looking real quick if your rough. just to give you an idea of price, last month I bought a new 6'x16' open tandem axle with brakes for $1350 +tax, etc.

DLAWNS
01-28-2009, 10:23 PM
By at least a 12' or 16', get a tandem axle, there better in case of blow outs, have a lot more capacity, and usually have brakes which really save your truck. I prefer open because i am hard on trailers and the enclosed get beat up looking real quick if your rough. just to give you an idea of price, last month I bought a new 6'x16' open tandem axle with brakes for $1350 +tax, etc.

This sounds like a pretty good start to me.

stevenf
01-28-2009, 10:30 PM
I bought a 5x10 to start with. My next will be a 12ft enclosed at the minimum. If you dont have alot of space to store your equipment, the enclosed trailer will do just that.

paradisescaper
01-28-2009, 10:41 PM
do you need storage? how many accounts do you want? what size crews will you run? commercial or resi?

id say 6x12 will only be enough for 2 man crew 1 ztr 1w/b. if you need the storage by enclosed, if not save the money. if you want 3 or 4 man crews maybe you want 16/20ft for another ztr or stander.

huntlawncare
01-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Check out kaufmantrailers.com they are in nc but they sale all over the US but when the dealers sale them there under a differant name i have a 6.5 x16 that i love they are better built than the most mom and pop places around here

LKNBigFish
01-28-2009, 11:12 PM
their prices look real good.

JHLC
01-29-2009, 12:54 AM
Another question would be do you have a secure place to store your equipment? Maybe a garage or shop? If not, I would go enclosed.

topsites
01-29-2009, 03:36 AM
I wouldn't consider a 10 footer but you'll want to check your state's DOT
specifications concerning GVWR and CDL's before you buy anything bigger
than a 6x12 or more specifically before you get into double axles.
Because your GVWR goes over your state's weight limit and you have to have a
Commercial Driver's License.
Then remember it's not what you plan on towing, it's about the rating!
And it's truck + trailer combined, the GVWR of both.

Then, double axle trailers wear tires faster because there is no differential and in the turns...
Also it's 4 tires instead of 2.
The largest single axle trailer is a 6x12.

MOW ED
01-29-2009, 07:33 AM
I run a 6X14 with 2 3500# axles. I had it custom made back in 1998. My only regret is it doesn't have trailer brakes. I am thinking about adding them because every 2 years I change pads and rotors on my truck. The 14 footer is great for me as it fits well in my garage and it pulls easy. I fit a 62" Toro and a 44" WB on there and still have room for everything I need. Get stake pockets and build you own sides to whatever you need. I would not go smaller than a 12 ever and probably no bigger than a 16. I also use it for mulch jobs. I can get 6 yards of cedar on it without a problem and unload from the side or back. I paid under 800 bucks but that was 10 years ago but he built this thing solid as a rock. Haven't had 1 issue with the trailer or deck. You aren't going to get away from the tire issue on dual axle trailers but its a cost of business for me. Good Luck.

LKNBigFish
01-29-2009, 08:35 AM
I would be surprised if there were many states that require a CDL for small tandem axle trailers. Most boats over 20' come with tandem axle trailers and Uhaul's 6x12 enclosed is tandem axle and they check the laws and your vehicles rating before they hook it up and I've done it in many states without issue. Maybe you can share if you are aware of a state with such strict rules. I do know that some states, depending on the size of trailer and rating of truck, they require brakes on both, one, or none of the axles.

Also, I have never noticed my tandem axle tires wearing faster than my singles, they may but its negligible. I have noticed on my single axle trailers that the tires seem to wear rather fast when the trailer is heavily loaded, which is not as much of an issue when spread over 4 wheels.

Go check out some trailer dealers and while your there ask them about your local laws, my dealer wont sell one that wont be legal.

Yard.Barber
01-29-2009, 08:46 AM
and while checking make sure to tell them what vehicle it is you are using to tow with, this is where the whole problem can start

ALC-GregH
01-29-2009, 09:50 AM
I worked for U-Haul for about 5 years. I installed hitches and everything related. They won't allow you to rent a trailer if your not using the proper towing vehicle. If your towing vehicle is under rated to pull their trailer, they won't rent it to you. It all boils down to liability on their part.

Ben's Landscape
01-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the replys!!! It is very helpfull!! what brands do you use??

LKNBigFish
01-29-2009, 05:21 PM
I use carry-on. They are a good basic trailer and dont cost an arm and a leg. I keep them 2 or 3 years then sell them on craigslist for $100-$200 less than I paid. That way I always have new trailers and never have to replace tires.

melanieb3
01-29-2009, 05:36 PM
We wanted enclosed and didn't really have anything to pull a trailer with as we're just getting started too. So, instead of buying a truck and a trailer which would need to be enclosed anyways, we just got a 16ft box truck.

Sweet Tater
01-29-2009, 08:39 PM

I'd say buy a bit bigger than you think you need, you'll always underestimate the amount of space you need and you can grown into one easythan if you grow out of one

JMLandscaping
01-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Ben since you are a 1 man wonder and will stay that way go with a 5x10 minimum or a 6x12 (since your truck can handle it) An enclosed 6x12 would be good for you because you dont have a big barn/ garage to keep all sorts of equipment.