PDA

View Full Version : Talking Antiques

bicmudpuppy
01-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Ok, Dana's picture made me wonder...........What is the OLDEST controller you have actually worked on / repaired, not jerked and replaced?

I'm thinking mine has to be the 11 station 36volt Buckner controllers from the golf course of my youth.

DanaMac
01-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Ok, Dana's picture made me wonder...........What is the OLDEST controller you have actually worked on / repaired, not jerked and replaced?

I'm thinking mine has to be the 11 station 36volt Buckner controllers from the golf course of my youth.

Only ones I've repaired were the Rainbird RCs. Anything else I yank out and replace.

Mainly a time issue. I'm not going to run around trying to find crap for a crap controller, and then hope it can be ordered. Slap a new one in that day and be done.

bicmudpuppy
01-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Only ones I've repaired were the Rainbird RCs. Anything else I yank out and replace.

Mainly a time issue. I'm not going to run around trying to find crap for a crap controller, and then hope it can be ordered. Slap a new one in that day and be done.

I have "traded" WM mechanicals on many an occasion. They would trade you an old panel for a new one. The RC's, you either had to have a spare on hand or re-build it. I want to say the WM mechanical, after subtracting core charge was less than $60 cost. I couldn't have rebuilt one for that.

Waterit
01-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Toro Freetime, just last year. Jerked it and put in an ESP.

Wet_Boots
01-29-2009, 08:45 AM
I never 'worked' on the oldest controllers, since there wasn't a great parts supply line. You should see some of the repair manuals for the ancients. Even directions for dismantling a slide switch (instead of drilling out the rivets that attached it to the faceplate)

Kiril
01-29-2009, 08:47 AM
This is the oldest in recent memory that I actually have a pic for, however I have seen some real relics over the years.

bicmudpuppy
01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
This is the oldest in recent memory that I actually have a pic for, however I have seen some real relics over the years.

Um, that one isn't THAT old. To bad you can't get parts for it. I've fixed a few of those.

Hey Boots, I didn't have that problem. All the antiques I played with that far back were golf models. We kept 3 full spares on the shelf. If one went bad, I pulled it, replaced it, and THEN fixed the bad one. It got hairy at the end. Had to add a 24 volt transformer for the field wires and change all the solenoids out to 24 volt when they stopped making the 36 volt Rainbird solenoids. We converted one timer at a time, then used the salvaged 36 volt solenoids on the other sections until we ran out and had to do it again.

Wet_Boots
01-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I missed out on ever seeing the 36 volt solenoids. Wonder how those came to be.

Peering back into those days of yesteryear, I do remember doing some timing adjustments on an Imperial cam-drive controller. Those were even older than the Valet controllers, and a hell of a lot more dangerous, since exposed 120 VAC buss bars were within easy reach of the hands adjusting the timing cams.

Kiril
01-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Um, that one isn't THAT old. To bad you can't get parts for it. I've fixed a few of those.

Yup, the mode switch has gone bad, which isn't that big of a deal. Still functions since it broke in the automatic position. Don't know when the system was installed. I love the exposed dip switches. :laugh:

Wet_Boots
01-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Yup, the mode switch has gone bad, which isn't that big of a deal. Still functions since it broke in the automatic position. Don't know when the system was installed. I love the exposed dip switches. :laugh:Switches that worked on logic circuits were expensive, being made with gold, so dip switches were used in early controllers. Switch costs are why you have controller designs with one dial and a bunch of pushbuttons.

ARGOS
02-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Gee hydraulic controller. One dial is bakelite and the owner thinks the other dial was changed, I agree. I took these photos today.

The heads say H L Gee MFG Co. Beverly Hills. There is a stuck valve. I haven't worked on it yet.

Wet_Boots
02-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Neato! Not sure I ever encountered hydraulic other than Toro's.

Waterit
02-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Beverly Hills? Surprised they're not covered in rhinestones and glitter.

Wet_Boots
02-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Looks like a heck of a repair job when the clock and/or valves give out payup

Mike Leary
02-12-2009, 09:14 AM
There is a stuck valve. I haven't worked on it yet.

Nice shoe shot! Looks like the system was pretty spiffy in its day.

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 08:08 PM
I gotta 12 pack of MGD. You wanna trade for that sweet a$$ contoller

EagleLandscape
02-12-2009, 09:01 PM
cool shoe.........

rlpsystems
02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
cool shoe.........

Sorry to offend you John.

bicmudpuppy
02-12-2009, 09:57 PM
They say the mind is the first thing to go..........WHAT brand are those valves???? Looks familiar and that is SCARY. I don't think I've ever seen a hydraulic system that was manifolded like that. It should make your life easier. To bad your not going to find repair parts. Those look very serviceable. I think I would put a century globe angle back in. I think you can even get a hydraulic option instead of using a converter solenoid on them. Normally open? or are those vent lines? and normally closed?

ARGOS
02-12-2009, 10:41 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a hydraulic system that was manifolded like that. It should make your life easier. To bad your not going to find repair parts. Those look very serviceable. I think I would put a century globe angle back in. I think you can even get a hydraulic option instead of using a converter solenoid on them. Normally open? or are those vent lines? and normally closed?

Parts? The guy that owns the home "fabricates" the parts. He is a wizard. He refurbishes old cars for a living. Right now he is refurbishing a 1909 Rolls Royce. I mean assembles these cars up bolt by bolt. Some of the cars he has worked on sell for over 2 mil.

Normally open lines. Your ahead of me on this, good question.

I wear a size 9. The shoe is for reference.

bicmudpuppy
02-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Making rubber diaphragms ain't like milling metal parts. Not saying it can't be done, but...........yeah. If he will pay you to disassemble and reassemble "his" parts, go for it, but take some pictures! I didn't look, but check the irritrol century series globe angles. I still think you can get them either w/ a hydraulic adapter or as a hydraulic valve.

ARGOS
02-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Making rubber diaphragms ain't like milling metal parts. Not saying it can't be done, but...........yeah. If he will pay you to disassemble and reassemble "his" parts, go for it, but take some pictures! I didn't look, but check the irritrol century series globe angles. I still think you can get them either w/ a hydraulic adapter or as a hydraulic valve.

I haven't had it apart, but he said there are no rubber parts.

His assistant said that the 1909 Rolls has no rubber seals either. I think they said the seals are bronze?

TRILAWNCARE
02-13-2009, 10:33 AM
I haven't had it apart, but he said there are no rubber parts.

His assistant said that the 1909 Rolls has no rubber seals either. I think they said the seals are bronze?

I'm just wondering if this guy knows so much about the system and can make his own parts to fix it. Can take a Rolls apart bolt by bolt, and put it back together.

Why is he asking you to fix it??????

Mike Leary
02-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Why is he asking you to fix it??????

He likes clown cars in his driveway.