PDA

View Full Version : NY DEC Pest-Report due on 2/1 for 2008

Whitey4
01-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Calling fellow NYS applicators!

Well, this being my first year, I finally got my annual report off to the DEC this week. Now, if only I could read directions... I was calculating the AI applied until I had to list my 3-way weed apps. A phone call later, I had to re-do my pre-M's etc to just include the amount of product applied.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, 5 pages. My question is can I now expect an audit? Is this handled the same way the IRS decides to audit filers? Is it random or do they look for red flags?

If you have been audited, how bad was it? Was it the Spanish inquisition or were they just looking to make sure you had your act together? I think I have my ducks lined up, but is there anything in particular I should pay more attention to? Do they ask for you to retrieve your files, or do they try to dig into your cabinet on their own? What are my chances of being selected for an audit?

I suppose I am fretting over something I shouldn't.... I have all my contracts, my MSDS', my legal labels, my Neighborhood Notification form letters, and my daily apps log. Not every app on my caontracts was actually applied, do they question you on things like this? I have for instance, ProSect listed IN CASE I run into a chinch bug problem, but only actually applied it 3 times, not 25. Same for grub controls.

Any heads up info appreciated!

turf hokie
01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Oh they say it is random but it seems that most people get inspected about 3 months after the first report is filed. They "like to get you before you become set in your bad ways"

They will check contracts right down to the font size. They will look at your daily logs and then ask you to tell how many sq ft you applied based on your AI of product used. They will ask for the last app you made and want to see your daily log to verify and then check that customers contract. They will ask you to randomly pull a customer and then want to see the dates that you made applications on that property. They wont go thru your files but will make you do so.

If you have storage they may want to see it. They may want to see your vehicles to verify signage.

If you walk away without a fine you done good. They got me for $1500 with $1000 suspended if I "stayed clean" for 3 years. I think they just wanted to justify the expense of having someone spend 1/2 a day with me.

I am sure I just got you all worked up, I had fun:laugh:

You seem to much more anal and have your stuff much more organized than I did when I first started. We were on a wing and a prayer when I started part time and we got thru pretty good. They did nit pick a few things, but all the major stuff was in line so if I could do it when I first started I am sure you will be fine. Dont lose sleep over it.:waving:

Whitey4
01-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Oh they say it is random but it seems that most people get inspected about 3 months after the first report is filed. They "like to get you before you become set in your bad ways"

They will check contracts right down to the font size. They will look at your daily logs and then ask you to tell how many sq ft you applied based on your AI of product used. They will ask for the last app you made and want to see your daily log to verify and then check that customers contract. They will ask you to randomly pull a customer and then want to see the dates that you made applications on that property. They wont go thru your files but will make you do so.

If you have storage they may want to see it. They may want to see your vehicles to verify signage.

If you walk away without a fine you done good. They got me for $1500 with $1000 suspended if I "stayed clean" for 3 years. I think they just wanted to justify the expense of having someone spend 1/2 a day with me.

I am sure I just got you all worked up, I had fun:laugh:

You seem to much more anal and have your stuff much more organized than I did when I first started. We were on a wing and a prayer when I started part time and we got thru pretty good. They did nit pick a few things, but all the major stuff was in line so if I could do it when I first started I am sure you will be fine. Dont lose sleep over it.:waving:

I just pooped my pants. Thanks for the heads up on what they will look for. Good thing I reported EVERY app I did this year. :waving: Yeah, right.

Most of my contracts include hand written stuff, but I was sure to write the crap down large enough, or so I hope. I know all the type written stuff is large enough. The blown up labels were the biggest pita, but I have those.

I guess I have a few more weeks to make sure it's all up to snuff. Thanks Hokie.

turf hokie
01-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Every applicator reports everything.....just like us.

My wife is ready to kill me. She has input over 5000 applications and just hit October. I told her it was almost over, only 4 weeks more of applications to input, she about threw me out of the office. (she didnt like it when I said "I told you to do it weekly") We will email it tomorrow afternoon.

It seems as long as you are trying to do the right thing and not be blatant and stupid with your paperwork and apps then you will do fine.

I still disagree with you about the whole label thing. I think you are going beyond what they require. I just print them off greenbook or google them and whatever the font is the font is. I also dont give them out unless requested but have them in the trucks in case.

Not to get you worked up but I would expect a visit right as you start your season in March/April that is what they did to me.

Give me a call and we can exchange info. and maybe we can catch up next time I am visiting family on the island. (845) 735-2331 office

Bryan

Whitey4
01-30-2009, 08:06 AM
I'd like to take you up on that... call me when you will be in the area.

As far as the blown up labels go... it's what the NSLGA told me. They will give me 5 free "legal labels" as a memeber of the association. I've gotten to where it only takes me a few minutes to make them with my scanner/printer setup. I figure better safe than sorry.

5000 apps!?! I'll never get that big. Do they call you the day before, or do they just knock on the front door?

I know my contract is good... I used the template the NSLGA gave me and made they type face even larger. One thing I cannot afford right now are any fines!

turf hokie
01-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Yes, they will generally give you 24 hours notice. The only time they will give you less or just show up is if they have recieved a credible complaint against you.

The 5000 entries is a bit misleading when you consider sometimes we apply multiple items at one stop. Merit, broadleaf spray, crabgrass, nutsedge. There is 4 entries right there.

treeman574
02-02-2009, 01:13 PM
you can get the labels right off line no big deal and print your original set off in color. most of the inspectors here in region 3 will be a lot easier on you so ive been told if you call them and request a courtey inspection. we were told that 99.9% of the time they will point out what is wrong so you can fix it with out the fine. they know you are trying to be proactive so they are willing to work with you. hope this helps.