PDA

View Full Version : Need help with weed problem.

abadiet
01-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey all, so i need some help. I got a call on wed to come out and do a bid on a condo property lady seemed really cool and everything was going great until she showed me the back of the property. A large portion of her turf is covered in a bunch of diffrent weeds. She said she had just had put in and it had already grown weeds. Basically she asked if thier was something we could do to manage the weed growth and evetually get her grass looking good. Usally this isnt a problem becuase we subcontract all that type of work to my uncle. But he of course he is in god knows where hunting god knows what on vacation and we cant get a hold of him. So what do i tell this lady as far as a plan to get her property looking good again???? the grass I believe is St augustine and i have included pictures of the weeds. Thanks in advance..

abadiet
01-29-2009, 01:59 PM
bumpity bump, bump.

ted putnam
01-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Your uncle should have no problem controlling these weeds with an app of BWC and a pre-emerg. Not sure what the first one is, the second is dollarweed and the 3rd looks like crabgrass that has been through a little cold snap. I've never been able to control crabgrass post emergently in St. Aug. I've heard there is a way but I think it is an "ancient chinese secret" that is known by few and will not be divulged. If your uncle knows his ****@, he should have no problem whipping her yard into shape. Hope this helps.

abadiet
01-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Im sure he'd have no problem but the proposal is due friday and i want to be able to tell her whats going to be done. if thiers one thing i hate its not having an answer espicially to a possible customer. Thanks though apprectiate the help.

ted putnam
01-29-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm sure your uncle has a program that he uses(probably every 6-8 wks)fert, weed controls etc... What he charges is anybody's guess. I'm sure it's based on sq ft treated. Other than that, from the pics, I don't see where he'd have something he can't handle.

abadiet
01-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Im sure he'd have no problem but the proposal is due friday and i want to be able to tell her whats going to be done. if thiers one thing i hate its not having an answer espicially to a possible customer. Thanks though apprectiate the help.

mngrassguy
01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Look up a local Licensed Pesticide Applicator or an LCO and ask for an estimate. Give him the work if you get the job.

abadiet
01-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks grass guy, although like i said getting the work done isnt my dilema we have a liscensed applicator in my family i just want to be able to tell the possible client whats going to happen. Cant reach my uncle cause he is probably passed out in a tree stand somewhere. By the time the HOA kicks around the proposal get other bids all that hoop-la he'll be home. Not to mention he'll kick my ass if we give it to someone else :hammerhead:

RAlmaroad
01-29-2009, 02:54 PM
The first photo has what we call "Chickweed" and the second is dollar weed: I'm not sure if that is crabgrass; looks a lot like a clump of fescue; however dollarweed is easily managed with "Image". Make sure that the grass is actively growing; otherwise you will kill it. A good pre-em for the crabgrass is your best line of defense however there is a chemical that is illegal to use on residential lawns so I can't give you that information. Atrazine 4L at .75/K is all that Florida will allow but you can give it a try.

mngrassguy
01-29-2009, 03:27 PM
I sit in a tree stand all the time. Shot 2 deer this year, 1 with a gun and 1 with a bow. I still had time to return my phone calls. I'd be lookin' to kick someones ***. I bet if you spread the work out a little it my light a fire under someone's "you know what".

RAlmaroad
01-29-2009, 07:02 PM
I sit in a tree stand all the time. Shot 2 deer this year, 1 with a gun and 1 with a bow. I still had time to return my phone calls. I'd be lookin' to kick someones ***. I bet if you spread the work out a little it my light a fire under someone's "you know what".

:dizzy: Excuse me, but how does this fit in with the weeds?

david shumaker
01-29-2009, 08:21 PM
I don't go into alot of detail when I do weed control for my customers. I just tell them I will spray in the spring when the weeds are young and actively growing and then again early fall when new weeds have germinated and are young.

I don't go into brand of herbicides used, etc. unless they ask specific questions.

My program for those that want it is:

1. Early spring: spray for weeds

2. Spot spray weeds during summer

3. Fall: Fertilize and spray for weeds again

Some customers also want aeration and overseeding in the late summer.

I don't have any that want nitrogen in the spring.

*trucewhiteflag*Some of my customers don't care if they have alot of weeds.

JDUtah
01-29-2009, 08:23 PM
:dizzy: Excuse me, but how does this fit in with the weeds?

it does... competition is his uncles motivation to be available. MIght take the guys problem away.

As far as what will be done... tell them a spring pre-emergent that will keep new weed seeds from germinating. Then a few blanket applications of selective herbicide every 6 weeks after that to knock out the weeds that are already sprouted. And good balanced fertilizer every service to get the SA to fill in nicely. That is all you need to tell them.