PDA

View Full Version : How many have.....

worx
01-29-2009, 05:46 PM
tried radio marketing? I would like to change my marketing strategy for this year. I need to try something and radio seems to be the answer,........anyone have experience with this?

TXNSLighting
01-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Ive thought about this to, but talked myself out of it. You have a very slim target market. and the chances of finding your target client on the radio is very slim. But thats just me. It could be a gold mine maybe. I Dont know what rich people listen to on the radio, ha!

klkanders
01-29-2009, 06:59 PM
I believe we are trying to sell a visual product so getting attention on the radio would be tough. Whats the saying " A picture is worth a thousand words " Even if they were able to visualize a picture is that enough? Most people do not appreciate soft, subtle outdoor lighting until they see it in person.
I still believe referrals, word of mouth, networking with like trades along with yard and vehicle signs to be the best advertising for the buck. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket. :)

Keith

worx
01-29-2009, 09:49 PM
No money burnin holes here, but I feel I should try something different. I realize each market may react differently to the same advertisement. There are many variations with each piece of marketing that will affect the outcome, such as the picture on the card, the quality of the card, the wording, etc etc. My ROI for cards is not stellar.......is the economy, is it my cards,or is it the way my market reacts to cards?

What are the options? Cards, magazines, TV, radio..... I realize networking and word of mouth are key ingredients for any business. When starting a business, I feel the need to generate enough business through marketing, then allow "word of mouth" to take its course. As many of you know trying to start in this economy can be demoralizing. I'm not complaining just wanting to make sure I don't fall into a rut when there could be other options.
Yes what we do is visual, so we may need to think "out of the box" to promote ourselves through a non visual media.

Just doin alittle thinkin out loud....

Chris J
01-29-2009, 10:08 PM
tried radio marketing? I would like to change my marketing strategy for this year. I need to try something and radio seems to be the answer,........anyone have experience with this?

I'm doing a radio ad right now to the tune of 2k per week. It's a hard thing to swallow, and I'll let you know how it goes, but my gut tells me I'm wasting money due to the current economic state. FYI, this radio station is the "business" channel with the top guns like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Neal Bortz, etc. It's no half ass station with sports and stuff. A lot of people are tuning in right now due to our new "leadership" and the upcoming disaster. I'll let it run for a couple of months to see what happens.
In the past, however, radio has not been good for me. Then again, I've not been on this station. I guess it all depends on listenership and the demographic.

worx
01-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Chris I sent a PM....

Mark B
01-29-2009, 10:55 PM
I tired radio as well, but with a different business. We was not impressed. Very expensive as well. I think having your truck wrapped would be great. And find a place you can set out for the weekend, like in a shopping center. ask first if you do that. To make sure they will not tow your truck. I have thought up a good idea. Take a long bed truck. and make a sign git in the middle of the bed with company logo and info on it. I"m talking about at least 4x8 plywood or bigger with all the company stuff on it. And park it on the weekends in shopping centers. My redneck .02

klkanders
01-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Hey Steve, I hope I didn't come across as being to negative about your idea. It could work what do i know. With times being tough and you starting out like me I was just putting (I believe) the most cost effective options out there. If money is tight like I know it is for me I know I could not justify gambling that way. Its been said here before but you might be better off taking that money and buying some lunches for some LA's, developers, builders and landscapers. It might go alot further.

Good Luck what ever you decide. Keep us posted please.

Keith

NightLightingFX
01-29-2009, 11:56 PM
I am on Keith's side,
Focus on professionals you can network with, put all your resources there. I won't happen over night but it is a more proven ROI than rolling the dice on something else. I am tired of pissing money away. I am taking the philosophy that industry professionals are my most important clients. I am going to schmooze the hell out of them this year.
~Ned

TXNSLighting
01-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Thats a good idea, spend advertising budget on networking with pool builders, landscapers architects, builders, theres a great idea! I think i will start working on that! I need to get stuff going, im bored!

Mike M
01-30-2009, 03:51 AM
I'm with Ned and others on the networking.

No mass media budget, for me. The good thing about networking is that you can do it with time and effort, and no need to pay a middle guy for advertising services. Just hit the street.

If I had the money, I'd sink it in a builder show, plus keep my name on post cards, maybe spread out the mailings over time, plus go tighter on the upper most income/homes.

I'm in survival mode now, playing defense so I can keep the phone number active and keep my logo afloat. When things turn around, I want to be in the market.

Radio? Is there a station that has just upscale demographics? Why consider cost-per-thousand-rates when only one in a thousand may be qualified? If anything, I would look at a sponsorship on public radio, "supporting the arts." That kind of branding would be cool. But expensive.

worx
01-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Kieth I perceive no negativity, just wanting to be thorough with the subject before shooting it down. Lets examine the L.A.'s for a minute.....How do you initially approach (phone, email, letter) What do you provide (business info.,portfolio, references) How do you persuade them to use you versus a landscape company that provides "all in one" services. I realize most "all in one" do not provide the service and attention to detail as a specific lighting designer. I guess this is where your "salesmanship" comes into play.....
Thanks for the replies fella's, keep postin your thoughts.

NightLightingFX
01-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey, I am in survival mode too. But if you think about it, even if you have money burning a hole through your pocket. Why spend it on something that won't give you the biggest bang for your buck. Time for me to get in bed with some Architects, Interior Designers, Pool Guys, Landscapers, Homebuilders, who else am I missing?

This is where the hard work is. Most of these guys are busy (maybe not now?) and don't understand the value of quality outdoor lighting, and just blow you off. This is where your sales expertise needs to come in. If you can sell these guys on your talents it is a piece of cake to get the home owner on board. As far as selling to these guys this is were persistants, good pics of your work, and sales expertise comes into play. This is only my oppinion, but it has worked for a collegue of mine in Washington DC.
~Ned

NightLightingFX
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Kieth I perceive no negativity, just wanting to be thorough with the subject before shooting it down. Lets examine the L.A.'s for a minute.....How do you initially approach (phone, email, letter) What do you provide (business info.,portfolio, references) How do you persuade them to use you versus a landscape company that provides "all in one" services. I realize most "all in one" do not provide the service and attention to detail as a specific lighting designer. I guess this is where your "salesmanship" comes into play.....
Thanks for the replies fella's, keep postin your thoughts.

The best way to approach them - What works best for you. Start with the easiest first. Don't make it more difficult than it is. Call and set-up an appointment. You can send letters first or what ever - I personally think that is more work that isn't worth the effort. I think the simplest and easist thing to do is JUST DO IT. Don't over think it. Call them or see them in person but do it NOW. Then go from there. The most important thing is to actually DO IT and not put it off for tommorrow.

I think the best marketing peice is a good website. When you contact these professionals tell them to go to your website to see pics of your work.

From there you experiment and find out what works for you. I have tried some nice brochures with quality pics on it. It wasn't too expensive, but still it cost money and I wonder if it is worth the ROI. Lets face it people grab a brochure they look at it and throw it away. I think my business card can do the same thing as a brochure???

To maximize my money on marketing I think what I am going to do is make sure my business card looks nice - have examples of my work on my card - my mini billboard. Have my card direct them to my website. I am going to continue to trick out my website as I grow, get more pics, come up with more marketing ideas, and etc.

Another marketing campain I am doing for professionals I want to network with is I am creating an E-mail Seasonal Newsletter. This is a great opportunity to keep in contact with professionals, to show them pics of my work, and to drive them to my website.
~Ned

klkanders
01-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Wow Ned!
Great info. I especially like the idea of your e-mail list. Its kinda like hitting them repeatedly with postcards but better. This way you know those who are getting them are your target audience and even better yet its way cheaper!

Stay out of the beds Ned! I don't wanna see you on the national news. Too much of that going on already. :)

Keith

NightLightingFX
01-30-2009, 03:21 PM
WAY CHEAPER! $15 for 500 names. The Home Show season is coming up. Start working on your newsletter now. At the home show get a bunch of names /e-mail addresses of people interested in your work to send your e-mail newsletter to. They will even forward your e-mails to friends and etc. This is a much more targeted approach than mass snail mail. I personally hate post cards.
~Ned