PDA

View Full Version : I found a diesel

South Florida Lawns
01-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Today I went to my friends house to look at his neighbors truck. It was an 01 Dodge 2500 SLT Laramie 4x4 diesel, extended cab long bed and auto. Now don't flip here it has 240,000 miles on it, but it was mint in and out. A little rust on some stuff under the engine. The guy said the tranny was rebuilt at 140k. It was a plow truck and has a goose neck hitch. I could tell its been worked hard but no frame rust and interior was perfect just dirty. It has a banks exhaust and chip, also a fuel booster and gauge. Best part is that its $5000. The guy said he's ready to lower it to $4500. I didn't test drive it cuz it was raining but my friend told me to come back with 4k cash.

Oh don't tell me to buy a Chevy or Ford I don't care what you have and what works for you, I have narrowed it down to older Dodges for a work truck. I'll take a chance with the auto, maybe even with this truck.

AtoZ
01-30-2009, 12:40 AM
I love Dodge's. Can't wait to get another one... Take her for a spin - if you like it - give em $4,000. Can't really go wrong on that deal... I've got a buddy trying to sell his '01 with 95,000 miles, auto, Reg cab for $10,000 - still no offers in 3 months. I'd get it but I don't do regular cabs...

I'd say go for it!!!

South Florida Lawns
01-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Its got miles on it but the diesels don't break in till 70k.

Even Cut Lawn Care
01-30-2009, 02:01 AM
Go for it man!

Dirt Digger2
01-30-2009, 02:55 AM
go for it....have fun, diesels are great...especially those older dodges...straight pipe that b!tch and it will sound like a million bucks...mine does

those dueller A/T's are great tires too

WH401
01-30-2009, 07:41 AM
The rust under the engine, do you mean how the exhaust manifold looked?, if so then that's normal for that high of mileage, no worries there. What does he have in the way of a "chip" on it? You say he has gauge's but has he been monitoring the trans temp?, if not he could have already cooked the rebuild. Has he ever replaced the VP44 or the lift pump?, I would be surprised if at least one of those thing's hasn't been replaced. From the look's of it, it look's like a truck that's in nice shape for it's mileage. Definitely take it for a test drive though, see how the front end feel's being as it's a plow truck. At 4k or 4.5k it's definitely a good deal.

genesis215
01-30-2009, 09:14 AM
$4500 is a GREAT deal on an '01 Cummins. It's hard to find a Cummins diesel in an '89 for 4k. You've got a STEAL OF A DEAL. Those '98-'01 24-valve Cummins got the best mileage the Cummins ever got. If you keep the oil changed (dont EVER let it get black!), then it will probably go another 750k. It's only about 1/4 done with it's lifespan (since you live in the south the truck shouldn't fall apart, and you can keep it a long time). One word of warning, chips will absolutely shred the automatic transmissions on those (I know LOTS of people who have done this so please take this seriously), so NEVER put it on any setting except the fuel economy setting. Many people I know have destroyed their Dodge transmission when mated with a Cummins because of putting a horsepower/performance-increasing chip in. Also, you will need to change the transmission fluid and filter every 6 months to keep it going strong. I think if you do these things it should work out well for you.

KrayzKajun
01-30-2009, 09:18 AM
give him 4k and spin the tires out of there!!

TXNSLighting
01-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Fantastic deal there! jump all over that!

MileHigh
01-30-2009, 01:08 PM
You know the Cummins is good...The truck looks great in the picture.

If the trucks inside and underneath isn't beat to hell, and it drives nice and straight and no noises...

I'd be Cummin all over the place.:drinkup:

South Florida Lawns
01-30-2009, 03:28 PM
damn thing sold today for $4300.

capnsac
01-30-2009, 04:01 PM
sorry fella, that sucks. I'll bet you were ready to pull the trigger too.

Lakewlc
01-30-2009, 04:50 PM
wow that really sucks

TXNSLighting
01-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Gosh! Thatll teach ya, when you find deals that are awesome deals, jump on em then!

nosparkplugs
01-30-2009, 07:02 PM
damn thing sold today for $4300.

YOU MUST HAVE THE MONEY IN HAND with these trucks:hammerhead: Don't sweat it their will be another one. I would be nice if you could find one with no gooseneck hitch, no programmer, that way you know it has not been worked real hard. Even with 250,000 miles it looked in good shape. Be ready to buy before you go to look.

Gravel Rat
01-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Find something with lower miles that truck had 3 things against it one it had a gooseneck hitch who knows it may never have pulled a heavy load it may not two it had a plow more abuse and three the truck has high mileage.

Was there any proof the transmission was redone what about the rest of the driveline.

If you want a diesel truck buy one from a old retired person that uses the truck to pull a RV or carry thier camper. One the truck usually isn't driven hard and two the maintenance is usually done regulary. Buy something that will last you say 6-7 years or more. If you are using it as your primary business truck you don't want something that is going to nickle and dime you to death.

Keep searching you will find a good truck but you do need to have your financing in order first. So if you find something you can go to the bank the loan is already approved for a X amount of money and go for it. Can't go shopping if you don't have the money.

South Florida Lawns
01-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. It sold fast cuz my friend that I went with knew I couldn't get the cash in time, he called all his friends and one actually bought it today. I was like you dick lol its all good tho I just hope the tranny dies on him. My friend wated to buy it then sell it to me for 5k.

I know that the plow mount and gooseneck was a bad sign, but the price was good. The hitch was cool it was a pop up and you could run a 5th wheel with it. The plow mount was turned into a tow bar mount for behind a motor home, those were the strange things about it.

It had rust on the door that we didn't see and the dash was all cracked that was hidden by a hat.

Gravel Rat
01-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Like they say some things where not meant to be. Don't be in a hurry to buy because everytime it backfires and you buy something your not happy with.

South Florida Lawns
01-30-2009, 08:55 PM
That was the conversation of the night yesterday between my friend and his wife. She was getting on him about his fast buys and how he lost money on a tug boat that he bought and sold for way less then original price.

nosparkplugs
01-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. It sold fast cuz my friend that I went with knew I couldn't get the cash in time, he called all his friends and one actually bought it today. I was like you dick lol its all good tho I just hope the tranny dies on him. My friend wated to buy it then sell it to me for 5k.

I know that the plow mount and gooseneck was a bad sign, but the price was good. The hitch was cool it was a pop up and you could run a 5th wheel with it. The plow mount was turned into a tow bar mount for behind a motor home, those were the strange things about it.

It had rust on the door that we didn't see and the dash was all cracked that was hidden by a hat.

Unless you have a goosneck trailer the hitch is a waste 100% of the time. You can install a gooseneck hitch anytime. Like GR said you need to find some old grandpa that has a Cummins towed a 5th wheel once in a while & has babied it to death:laugh:

With Stringent EPA diesel emission:dizzy: these pre-emission diesels are sought after now, the Dodge dealer said their selling used diesels like crazy, that would apply to Ford or GM too I bet:waving: keep hunting pay better attention to the dash's & for rust

nnj18
01-30-2009, 09:12 PM
That was the conversation of the night yesterday between my friend and his wife. She was getting on him about his fast buys and how he lost money on a tug boat that he bought and sold for way less then original price.

lmao that must of been fun to watch!! lol I havent lost a red cent on anything I've bought lol

South Florida Lawns
01-30-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm trying to get the guy that just bought the red dodge to sell me his mint 89 1 Ton dually. Its 12v manual extended cab with 58,000 miles. 2wd and its been in his family its whole life. I have not seen it yet but I hear its had an easy life.

nosparkplugs
01-30-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm trying to get the guy that just bought the red dodge to sell me his mint 89 1 Ton dually. Its 12v manual extended cab with 58,000 miles. 2wd and its been in his family its whole life. I have not seen it yet but I hear its had an easy life.

Do you have the money to buy it:laugh:

South Florida Lawns
01-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Lol yeah but its tied up in other things I need to get a small personal loan from my bank, then pay it off once I sell my Silverado.

Gravel Rat
01-30-2009, 10:59 PM
The 89 dually sounds like a better deal. The 89 won't have the big power but will have the fuel economy. Buy some chrome wheels with spinners install a lowering kit :laugh:

South Florida Lawns
01-31-2009, 01:22 AM
thanks gravel rat, but I think I'll keep this one a work truck lol. I grew out of the fancy wheel's thing. maybe get some nice 19.5's down the road to give it a tougher look.

4.3mudder
01-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Those older Cummins are the S%*. If you wana look like a kid, you can put some stacks in the back, there are a few around here that have them. Man, wish I could have put one in my yota.......

coobie
01-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Buy it.:)coobie

JMLandscaping
01-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Is that the original tranny?? If so that says the owner baby's it. Personally I would never buy a dodge auto, actually I probably wouldnt buy anything auto unless it was a good deal. My buddy has the same truck, its got strait pipe out the side and sounds like a road tractor!

nosparkplugs
02-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Is that the original tranny?? If so that says the owner baby's it. Personally I would never buy a dodge auto, actually I probably wouldnt buy anything auto unless it was a good deal. My buddy has the same truck, its got strait pipe out the side and sounds like a road tractor!

The 47/48RE has gotten a bad rap over the years, Once you rebuild the 47/48RE heavy duty their bulletproof. Have you not heard the Cummins is the million mile diesel that tears everything up behind it. My Personal experience has been great with Dodge trucks, and the A518/618 transmission's have taken far more abuse for a longer time than any Ford or GM diesel transmission I have owned. A Dodge has never left me stranded ever, I cannot say that about Ford or GM.

It's very hard to find a Manual 1st or 2nd generation Cummins now, I have seen the best looking Dodge Cummins on E-Bay, and the most manuals for sale on E-bay.

TXNSLighting
02-01-2009, 12:29 AM
The 47/48RE has gotten a bad rap over the years, Once you rebuild the 47/48RE heavy duty their bulletproof. Have you not heard the Cummins is the million mile diesel that tears everything up behind it. My Personal experience has been great with Dodge trucks, and the A518/618 transmission's have taken far more abuse for a longer time than any Ford or GM diesel transmission I have owned. A Dodge has never left me stranded ever, I cannot say that about Ford or GM.

It's very hard to find a Manual 1st or 2nd generation Cummins now, I have seen the best looking Dodge Cummins on E-Bay, and the most manuals for sale on E-bay.

Its funny, i can say a ford and Gm has never left me stranded, but a dodge has! HA! just messin with ya. dont get defensive :laugh:

nosparkplugs
02-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Its funny, i can say a ford and Gm has never left me stranded, but a dodge has! HA! just messin with ya. dont get defensive :laugh:

No matter the brand we all have to payup some times

TXNSLighting
02-01-2009, 01:24 AM
No matter the brand we all have to payup some times

thats right!

Dirt Digger2
02-01-2009, 01:24 AM
its all luck....i know guys that have their fords sh!t on them...i know guys that have their chevies sh!t on them...i know guys that never had their dodges sh!t on them

HAHAHA