PDA

View Full Version : Ride on sprayers?

meets1
01-30-2009, 10:00 AM
I have had PG machines in the past and this year we are due for a new machine. Things have changed alot over the last 3-5 yrs. There are a few companies out there offering these machines. PG Turfco Z spray. For those that have used these - which one?

I am running smallest 5K to doing a 3-4 acre complex. So I used the PG - most versiable for me but just wondering what you guys thought that have used these other machines.

turfsolutions
01-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Z spray for me

Although there are many reasons for going with the z spray including breakaway boom, 50ft hose reel, large tank, hydraulic spreader, 15hp engine etc... but the biggest reason for me is still the Z. Zero turn that is. When you are doing small properties along with the big ones, you need to be able to get into all the nooks withouts switching gears from forward to reverse. Anything without a zero turn is a step back in my opinion. I couldn't imagine treating small closed properties without a zero turn. I am sure this is just the start of a long debate but to me the z spray is still the undesputed heavyweight champion of the world.

br549oicu8
01-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Z-SPRAY, the only choice.

SpreadNSpray
01-30-2009, 10:29 AM
What model Permagreen do you have? How are you transporting it? The Magnum will fit on the back of the truck using the same carrier rack as the Ultra.

The Permagreen Magnum has many improvements over the Centri and Ultra.

grassman177
01-30-2009, 11:35 AM
zspray, we feel it is the only FULL featured unit out there. you need zero turn as mentioned above to really get those tight areas with ease. if you call them, they will guide you to the rightmachine for your needs and have much expereince in doing so, Andy at Lt rich(zspray) is also an applicator so i would ask for him.

FdLLawnMan
01-30-2009, 11:50 AM
IMO I would try and drive as many as possible. I myself have a T3000 and am very happy with it and do not feel I need the Zero turn at all. The T3000 is easily maneuverable enough to get into small properties. Each person is going to swear what they have is the best.

daveyo
01-30-2009, 12:06 PM
I just demoed the Z-spray 10 minutes ago, Willie met with me and went over the entire machine and I test drove it of course. I'll be ordering mine on Monday with a little extra hose. I can easily see this machine meeting all of my needs.

Real Green
01-30-2009, 12:21 PM
I just demoed the Z-spray 10 minutes ago, Willie met with me and went over the entire machine and I test drove it of course. I'll be ordering mine on Monday with a little extra hose. I can easily see this machine meeting all of my needs.

Willie Pitts is a class act, great guy. I am glad he took care of you. I have even purchased a Z-plugger from him. I sent you a PM a while back offering you the chance to DEMO my T3000 and never heard back from you. Either way, it's great that you found a machine to fit your needs.

I am with Mike, you should try to demo as many units as possible. We have had a great experience running our Turfco T-3000 over the last year and highly recommend trying one out. It is very easy to transport from job site to job site with a carrier rack and we love the ground lock control.

daveyo
01-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Willie Pitts is a class act, great guy. I am glad he took care of you. I have even purchased a Z-plugger from him. I sent you a PM a while back offering you the chance to DEMO my T3000 and never heard back from you. Either way, it's great that you found a machine to fit your needs.

I am with Mike, you should try to demo as many units as possible. We have had a great experience running our Turfco T-3000 over the last year and highly recommend trying one out. It is very easy to transport from job site to job site with a carrier rack and we love the ground lock control.

I did get that PM and appreciate that, I went with the z-spray because it seemed the Z would fit my needs a bit better, I'm sure you produce a fine product though.

thanks,
David

jimjohn1
01-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Ok Guys! I am need of a new sprayer for lawns. Should I go with the z spray or should I go with a 200 gal sprayer like the Lesco low profile?

br549oicu8
01-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Ok Guys! I am need of a new sprayer for lawns. Should I go with the z spray or should I go with a 200 gal sprayer like the Lesco low profile?

I suggest you read the threads!! The unit of choice is clearly spelled out.
Get the Z....

daveyo
01-30-2009, 02:53 PM

No way would I get a tank, but thats me. Guys will do 3 times the amount of work in a z than you do with a tank, now thats money in your pocket.

americanlawn
01-30-2009, 07:24 PM
We run "PT Boats" instead of "Battleships". Reason being, our PT Boats are just as deadly and much faster/more efficient than Battleships in every situation.

We thoroughly evaluated all the 'major' brands of ride-ons over the past year & and half, and we came up with eight major reasons why we chose what we did, but I now have compiled a much larger list since then. We visited the manufacturing facilities of 3 of these companies & spent much time driving all of them -- on their sites, as well as locally. BTW all of them are good outfits and have very fine folks.

We looked at: 1) at least a two-year warranty, 2) didn't want to purchase, license & pull a trailer just to be able to use it, 3) wanted a unit that could fit through small gates yet could also treat a 20 acre property in one day when needed.....this eliminates running two separate routes in the same area with two different machines, 4) we did not want to have to drive a large truck that gets bad fuel mileage just to haul the thing, 4) we wanted a unit that had hydrostatic transmission so we could maneuver it through small/tricky areas, etc. 5) we wanted a "hands-free" unit while trimming for weeds, 6) we wanted a unit where we could transport it easilly/safely in residential areas, cul de sacs, etc., yet being able to transport it at highway speeds when traveling to different markets.

I have a more detailed list regarding the advantages/disadvantages, but I will not detail those at this point. Lots of fine units on the market. Many features on all, but for each one....you better count how many hands & toes you have.:laugh:

a plus bob
01-30-2009, 07:58 PM
you cant beat a Z SPRAY.I can treat a 3,000 sq ft. lawn and then do 3 acre lawn.plus use my hose reel to spot treat or do a small area.when you get used to the controls you can do it one handed.It handles hills great and rides great,the suspinsion floor board is great.I have a intermediate with x-tra tank.

br549oicu8
01-30-2009, 08:04 PM
We run "PT Boats" instead of "Battleships". Reason being, our PT Boats are just as deadly and much faster/more efficient than Battleships in every situation.

We thoroughly evaluated all the 'major' brands of ride-ons over the past year & and half, and we came up with eight major reasons why we chose what we did, but I now have compiled a much larger list since then. We visited the manufacturing facilities of 3 of these companies & spent much time driving all of them -- on their sites, as well as locally. BTW all of them are good outfits and have very fine folks.

We looked at: 1) at least a two-year warranty, 2) didn't want to purchase, license & pull a trailer just to be able to use it, 3) wanted a unit that could fit through small gates yet could also treat a 20 acre property in one day when needed.....this eliminates running two separate routes in the same area with two different machines, 4) we did not want to have to drive a large truck that gets bad fuel mileage just to haul the thing, 4) we wanted a unit that had hydrostatic transmission so we could maneuver it through small/tricky areas, etc. 5) we wanted a "hands-free" unit while trimming for weeds, 6) we wanted a unit where we could transport it easilly/safely in residential areas, cul de sacs, etc., yet being able to transport it at highway speeds when traveling to different markets.

I have a more detailed list regarding the advantages/disadvantages, but I will not detail those at this point. Lots of fine units on the market. Many features on all, but for each one....you better count how many hands & toes you have.:laugh:

Interesting post....but battleships?? You gotta be kidding......:laugh:
What kind of ride on do you need to have a large truck to pull? I haven't seen that one yet.... Is it on tracks???:dizzy:

americanlawn
01-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Interesting post....but battleships?? You gotta be kidding......:laugh:
What kind of ride on do you need to have a large truck to pull? I haven't seen that one yet.... Is it on tracks???:dizzy:

Never said one needs a large truck to "pull" any sort of ride-on spreader/sprayer. Seems to me, if a ride-on needs "pulling", it means it's broke down.

Now if you're talkin' how ride-ons are to be transported -- that's a different story.....such as how to "transport" ride-on units But now you're forcing me to go into further detail.......(negatives regarding XXXXXX unit)

I spoke to B&B -- said there is no safe way to transport xxxxxx on a carrier rack. Even the two-wheel w/castor unit offered is "unsafe over 35 miles per hour". These are not my words -- merely the advice from the largest carrier rack company in the USA.

BTW I inserted the XXXXX myself -- not lawnsite.

As far as PT Boats compared to Battleshiips, I stand by what we know and have experienced. Main reason is cuz we did our due diliegence. Have you done this? Are you up on the newest technology?

daveyo
01-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Never said one needs a large truck to "pull" any sort of ride-on spreader/sprayer. Seems to me, if a ride-on needs "pulling", it means it's broke down.

Now if you're talkin' how ride-ons are to be transported -- that's a different story.....such as how to "transport" ride-on units But now you're forcing me to go into further detail.......(negatives regarding XXXXXX unit)

I spoke to B&B -- said there is no safe way to transport xxxxxx on a carrier rack. Even the two-wheel w/castor unit offered is "unsafe over 35 miles per hour". These are not my words -- merely the advice from the largest carrier rack company in the USA.

BTW I inserted the XXXXX myself -- not lawnsite.

As far as PT Boats compared to Battleshiips, I stand by what we know and have experienced. Main reason is cuz we did our due diliegence. Have you done this? Are you up on the newest technology?

So you just use ramps, no? I'm absolutely positive anyone from any company can do exactly what you did and come up with the same biased results. I'm not being negative here but its always better to have a non-biased outside company compare apples to apples. What I'm saying is there's pros and cons to every product its up to the consumer to figure out whats best for their application. That is why the consumer should do their homework and only rely on specs and usefulness of that product, how is xxxxxx product going to utilize my time in the most efficient way possible to make ultimately me more money.

br549oicu8
01-30-2009, 09:30 PM
To quote you "Never said one needs a large truck to "pull" any sort of ride-on spreader/sprayer. Seems to me, if a ride-on needs "pulling", it means it's broke down." Let me take another part of your earlier post.."4) we did not want to have to drive a large truck that gets bad fuel mileage just to haul the thing".
When you said you didnt' say that....sir...you did too.
I have done my research..28 years worth.
It's ok to have a favorite. I certainly do along with most on here.
We differ and that's ok. Not ok to say you didn't say something you actually did....
Not cool.......

ted putnam
01-30-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd sure like to see a head to head competition on video...I'm picturing in my mind 9 ft spread width vs (up to) 25 ft spread width and how thats faster and more efficient.:confused: Of course, I'm just a "hillbilly" from Arkansas. I can see the point about the rack...kinda...depending on which version of the machine you went with. However,I wouldn't want a pt-boat or a battleship hanging off the tail end of my truck. JMO

meets1
01-30-2009, 10:35 PM
So what brands are out there in order for me to be up with the last technology and offerings to my and your type of work?

ted putnam
01-30-2009, 11:08 PM
So what brands are out there in order for me to be up with the last technology and offerings to my and your type of work?

I've researched them all (extensively). I have not driven or used them all. There is L.T. Rich Z-Spray, Turfco T-3000. Those are the 2 latest, greatest and most expensive with the T-3000 being the most expensive vs. comparable sized Z-Spray. Then there is the Permagreen Magnum and GroundLogic Pathfinder. Both of these are very close in design and function. PG Magnum is probably the most widely used application machine out there. They are less expensive than the T or the Z. All have their advantages and disadvantages depending on what you're looking for and need in an application machine. The Z has been out there for years with a proven track record of reliability and staunch backers and the T-3000 is the "new kid" on the block trying to make a name for itself. It has its staunch backers as well. You just have to do your own research and decide what piece of equipment fits your needs...

RABBITMAN11
01-31-2009, 12:34 AM
Sure would be nice to see a unbiased feild test, to show who really does what! Instead we get xxxx company and their biased opinion, which by the way we have heard over and over like a broken record. Everytime we get a thread about xxxx ride on, the xxxx company puts in their biased opinion Maybe if xxxx company would stop playing the biased record, we could compare Corvettes to Yugos!

SpreadNSpray
01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
The Magnums work well for us. I like not having a trailer and the efficiency and productivity that goes along with that. The Magnums have been very dependable and reliable. The Magnum is a relatively light and compact machine that produces big production numbers with quality results. You need to have the right tool for the Job. For some a different ride on may fit their jobs better.

rcreech
01-31-2009, 12:31 PM
I have ran PG Magnums for the last four seasons! Love the machine and think it is by far the simplist machine on the market!

I have talked them up and believe they are a great machine for the money!

I have also ran the T-3000 and it is an awesome machine.

They are all VERY GOOD machines and have their niche IMO!

I however operate on mostly larger lawns and cover many, many acres so when looking at getting a new machine I was concerned with speed, carrying capacitities and effeciency.

Again, the PG has done great for me, and I KNOW the T-3000 would also...but I am proud to say I just purchased a Z-Spray Int and have it sitting in my barn!

AWESOME MACHINE...and what a great Co to work with! With that said though...PG has great people and I have been to Turfco's site and they have totally awesome people also!

End of the day...if you pick one of the "Big 3" you can't go wrong!

I am very pumped as with my Z I am going to be able to cover some serious acres quick! On my dry rounds only I can go up to 20' with my spread pattern and go 6 mph. I just don't see any other machine as of now that can do that!

Also I can cover 100K with liquid/fill as I have the aux. tank on the back!

Long story short...the best machine for me, or the best machine for Larry or anyone else may not be the best machine for you!

You have to look at your business, lawn sizes and where you want to go!

I think if you have small-medium (2K-5 acres) size lawns I would definitly go with the PG or T-3000, but if you have small to large acres (4k-20 acres) go with the Z.

Not saying the PG and T won't work on LARGE lawns at all...as I have done many 15-25 acre props with my PG's...but just isn't as effectient as far as CARRYING CAPACITIES and SPEED!

That is just my take on the situation!

br549oicu8
01-31-2009, 12:46 PM
I have ran PG Magnums for the last four seasons! Love the machine and think it is by far the simplist machine on the market!

I have talked them up and believe they are a great machine for the money!

I have also ran the T-3000 and it is an awesome machine.

They are all VERY GOOD machines and have their niche IMO!

I however operate on mostly larger lawns and cover many, many acres so when looking at getting a new machine I was concerned with speed, carrying capacitities and effeciency.

Again, the PG has done great for me, and I KNOW the T-3000 would also...but I am proud to say I just purchased a Z-Spray Int and have it sitting in my barn!

AWESOME MACHINE...and what a great Co to work with! With that said though...PG has great people and I have been to Turfco's site and they have totally awesome people also!

End of the day...if you pick one of the "Big 3" you can't go wrong!

I am very pumped as with my Z I am going to be able to cover some serious acres quick! On my dry rounds only I can go up to 20' with my spread pattern and go 6 mph. I just don't see any other machine as of now that can do that!

Also I can cover 100K with liquid/fill as I have the aux. tank on the back!

Long story short...the best machine for me, or the best machine for Larry or anyone else may not be the best machine for you!

You have to look at your business, lawn sizes and where you want to go!

I think if you have small-medium (2K-5 acres) size lawns I would definitly go with the PG or T-3000, but if you have small to large acres (4k-20 acres) go with the Z.

Not saying the PG and T won't work on LARGE lawns at all...as I have done many 15-25 acre props with my PG's...but just isn't as effectient as far as CARRYING CAPACITIES and SPEED!

That is just my take on the situation!

Excellent post!! Well stated.

grassman177
01-31-2009, 12:49 PM
glad to see the purchase of the intermediate zspray rcreech!!!!!!!! they are great and you wont be disapointed at all. in fact, you may retire the pg!!! we have a new intermediate on the way now. that makes 3 now, one of each size. the man witht he right tools gets the job! congrats

a plus bob
01-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Anybody have a groundlogic pathfinder?

pieperlc
02-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Wow, I can't believe the prices on the magnums and the other small machines for that matter. We bought our ultra in fall '05 (I think?), just before the magnums came out and paid just over 4k I believe. I guess I'll have to use a few more years looking at those prices. I feel lucky to have one for 4k. To date we've had only wear and tear items go out on us. Good luck with the z Rodney. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on how it does this year. I'm shocked you didn't go with the t-3000 or another PG.

ted putnam
02-01-2009, 02:04 PM
I can'[LIST]
Wow,. I'm shocked you didn't go with the t-3000 or another PG.

Shocked (me) NO... A little surprised, yes. Rod knows a quality piece of equipment when he sees one and he purchased what best fit his needs. I totally understand his decision. Sometimes you have to separate yourself from the "hoopla" or the "status quo" to get a clear vision of what best fits your situation.

americanlawn
02-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I agree with EVERYBODY who posted on this subject. Sure, it's been hashed & rehashed. Ride-ons are becoming more popular cuz we're all trying to become more efficient --- especially with local competition and an economy we are unsure of.

Rodney -- I am so glad you bought a Z-Spray cuz it's a whole lot better than what you had for the properties you take care of. Hopefully you bought the Intermediate with the larger hopper?? (It's my favorite of the Z-Spray line-up).

The geographic area we operate in is about 40 miles in each direction. No long drives to other areas like other markets. This is why we run machines that can do both small & large properties on the same route.

So here's my TURFCO spiel :laugh:, (stuff most guys don't know)

Top Speed: 5 mph (suggested), but can easily be increased -- we had ours running about 7 mph, but we discovered this was not a safe speed for applying herbicides.

Fuel tank = 2 1/2 gallons (not 2), and we have never run out of gas on any given day.

Full width spray = 9 feet (this is what TURFCO says), but both our T3000's spray 12 - 13 feet depending on the pressure we choose. (variable adjustment)

Full spread width -- also variable. From 3 feet to 15 feet depending on what we want.

Engine horsepower = 10.5 (minimum rating by manufacturer) Fuel efficiency = the same as Honda 5.5.

B & B carrier racks = "are sold for transporting T3000 units".

Slopes/hills (not mentioned) able to drive up and down 45 degree slopes at the same speed, while being able to stop at anytime. TURFCO recommends to keep it at 15 degree slopes....ooops :laugh: (probably for safety reasons)

For us, we don't want to have to pull a trailer or operate a large gas-guzzler truck in order to transport a ride-on ---- we simply don't need to cuz our market is fairly tight. (only 40 miles in each direction)

While single receiver carrier racks are sold for transporting the T3000, we took carrier racks one step further.....we have our own locally built. Our racks have "dual receivers" (each receiver is about 3 feet apart). This way, we can safely carry a much heavier load with no safety issues. I'm figuring these carriers could even haul a Z-Spray, but I have no specs to support this.

The "load & fill" feature is an advantage for us, cuz we can quickly do this before even driving the unit off the rack. If one hauls a trailer or drives a large truck, this could be an issue that takes extra time.

The above are many of the reasons for our purchasing decisions -- without downgrading other ride-ons (I hope).

All ride-ons have their place. My personal favorites = T3000 & Z-Spray Intermediate w/the larger hopper. My 2 cents worth :waving:

turfsolutions
02-01-2009, 04:55 PM
I am trying to picture spraying a 12 foot swath without a boom sprayer. My z sprayer's nozzles spray down and has a 9 1/2 feet wide swath. Without a boom, these other stand ons that advertise a 12 foot swath have nozzles that spray outward. Seems like you are setting yourself up for a lot of drift on a lightly breezy day compared to a boom sprayer. Any pics of the T3000 spraying 12 feet would be helpful.

grassman177
02-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I am trying to picture spraying a 12 foot swath without a boom sprayer. My z sprayer's nozzles spray down and has a 9 1/2 feet wide swath. Without a boom, these other stand ons that advertise a 12 foot swath have nozzles that spray outward. Seems like you are setting yourself up for a lot of drift on a lightly breezy day compared to a boom sprayer. Any pics of the T3000 spraying 12 feet would be helpful.

very good point i wondered about that too

pieperlc
02-01-2009, 09:32 PM
The nozzle on the PG are only about 10" or so off of the ground so there is little chance of drift. They get the width by spraying horizontally. I've never had a problem with drift while using my Ultra and I've sprayed on days when I probably shouldn't have. Granted, I only get 8-9' of spray width.

rcreech
02-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Good luck with the z Rodney. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on how it does this year. I'm shocked you didn't go with the t-3000 or another PG.

Thanks...I am sure I will keep you all posted!

Sorry for the shock! :laugh:

As stated previously...it wasn't an easy decision as I had my mind made up on the T-3000, but I do a lot of LARGE props and just picked up a bunch more this winter.

It only made sense to go with a machine that had large carrying capacity and speed.

Plus...the cost of the Z Int was actually less then the T. The Z is build like a tank and love its ability to cover a very large area without refilling!

FdLLawnMan
02-01-2009, 11:20 PM

I have no problem with drift on my T3000, but 12 feet is the maximum it will spray. You can adjust that with changing the angle of the nozzle. When I see the droplets starting to get displaced by the wind I quit.