PDA

View Full Version : Maxicom

hoskm01
01-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Is anyone trained up on Maxicom? Does anyone use it, have any sites using it?

From what I've heard, its tough to find someone up in this part of the state that can run it. A couple places have the system all set up and dont use cause they cant find someone to run it.

Im going to the level I class in Denver in March. Pretty excited about it, could lead to some large accounts.

Just curious if anyone has run it, and their thoughts.

hoskm01
01-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Is anyone trained up on Maxicom? Does anyone use it, have any sites using it?

From what I've heard, its tough to find someone up in this part of the state that can run it. A couple places have the system all set up and dont use cause they cant find someone to run it.

Im going to the level I class in Denver in March. Pretty excited about it, could lead to some large accounts.

Just curious if anyone has run it, and their thoughts.
Like a tard, i searched after posting. Looks like ICS and ML were into it at one time. Would like to hear opinions etc...

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-30-2009, 05:23 PM
I walked by some of those classrooms..

<<<<shocked @ what they said

hoskm01
01-30-2009, 05:26 PM
I walked by some of those classrooms..

<<<<shocked @ what they said
Good? Bad? Stupid?

CAPT Stream Rotar
01-30-2009, 05:28 PM
It just blew my mind our industry is going in this direction.

the technology involved is amazing..

Sprinkus
01-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Haven't worked with Maxicom since the local airport expansion a few years back.
Also, my mind hasn't worked since the local mind expansion a few years back. :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Haven't worked with Maxicom since the local airport expansion a few years back.
Also, my mind hasn't worked since the local mind expansion a few years back. :dizzy:Are you talking Maxicom, or Michoacán?

Sprinkus
01-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Are you talking Maxicom, or Michoacán?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Kiril
01-31-2009, 09:51 AM
It just blew my mind our industry is going in this direction.

the technology involved is amazing..

Child's play. :waving: :laugh:

Mike Leary
01-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Like a tard, i searched after posting. Looks like ICS and ML were into it at one time. Would like to hear opinions etc...

I am still (I guess) Maxi certified. Never liked the operating system, but it could have changed for the better.

Waterit
01-31-2009, 03:36 PM
it could have changed for the better.

Hasn't, won't.

Mike Leary
01-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Hasn't, won't.

Figures, Maxi was never made for us.

Kiril
01-31-2009, 04:38 PM

Depends would be more like it. :laugh: ;)

hoskm01
01-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Care to expound?

Mike Leary
01-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Things may have changed, but in Maxi, the clock was not accessible from the field, only from Central Command; no changes were permitted, nor could a remote be used. The software was sluggish compared to RM, the graphics were slow and archaic. The software was spendy, not to say RM is not, but I like their operating system better. RB has never impressed me with their clocks and operating systems. I have not researched the newer version of Maxi; it could have grown up. Seems to me I read that Maxi .2 has remote,come to think of it.

hoskm01
01-31-2009, 06:41 PM
Things may have changed, but in Maxi, the clock was not accessible from the field, only from Central Command; no changes were permitted, nor could a remote be used. The software was sluggish compared to RM, the graphics were slow and archaic. The software was spendy, not to say RM is not, but I like their operating system better. RB has never impressed me with their clocks and operating systems. I have not researched the newer version of Maxi; it could have grown up. Seems to me I read that Maxi .2 has remote,come to think of it.
I gotcha. Was Version 1 DOS based. I heard 1 place up here still runs as DOS. Unfathomable.

Mike Leary
01-31-2009, 06:57 PM
I gotcha. Was Version 1 DOS based. I heard 1 place up here still runs as DOS. Unfathomable.

Now it is unfathomable; remember, this was a FEW years ago and that was state-of-the-art, to most people; I thought it was junk.

Mike Leary
01-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Matt,What's the price difference vs. services between the big three of central?

hoskm01
01-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Matt,What's the price difference vs. services between the big three of central?
Maxicom becomes outrageous, in my opinion, because it requires the software on their computer, which you have to buy. Great for large sites, so I hear. The plus side is that there is no monthly or yearly upkeep to it but for wireless charges to your CCU. We didnt even price Maxicom for this one, waiting on numbers for IQ.

Rainmaster is about 250/yr, per controller. That is for wireless charges and includes the zipET and icentral access. You have to have the modems on your controller, or they are 500ish each.

We ended up not spec'ing Calsense, much to my dismay. Customer opted away from that one, on what basis, im not sure.

Signature was the other we did on this one. Theres seems to be the highest, to me. about 1100 per year with the online central and ET streams to the controllers. Thats up to 5 satellites.

Maybe a decision soon, hopefully.

The Maxicom thing would be nice to offer, especially if I had a Maxicom controlling computer. I got a bug in my ear that the market was desperate for someone up here for systems already in and running, so off to class I go.

Mike Leary
01-31-2009, 09:33 PM
I got a bug in my ear that the market was desperate for someone up here for systems already in and running, so off to class I go.

Take your pillow; I doubt if Maxi school has gotten any more interesting. I took my lead to Maxi school and we both ended up eating pizza and watching "B" movies when we were supossed to be studying for "the big test"; lame. I hope you go with RM.

bicmudpuppy
01-31-2009, 11:19 PM
My experience with "live" maxicom is OLD, but it works. More recently, I looked at the option because that pedestal I posted all the pics of about 18 months ago was Maxi compatible. My memory says the older maxicom systems have the same problem my current Toro system does. All communication is ONE WAY. CPU to satellite. As I understand it, the new maxicom software allows TWO WAY commo. Everyone keeps telling me this isn't important. You shouldn't have to change the program at the satellite. I have OSMAC. IF my computer goes down, EVERYTHING stops. Only those commands that have been paged will run. RB satellites are stand alone. Changes at the satelite are reflected to the master control when communication occurs. This is large turf/golf type central control. All of the software for these is cumbersome, BUT if you learn how to make it all work, is very versatile. Remote means the freedom add on. Pig tails are going to be an issue, the system monitors power and will not like a stand alone remote being attached. This helps them sell freedom options (UHF radio like the ones I took the picture of a few days ago). You will use a handheld radio with a DTMF pad. You MAY be able to set up most of the sites to communicate with your office and do programing and monitoring from there. IF you can centralize the control point through your office, you may be able to cross information. The data from a weather station at site "D" can be used by the other sites you control.

hoskm01
01-31-2009, 11:31 PM
Take your pillow; I doubt if Maxi school has gotten any more interesting. I took my lead to Maxi school and we both ended up eating pizza and watching "B" movies when we were supossed to be studying for "the big test"; lame. I hope you go with RM.
I just want the contracts with the places that already have Maxi. I hope its better than it was when you went. An upgrade, I hope.

hoskm01
01-31-2009, 11:33 PM
My experience with "live" maxicom is OLD, but it works. More recently, I looked at the option because that pedestal I posted all the pics of about 18 months ago was Maxi compatible. My memory says the older maxicom systems have the same problem my current Toro system does. All communication is ONE WAY. CPU to satellite. As I understand it, the new maxicom software allows TWO WAY commo. Everyone keeps telling me this isn't important. You shouldn't have to change the program at the satellite. I have OSMAC. IF my computer goes down, EVERYTHING stops. Only those commands that have been paged will run. RB satellites are stand alone. Changes at the satelite are reflected to the master control when communication occurs. This is large turf/golf type central control. All of the software for these is cumbersome, BUT if you learn how to make it all work, is very versatile. Remote means the freedom add on. Pig tails are going to be an issue, the system monitors power and will not like a stand alone remote being attached. This helps them sell freedom options (UHF radio like the ones I took the picture of a few days ago). You will use a handheld radio with a DTMF pad. You MAY be able to set up most of the sites to communicate with your office and do programing and monitoring from there. IF you can centralize the control point through your office, you may be able to cross information. The data from a weather station at site "D" can be used by the other sites you control.
Thanks Brian. I guess I'll see what I can learn and what I can sell for upkeep contracts after that.

How was Durango?

bicmudpuppy
02-01-2009, 01:02 AM
How was Durango?
Durango has been a BLAST. I haven't looked at all the pictures yet. They didn't get to fly Friday AM. We got the balloon "up", but then Don decided he didn't like the wind and we put it back away. Was good for me. Practice was fine :) I got to see most of the operation in a short time frame. Today, it was as close to perfect as I could imagine it might be. I drove the chase vehicle and Dana and Don took my daughter up. She didn't quite get to "cloud nine", but they got really close !! We plan to crew again in the morning. I think we will take my son's small video camera. I'm still amazed at the difference 1000' makes. Durango is snow packed. The little bit we had to pack the balloon, the basket slid really well on its runners. Here, less than 30 miles south, the snow is gone and they have been playing golf. BUT, Aztec is at about 5500'. I think Don said the launch site was 6600' and they went up to about 7600' in the balloon. My daughter thinks she got a picture of the herd of Elk the flew past.

Kiril
02-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Just makes Calsense all the more sensible.

Mike Leary
02-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Just makes Calsense all the more sensible.

Have you run pricing differences between the big three? Is Calsense THAT expensive compared to RM & RB?

hoskm01
02-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Have you run pricing differences between the big three? Is Calsense THAT expensive compared to RM & RB?
I yacked with my Ewing Rep for a few when we were considering it. Sounds comparable to RM, maybe a hair higher. Nothing like Maxicom, price-wise.

VikeBeaver
02-09-2009, 05:53 PM
www.Imsh2o.com runs Maxicom Irrigation systems.

Mike Leary
02-09-2009, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=VikeBeaver;2757662]www.Imsh2o.com runs Maxicom Irrigation systems.[/QUOTE
I know them; the best. Ellen and Hal are two of my favorite friends/pros.

Mike Leary
02-09-2009, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Leary;2757707][QUOTE=VikeBeaver;2757662]www.Imsh2o.com runs Maxicom Irrigation systems.[/QUOTE

We've worked jobs with them and met at I.A; the best!