PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 3500 dump Vs Isuzu NPR dump

jbailey52
01-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Hey guys..were looking at adding a new dump this year.. but I cant decide if were better off with a chevy gas 3500 stakebody dump or an isuzu. We are getting an extended cab with either we choose as well as Gas engine.

Any suggestions between the two?

Gravel Rat
01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't think cabovers come as a extended cab. There is a big difference between a cab over and a 3500 with a stake dump. One the cabover will carry more weight even if its a 3500 Isuzu/GMC. I would look at a 4500-5500 cab over those little trucks will carry the weight. The 3500 stake dump will ride better thou.

If you need a truck with a good turning radius then go with a cabover and if your doing lots of city driving or working in city neighbourhoods go with the cabover. If you were doing lots of freeway driving and working in rural areas go with a 3500 Stake dump.

jbailey52
01-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Im lost with the terms.. Cabover is the isuzu type with the cab over the engine?? Ha Im assuming.. the isuzu actually does have a crew cab model...

The prices are about the same, and I like the look of the Isuzus im just worried about my guys driving it.. seems like it would be a lot different to drive... I know the sales guy says "Oh you see so much more in this truck so its easier" But I dont know if that all true...

nosparkplugs
01-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Personally I like having a HOOD infront of me, and the NPR Cabs are small for me their dedicated work trucks nothing else. no gas either:nono:

Gravel Rat
01-30-2009, 11:41 PM
The one thing about a cabovers especially the 1.5-2 ton trucks your pretty much dead if you get in a head on. Your first on the accident scene.

The second problem is the ride you sit over the steer tires so your azz feels ever bump in the road.

I wouldn't buy a gasser cab over.

South Florida Lawns
01-30-2009, 11:59 PM
no to the gas cab over even though they are the proven 350 chevy engine. They do ride bumpy but not terrible. Of course our roads never see rough winters. Some are fast I been in one with three 2700lb pallets of salt for water softeners and we could keep up with 60mph traffic. I never thought about the danger's of being in an accident, makes sense though.

For lawn maintenance with hundreds of stops a week they are ideal.

Gravel Rat
01-31-2009, 12:01 AM
For working in the city a cab over is great. Driving on the freeway doing 60 mph or more yikes :dizzy:

nosparkplugs
01-31-2009, 12:22 AM
For working in the city a cab over is great. Driving on the freeway doing 60 mph or more yikes :dizzy:

I have two degree's in healthcare, spent over 15 years in XRay/CAT scan, worked for several Level 1 trauma centers, and have seen alot of death, and stories of miracle's.

These Cabforwards/NPR's are dangerous you WILL get hurt in a frontal collision. Your like a Bug hitting a windshield, in that the last thing that goes trough your head is your ARSE.

As far as training a crew man to drive one their a "nobrainer" zero learning curve.

GR did you check out the Ford 4500/5500 chassis cab prices!!! their under 45K here in the USA:waving:

lawn king
01-31-2009, 07:29 AM
The cabover will out work,out haul and out last the 3500. This is not just wild conjecture, i own and operate both trucks. If you crash head on at high speed on a weekly basis, perhaps you should buy the 3500.

BrandonV
01-31-2009, 10:32 AM
we have on of the crew cab mitfusos, love it to death. the only catch with these crew-cab-cabovers is when something major needs to be worked on they'll actually have to take the whole cab off, they don't flip forward like the 2-door variants. I'm sure this will add to the cost of repairs, other than that WE LOVE IT. carry 7 guys easy, easy to drive.

ConstSvcs
01-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Cabover is my vote ! If you are searching for an all work chassis for a crew, the cab over crew cab seems perfect. There are a few in my area, used by mason and landscape contractors they seem effective. A wise business purchase.

Buy the largest GVW model you can afford. This is a truck you will own for many years!

The larger GVW models have larger wheels and brake systems.

NO GAS !!!!! You are making an investment in a truck built to run 300K miles plus !

"First at the accident seen" Be alert and drive defensively! Be a professional not a terror on the road.

I own a 19500 GVW FRR and love it !

Tom T

LLandscaping
01-31-2009, 09:34 PM
I would look at the Isuzu NQR. It runs 19.5 tires, larger brakes, has a larger GVW, and a few other things.

BrandonV
02-01-2009, 08:58 AM
if you consider a 2 door cabover take a look at the ford lcf, we bought on last year... love it.

jbailey52
02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Hey guys.. sorry for all the dumb questions.. but I found out it is almost impossible to find info for the 2 dumps online.. and you cant search dealer inventories with commercial trucks.. I dont know.. Anyway we deff want a extended cab or crew cab.. I have never even heard of a NQR only NPR.. price in same ballpark? My dealer told me an crew NPR dump gas would be around 28,000 and a GMC 3500 extended around 30.000.... sound right?

johnnybravo8802
02-05-2009, 01:14 AM
I had a new Isuzu 01' cabover box truck and loved it. The thing would turn on a dime which isn't something you'll do with a conventional truck. I had the 4 cyl. diesel and it hauled anything I wanted to haul and got good fuel mileage-goes to prove you don't need 300+ HP to do the job!!! However, I did wreck it one time, went throught the windshield, hit an oak tree at 80MPH, but walked away. The tree broke my fall. I walk sideways and get these severe headaches, but other than that, I'm fine.:rolleyes: Get the cabover!!!!:drinkup:

autoguy70
02-06-2009, 12:22 AM
I have owned 15-20 different landscaping trucks over the past few years. I got one cab fowards two years ago and loved it. We sold all the C4500's and bought 6
cab fowards last year. We are going to sell a few and buy a few new ones this year. For the head on wrecks..... I don't feel like any of our crews are in a real danger of any head on wrecks.
If you want to see anything we are going to sell let me know. We have one 02' npr-hd crew cab with a big dump box. 22xxx org. miles. Almost mint cond.

Also an 02' gmc w4500. live hydrolics, v snow plow, tail gate spreader, i think around 20's miles.