PDA

View Full Version : wireless backup camera

C4chris70
01-30-2009, 07:55 PM
I am considering buying a backup camera system to mount behind my trailer to make it easier to see behind me when backing up. My questions are: Do any of you use a system like this, and if so should I go wireless. I'm not sure I could use the standard type with wires because you need to connect the systems through your reverse lights, and my trailer does not have reverse lights. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

JHLC
01-30-2009, 10:37 PM
I have one and I will never own an enclosed trailer again that doesn't have one. Its great, I use it more for driving down the road than I do backing up. The camera is great for seeing behind you to change lanes. Every night when I get home I back my trailer up to the fence and can stop within 1" of the fence every time. I have 2 cameras, one on the trailer and one on the truck. They are wired cameras that I switch between with a plug. I use the screw together plugs made for CB microphone cords that I got from Radio Shack. When I am not pulling a trailer the cable coming from the truck is plugged into a socket under my bumper that is hooked to the camera on the truck. This camera shows the trailer hitch in the middle of the screen, great for hooking up to a trailer, I get it perfect on the first try every time. Once I back up to the trailer I unplug the cord from the socket on the truck and plug it into the socket on the side of the trailer tongue. This switches the view on the screen from whats behind the truck to whats behind the trailer. The cord is a short piece of coiled phone line like you would have on an office phone. It stretches out when hooked to the trailer and coils back up when I have it hooked to the truck. I believe the cameras are made by Pioneer. They run about $200 a piece, kinda pricey, but well worth the money. They are full color with night vision and are reversed. The screen is like looking in a rear view mirror, Whats on the right side of the screen is on the right side of the truck. I thought this was going to be confusing but it actually works out pretty good. If you have any questions or want me to take some pics to help explain it a little better, let me know. Justin

South Florida Lawns
01-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I wanna get one they are great. You can get good ones now at advanced for $49.95

AintNoFun
01-30-2009, 10:43 PM
i have one we put on our box truck and i ordered two more last week for our 2 single axles..

coobie
01-31-2009, 08:30 PM
www.swifthitch.com