PDA

View Full Version : Thanks everybody!!!!! I have one more ?

b.lawncare
01-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded to my problem. I've got a pretty good idea on a base price for my chemicals. Now i've got another question. My main income comes from lawn maintenance. I really want to push my chemicals though. What is the best way to get new customers besides yellow pages. Has anyone had very good luck with passing out flyers? Or door hangers?

grassman177
01-30-2009, 10:00 PM
not really, some work yes, but owrd of mouth for existing maintenance customers is the best way to start till you get a grip on things, then push it. you need to devleop a good program and make sure you even get results first.

lawn doctor dude
01-31-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded to my problem. I've got a pretty good idea on a base price for my chemicals. Now i've got another question. My main income comes from lawn maintenance. I really want to push my chemicals though. What is the best way to get new customers besides yellow pages. Has anyone had very good luck with passing out flyers? Or door hangers?

hey b.,
i have worked for the same company for 9 years, and we have tried many diff. approaches to advertising. yellow pages have given us our best results. money mailers have worked for us as well. when we treat a yard, we hang door-hangers on 2 or 3 houses to the left and right of our yard. also hang some across the street if possible. there is nothing better than having multiple houses on the same street. :drinkup:
diff. things work better for people in diff. areas. nothing is better advertisement than a nice green yard in the middle of not so nice yards!!!Thumbs Up. hope this helps

RAlmaroad
01-31-2009, 09:10 AM

Years and years ago, I attended some very expensive seminars in DC. Something to the tune of $1000/day for sales and promotions. One of the main points was that business must have their name seen 3 times in order for a person to consider or remember them. So that in mind--just think--What can I do to put my name in front of people for recognition: A sign at neighborhood stop signs (they'll get thrown away and will need to be replanted). Business cards at local beauty parlors, barber shop, laundr-o-mats, spots on TV, Radio, Fairs, Home and Garden Shows, High School Annuals, Join the PTA and drive your big white van with you business name on it, donate some time to the school where you can put a sign on a insignificant amount of work like plantings even you don't do landscape work, etc. Yellow Pages are generally thought of by advertising agency as "Where to Go" when you've made a decision to buy. "You have got to always be closing" and constantly advertising. A nice van with you company in big letters is a must. Now you can send me a check. Roy

lawn doctor dude
01-31-2009, 09:36 AM
Years and years ago, I attended some very expensive seminars in DC. Something to the tune of $1000/day for sales and promotions. One of the main points was that business must have their name seen 3 times in order for a person to consider or remember them. So that in mind--just think--What can I do to put my name in front of people for recognition: A sign at neighborhood stop signs (they'll get thrown away and will need to be replanted). Business cards at local beauty parlors, barber shop, laundr-o-mats, spots on TV, Radio, Fairs, Home and Garden Shows, High School Annuals, Join the PTA and drive your big white van with you business name on it, donate some time to the school where you can put a sign on a insignificant amount of work like plantings even you don't do landscape work, etc. Yellow Pages are generally thought of by advertising agency as "Where to Go" when you've made a decision to buy. "You have got to always be closing" and constantly advertising. A nice van with you company in big letters is a must. Now you can send me a check. Roy

do you take third party out of state checks? :cool2: (jk)

Whitey4
01-31-2009, 10:04 AM

If your main income is still maintenance, that means you don't have the apps for your maintenance customers. I make far more $ doing apps on my maintenance accounts than mowing brings in. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. The first place to start is to write a letter to every single mow account you have, extolling your virtues for fert and controls.

Get a boilerplate set of paragraphs describing your program, but customize the opening and closing paragraphs for each individual customer. Then mail the letters. That may sound stupid, but things that come in an addressed envelope in the mail from the guy who does the maintenance will get read.

Then follow up with a phone call about a week later. You have a captive audience already... take advantage of that fact.

Ric
01-31-2009, 10:37 AM
If your main income is still maintenance, that means you don't have the apps for your maintenance customers. I make far more $ doing apps on my maintenance accounts than mowing brings in. Correct me if I'm wrong about that. The first place to start is to write a letter to every single mow account you have, extolling your virtues for fert and controls.

Get a boilerplate set of paragraphs describing your program, but customize the opening and closing paragraphs for each individual customer. Then mail the letters. That may sound stupid, but things that come in an addressed envelope in the mail from the guy who does the maintenance will get read.

Then follow up with a phone call about a week later. You have a captive audience already... take advantage of that fact.

It is called Vertical Marketing as apposed to Horizontal marketing. Selling one customer all services. IMHO the key here is to do excellent work that stands out. This builds reputation and word of mouth customers. I feel I have achieved that Reputation and no longer seek fine yard customers, they seek me.