PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing finish mowing with a toolcat?

01-31-2009, 12:44 AM
Just curious if anyone is doing finish mowing with a toolcat, and how the finished product looks compared to a large Z turn mower?

If you have any pics you can post it would be great. I know there are pics on the bobcat website, but they are only gonna show the best shots. I want to know real world how it does. Also, how do the mowing times compare, good or bad?

foreplease
02-03-2009, 08:16 AM
I do not know of anyone using this setup and have never seen one around here. Looking through Bobcat's web site, it appears the blade tip speed is comparable to the typical Zs at +/- 18,000 fpm.

The 3-pt finish mower looks like it might be good for ROW mowing; the 3-pt rotar is clearly made for that. If the mid-mount was going to be used on athletic fields, I would be concerned about the weight of the machine it needs to be mounted on. All three models are over 3,000 pounds, plus the weight of the mower. That is more than double what the 60" - 72" Zs weigh.

From the point of view of someone who may already have the Bobcat and wants to do more with it, it looks like a mid-mount PTO kit would need to be added to the typical Bobcat in order to use the mid-mount mower they offer.

Under a very narrow range of conditions, my guess is you could get a decent cut quickly. Having it as my primary mower would not interest me based on what little I can see.

02-03-2009, 10:45 PM
This is the Toolcat I am talking about. It uses a hydro powered finish mower. It is actually over 5000 LBS, and 4 wheel steer. It would be for doing large areas behind commercial properties, or for doing side lots around industrial properties. Areas 5-10 acres.

I'm looking for info on someone that has used one, and wondering how the speed of cut is compared to a large decked Z? Which finishes first on 5 acres? Which does more in a day?

http://atvillustrated.com/files/images/mower.img_assist_custom.jpg
http://www.daken.com.au/images/Toolcat/Toolcat%20with%20mower-6106-hr.jpg

foreplease
02-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Well I have not used or seen one but I thought it was interesting so I read what I could about it. I hate to see any serious post here not get any play or discussion. The things I said were from the perspective of how it might do on athletic fields, having forgotten the "Public Grounds &" part of the forum name. Sorry.

Although it seems well suited for where you want to use it, I agree that only someone who has used one can help you. I hope you get your answer here.

02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Yeah I might of posted this in the wrong section, it was a toss up between this and the commercial area. I just figured the ppl in this section are probally mowing larger areas so maybe have some experience with it.

meicher806
02-04-2009, 09:15 AM
one would think that this set up would work good, but i dont know.

have you talked to your local dealer about a demo?

02-04-2009, 01:06 PM
one would think that this set up would work good, but i dont know.

have you talked to your local dealer about a demo?

Bidding starts soon, and will be awarded before the snow is gone. So won't have an opportunity to demo the mower until its too late. I think it will work good though. I'm gonna go ahead and bid the couple places, and if I get em, then look at the TC more.

nosparkplugs
02-04-2009, 01:14 PM
The Toolcat is similar to the Kubota RTV900, and my experience on the Pipe line with the Kubota RTV900 its underpowered, very heavy, the little Kubota diesel will run all day long, but has only enough power/torque to run the RTV900 that's it, so unless the Toolcat has more diesel power I would avoid it. The Toolcat is the "jack of all trade's master of none"

02-04-2009, 07:03 PM
The Toolcat is similar to the Kubota RTV900, and my experience on the Pipe line with the Kubota RTV900 its underpowered, very heavy, the little Kubota diesel will run all day long, but has only enough power/torque to run the RTV900 that's it, so unless the Toolcat has more diesel power I would avoid it. The Toolcat is the "jack of all trade's master of none"

Whats the hp on the RTV900?
The TC is 59hp (at the motor, not sure of the actual hydralic hp. But its a high flow unit with 3000 psi - runs skid steer snow blowers well from what i hear)

Votum Gardens LLC
02-05-2009, 04:57 PM

Comparing the RTV900 to the ToolCat isn't fair to the Kubota. I know it has some hyd powered tools, but nowhere the level of the Toolcat. For that matter is a mower even an option? It has 22.5 HP compared to the ToolCat at 56 HP. The RTV900 is better compared with the Bobcat 2200.

Now saying that I have never done any mowing with our ToolCat, we tend to use a tractor and our Landpride 90" finish mower for those areas where a ZTR isn't pratical, but the thing is probaly our most used whether it's at the nursery or on the job site. The only down side in my opinion is the ROC for the Loader arm is 1500lbs. We bought for maintanence for our commercial properties. The thing is truly a "jack of all trades, master of none" but the way the economy is going, the more versatile the item, the more justifiable it is to keep.

02-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the info Votum. The PTO tractor mower must do a good enough job to make everyone happy? How is the ride for the operator? How many acres/hour do you get with your setup?

Votum Gardens LLC
02-06-2009, 01:44 PM
Using our DX40 I average around 14 acres an hour. That's with the mower set at 3" and with mowing every two weeks. As for ride well it's definitely more comfortable than our Ferris IS4500Z. I hopping to improve my time with our Farmall 60 this year. Plus it will be more comfortable with cab and air than the old open station DX40.

02-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Wow 14 acres an hour! Thats nuts. A sub for me last summer, using that same tractor, got just over an acre an hour with a 6' brush hog, but that was on 3' tall grass also. I'll have to look into that setup alittle more. Thanks :)