PDA

View Full Version : TruGreen

tga
01-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Anybody ever use TruGreen for more than a season? Up here they are the most expensive to subcontract any work to, and provide less than stellar results. They only use 1/2 lb of nitrogen per 1,000. Anybody ever here of that as common practice??:nono:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
01-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Anybody ever use TruGreen for more than a season? Up here they are the most expensive to subcontract any work to, and provide less than stellar results. They only use 1/2 lb of nitrogen per 1,000. Anybody ever here of that as common practice??:nono:

True Brown= Marketing company who supposedly does lawn care:laugh: They have a piss poor reputation in my area & just about all others. Sometimes they are way low, sometimes sky high:confused: but around here they ALWAYS SUCK on quality! :usflag:

Whitey4
01-31-2009, 10:24 AM
In my area, they use TONS of N! I don't know exactly how much, but they start in early March and by mid April I'm cutting 5"s of top growth.

Since I am cert for pesticides, and do my own fert apps, I flat out told the one customer I had that if he didn't sign up for my fert-weed control program, find someone else to mow and blow. No more clogged decks for me... and not only is my program better, it's less expensive than Scotts or Trugreen.

If you want to sub your apps out, find a good local company to do it for you.

lawn doctor dude
01-31-2009, 10:26 AM
True Brown= Marketing company who supposedly does lawn care:laugh: They have a piss poor reputation in my area & just about all others. Sometimes they are way low, sometimes sky high:confused: but around here they ALWAYS SUCK on quality! :usflag:

i thought this was only true in TX? :eek:

Ric
01-31-2009, 10:37 AM

True in Florida also. But I don't run into them now as much as I used too. BTW they low ball in my area charging about 2/3 the going rate.

grassman177
01-31-2009, 10:44 AM
theya re a nation wide epidemic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whitey4
01-31-2009, 10:51 AM
They are low ballers elsewhere? Here they are quite pricey. It also seems clear they use lots more product on LI than they do elsewhere. All that early N caused serious summer burn on that one account I mentioned... made it easier to get them to switch to my program since I warned them that summer burn would be really bad with all that early N Trugreen put down.

lawn doctor dude
01-31-2009, 11:03 AM
there are a ton of true green trucks where i work. i see multiple every day. most of them i talk to seem like decent guys, (and one lady). they all have the same mentality though, work as fast as you can to make as much money as possible. they don't seem to be too worried about the condition of the yard vs the amount they can potentially make. :confused:

Ric
01-31-2009, 11:08 AM
IMHO

All of the national Franchises suck on quality. There comes a point of diminishing returns or quality, occurs in any service company. Big is not better by any means. Even bigger local companies end up doing crummy work because they can not train or keep good help. Any time a company brags about having more than 2,000 or 3,000 customers, They are saying we do lousy work and rip off our customer. BTW That is because we also make very little margin per job because we are so big.

DLAWNS
01-31-2009, 11:45 AM
i thought this was only true in TX? :eek:

It was also true where I lived in Florida and where I live in Jersey, like someone else said, it's a nationwide problem.

LawnTamer
01-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Here, as everywhere I believe, they have sales reps who work on commission. So you will see a wide variance in their pricing. Two lawns, same neighborhood, both 6k, one is paying $45/app, and one is paying $69/app....the difference? The salesman knew he could get more out of the $69 client.

They pound lawns with N here. I have been told, by formers TGCL employees that all they use fert wise is N and fe. I would believe it. I know they buy tons of 46-0-0, and their lawns have tons of top growth and tons of snowmold in the spring from excessive N spurring late fall growth.

rcreech
01-31-2009, 12:42 PM
I have always said...that as long as TG is in business, I will never have to hire a salesman! :cool2:

They use subpar products, subpar practices and that equals subpar results.

Plus I can't stand them because they TAKE ADVANTAGE of the elderly and the stupid!

I can't stand to see a business do that!

I am eating their LUNCH this winter! :cool2:

With that said though, we need to repect them as we will probably "sell out" to them sometime.

I was actually in the middle of selling my business to TG about 4 months ago and they didn't step up to the plate and give me what I was "worth" (which BTW...I am really glad I didn't sell). I told the VP I was working with that if they didn't buy my 400 accounts now....I will just take 400 from them over the next couple years and they can then buy 800 from me down the road.

I think he thought I was kidding! :laugh:

grassman177
01-31-2009, 12:44 PM
i will have to add, they have been great to the growth of my business. i get pissed of customers of thiers all the time. so, how bad are they!? to me thery are great

Perfect Image TLM
01-31-2009, 06:26 PM
theya re a nation wide epidemic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100% agree!

PSUTURFGEEK
01-31-2009, 08:30 PM
I have always said...that as long as TG is in business, I will never have to hire a salesman! :cool2:

Plus I can't stand them because they TAKE ADVANTAGE of the elderly and the stupid!

With that said though, we need to repect them as we will probably "sell out" to them sometime.

I was actually in the middle of selling my business to TG about 4 months ago and they didn't step up to the plate and give me what I was "worth" (which BTW...I am really glad I didn't sell). I told the VP I was working with that if they didn't buy my 400 accounts now....I will just take 400 from them over the next couple years and they can then buy 800 from me down the road.

I couldn't agree more, in our part of the state they are using really bad Ag blends from a local Ag supplyer Paper bags and Giant SGN's also the liquid part of thier program is a crappy 13-0-9 100% soluable mixed with in most cases a non 24d weed control and Barricade from the drum or tote that has very little agitation, this game they play will never end no matter who owns them, Honestly there was a time when Chemlawn was a good company and was more about retention than reselling cancels but those days are way gone.

BigBUCKEYEfan
01-31-2009, 09:59 PM

As you have stated, they do the same in the Cleveland area too! There prices are never in line with the square footage of the lawns! I had a senior citizen that was getting charged $700 + for a 5M SFT lawn! they sold her like 9 or 10 visits, as she bought everything they told her she would need and her lawn, though it was green, looked like it hardly ever had a weed treatment plan! Was and easy sell for sure!

kootoomootoo
01-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Subpar products?

You mean like Andersons and Lesco?

PSUTURFGEEK
02-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Subpar products means using ag grade fertilizer instead of a decent turf fertilizer like Andersons or Lesco, I'm not gonna go into schooling you on the difference but take Lescos standard particle size which is like 220-225 sgn andersons maybe 235-240 ag grade fert way bigger particle size.

mikesturf
02-01-2009, 09:03 AM

We should be very happy the our biggest competition is TruGreen. If they were a great business like WalMart a lot of us would be out of work.

turf hokie
02-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Subpar products means using ag grade fertilizer instead of a decent turf fertilizer like Andersons or Lesco, I'm not gonna go into schooling you on the difference but take Lescos standard particle size which is like 220-225 sgn andersons maybe 235-240 ag grade fert way bigger particle size.

Turf

Depends on which Andersons product you use I suppose, when I have used andersons it has always been on a 210 Prill.

kootoomootoo
02-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Now that you are saying Trugreen uses Ag Grade fert. I might have to school you in the consequences of defamation.

ted putnam
02-01-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't know anything about subpar products. I have seen plenty of subpar results through the years. I think that pretty much goes hand in hand with subpar practices(mixing, apllictation techniques, etc...) Those are my opinions. As far as defamation of character...most of the time they do a pretty good job of that for themselves.

KACYDS
02-01-2009, 01:14 PM
As far as defamation of character...most of the time they do a pretty good job of that for themselves.

lol:laugh::laugh::laugh:

kootoomootoo
02-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Nothing to do with character or results....

If you say they are using ag grade fert. you better be able to back it up.

Fert. comes in different prill sizes...? who knew.

rcreech
02-01-2009, 02:34 PM
As far as defamation of character...most of the time they do a pretty good job of that for themselves.

Thats awesome Ted!!!! :laugh:

By subpar products, I am talking liquid urea and mostly mineral N.

I don't think these product should be ever be used except for winterizer apps!

I sell my customers on SCU and less apps!

Its a win-win for them and me!

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-01-2009, 02:46 PM
We should be very happy the our biggest competition is TruGreen. If they were a great business like WalMart a lot of us would be out of work.

A great business like Walmart??? Its because of the Walmart-types in the fert/squirt biz that we get business coming our way.
(Sorry, just going off on walmart references......:)

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
02-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Didn't Anderson buy the Scott's branded fertilizers about 10 years ago??

Whitey4
02-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Didn't Anderson buy the Scott's branded fertilizers about 10 years ago??

I don't know about that, but the Scotts fert is actually pretty good stuf... the problem is that what they sell to the retail market has too much N, like twice what it should have for my uses. The step 4 isn't a bad fert at all, becsause it isn't a combo product, you can just reduce the rate of application. Each prill contains N, P, and K and reuslts in an even distribution of product. The Scotts fert processing operation is pretty good... it's the formuations that I don't like.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
02-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I can say the same thing, I have used scotts on some brown stubborn properties and they are green by next week, so the stuff does work, its just twice as expensive as my other supply of fert..

Smallaxe
02-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Here, as everywhere I believe, they have sales reps who work on commission. So you will see a wide variance in their pricing. Two lawns, same neighborhood, both 6k, one is paying $45/app, and one is paying $69/app....the difference? The salesman knew he could get more out of the $69 client.

They pound lawns with N here. I have been told, by formers TGCL employees that all they use fert wise is N and fe. I would believe it. I know they buy tons of 46-0-0, and their lawns have tons of top growth and tons of snowmold in the spring from excessive N spurring late fall growth.

Interestting comment.

How do you manage your ®Winterizing® strategy?

I may not be able to converse in a timely manner, but am curious about when your last app is - in relation to your last mowing. And what are the ingredients and how much of each?

As far as TGCL is concerned - They are the Barnum & Bailey of the lawncare/landscape world. Their idea of winterizer is to sell ferts for the frozen turf of winter. :)
Summer burn, carpet roots, and all of the fungal diseases are common with TGCL.

LawnTamer
02-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Interestting comment.

How do you manage your ®Winterizing® strategy?

I may not be able to converse in a timely manner, but am curious about when your last app is - in relation to your last mowing. And what are the ingredients and how much of each?

As far as TGCL is concerned - They are the Barnum & Bailey of the lawncare/landscape world. Their idea of winterizer is to sell ferts for the frozen turf of winter. :)
Summer burn, carpet roots, and all of the fungal diseases are common with TGCL.

I don't apply my winterizer app until the lawn has stopped growing for the season. A lot of guys pound the lawn with N while it is still growing, they get tons of new, tender growth right before the lawn goes dormant. Not all homeowners will get the lawn mowed late in the fall, just the way it is. That tender new growth is more susceptible to certain disease pressures, and long matted grass under heavy snow is an open invitation to snowmolds.

Smallaxe
02-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Good point. We ensure the grass is long in summer and short in winter.

This brings up the question as to what the fert does after the top stops growing.

ed2hess
02-01-2009, 09:43 PM
We used them in Austin for some of our 100K size commericial properties. It was a like pulling teeth to keep weeds out and grass green. I will have to hand it to them they redid many times when I complained. But eventually we had some winter rye that just wouldn't green up and I went out and put sulfate on it and it got green and we gave them pink slip., But to my knowledge there isn't anybody in our area that will do these larger properties.

PSUTURFGEEK
02-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Now that you are saying Trugreen uses Ag Grade fert. I might have to school you in the consequences of defamation.

Come on school us on Ag grade fert used on turf and I'll give you some actuall situations where thet have been fined by the Pa dept of Ag for doing this it is public record, are you really serious, come on bring yours and I'll bring mine

FdLLawnMan
02-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Good point. We ensure the grass is long in summer and short in winter.

This brings up the question as to what the fert does after the top stops growing.

The roots of the plant are growing until the ground freezes. This was shown by Dr. Wayne Kussow of the University of Wisconsin. The application of water soluble nitrogen has shown be a huge benefit as long as it is not applied to early. Within two weeks of when the grass has stopped growing is best.

americanlawn
02-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Your statement makes no sense and lacks credibility. How could a local company excel without having good help? How do you know "they" do lousy work? How do you know what "margin" these folks have? Which of these companies "do crummy/lousy" (repeating yourself) work? Any evidence? What's your source?

I know several of "these types" that are very successful, and it's cuz they do good work ---otherwise, they would not be in business. They are also "local" which is a good thing. :cool2:

IMHO

Even bigger local companies end up doing crummy work because they can not train or keep good help. Any time a company brags about having more than 2,000 or 3,000 customers, They are saying we do lousy work and rip off our customer. BTW That is because we also make very little margin per job because we are so big.

Ric
02-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Your statement makes no sense and lacks credibility. How could a local company excel without having good help? How do you know "they" do lousy work? How do you know what "margin" these folks have? Which of these companies "do crummy/lousy" (repeating yourself) work? Any evidence? What's your source?

I know several of "these types" that are very successful, and it's cuz they do good work ---otherwise, they would not be in business. They are also "local" which is a good thing. :cool2:

Larry

I believe I first stated IMHO How if the shoe fits please feel free to wear it. But that is my opinion as a result of what I have seen over my business life in the green Industry. I will totally disagree with the fact that good work is the factor for success by these companies. I will grant you Good Marketing is in fact a bigger factor than quality work by these companies. TV advertisement and Flyer also account for growth. Many of these companies hit a volume wall where they lose as many customer as they gain each year. Bigger is not always better. In fact IMHO the bigger the company the less quality of services rendered. BTW even the worst tech thinks they do good work. That doesn't mean everyone thinks they are doing great work.

mngrassguy
02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks American. I was waiting for your sensible reply.

I know many good TG techs who do very good quality work. I also know TG suffers from very rapid employee turnover.

It all comes down to price. When the good techs get to a low price lawn, it often gets skipped. The next day, a newer tech gets it and it gets done. Quality ends up suffering. You get what you pay for.

rcreech
02-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I personally don't think the size of a company has anything to do with quality!

I think it comes down to good personel, good product and good practices.

With that said...a good company will ALWAYS use good product and good practices but the good personel is always an issue with any company big or small.

I know Larry and know he is an awesome guy with a very successful business!

I would NEVER put him in the same boat as TG!

I think you can still be BIG and do GREAT work!

It is hard to screw up a lawn using the right products at the right time of the year.

americanlawn
02-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Yep -- and I'll be the last guy here who criticizes TruGreen. Especially in our market, cuz they seem to do a fine job here.

mngrassguy
02-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I NEVER criticize the competition in front of a potential customer. It can make me look bad too. I always talk about what I do better. I wouldn't have worked there so long if they weren't such a good company (in the 80's). Many of us wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for them. We ALL need to stick together for this industry to survive.

americanlawn
02-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Wrong again bud-- successful businesses are not "successful"?? ...duh -- Also ----.

Ain't you the same guy that PM'd me suggesting that my Mother did not give me attention. WTF? You also said I was emotionally deprived --guess you know me?. Your latest comments on lawnsite are discusting as well..

I say it's time for you to find a different "chat room". This ain't no chat room bud -- it's a green industry site. So get over your jealousy and find the teen chat room who has a place for you.

I believe I first stated IMHO How if the shoe fits please feel free to wear it. But that is my opinion as a result of what I have seen over my business life in the green Industry. I will totally disagree with the fact that good work is the factor for success by these companies. I will grant you Good Marketing is in fact a bigger factor than quality work by these companies. TV advertisement and Flyer also account for growth. Many of these companies hit a volume wall where they lose as many customer as they gain each year. Bigger is not always better. In fact IMHO the bigger the company the less quality of services rendered. BTW even the worst tech thinks they do good work. That doesn't mean everyone thinks they are doing great work.[/QUOTE]

PSUTURFGEEK
02-02-2009, 09:32 PM
I agree every Trugreen branch has it's share of good tech's but I will never under any circumstance give the amount of credit that I have seen in this thread to a Marketing company that thrives on customer turnover, Just my opinion.

Think Green
02-02-2009, 09:42 PM
A great company is only as good as its employees!! The office executives only see numbers--the supervisors see the employees--the employees see the customers. If the employee isn't performing to the maximum efficiency to the customers satisfaction, then the company isn't worth the contract they are selling!
If I were a state license auditor for the chemical applicator's industry in my area, I would have taken the license from this individual and fined the company to the max.
Case and point!
Back in August of last year, while servicing a neighboring lawn, a TGCL applicator came to a house beside me. While watching from the seat of my Walker mower, in total amazement, at the specticle of applying a stream of liquid to a lawn that was totally obliviated by 112 degree heat and no water for at least a month. With ease, the applicator scoured the lawn in 12 minutes. The wind was blowing in my direction and with no odors at all coming from within that area, I went over to ask him in a polite way of his intentions on weed control at this time and heat. As the man stopped for a short while, I bent down and picked up a leaf from the lawn, covered with liquid, smelled the leaf and asked him "What are you applying to this lawn?" He responded-"I don't know, whatever the office puts in there, I spray!"
I will stop there because it is a shame that this man either was not educated in his field or he was being unrespondant to a possible customers question. The employee then went to his truck--got the invoice--door tagged it--lawn signed it. I asked him as he was driving away, what about a question of importance. He told me that the 1-800-number is on the lawn sign call it.........................
So, it could lead to reason that the company does, in fact, apply products that are inconsistant with its labeling. They could, in fact, be doing work that is inappropriate for the weather conditions. Then again, who is there to refute any work being done?
Does this kind of action make TGCL a bad company?
Does this employee need to carry their name as a professional company?
Most people don't really take the time out of their busy life to even think of what they are getting in their contract and what they are getting in service!

Ric
02-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I agree every Trugreen branch has it's share of good tech's but I will never under any circumstance give the amount of credit that I have seen in this thread to a Marketing company that thrives on customer turnover, Just my opinion.

PSUTURFGEEK

IMHO Not unlike this thread TG/CL blows more smoke than worth.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
02-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I had a customer who hired me and when I started they told me that TruGreen was handling all the fertilizing and went on about how they do 7 treatments per year with a Grub control app., and Aeration, this was their first time using them, so they were sure of their results. I was okay with that, I just told them if they were not happy later on down the road to let me know and I will be more than happy to take over the Fert. Apps for them.

4 months went by, the lawn looked like it was abandoned and never treated, so I finally told the customer that if I can't be in control of everything associated with the Landscape Maint. than I'd have no choice but to move on, because after all I didn't want people driving by and thinking that was my work, it looked horrible, so they agreed and fired TruGreen.

I immediately applied my regular fertilizer and then the following week it was almost fully green, by the 2nd week it looked excellent, so I wonder if they were actually spraying water or what exactly they were doing?? I can't speak for, or blame every TruGreen franchise does the same, but I can speak of my short experience with them was not that great.