PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the 3/4 Ton Plow Trucks Ford v. Chevy (not the age old question though)

BuffaloLandscaping
01-31-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi All,

I hope to be entering the Landscaping world this Spring & will need a truck. I have always owned Ford but have driven a number of Chevys as well. I have plowed with Ford & Toyota. Dodge is not a consideration for me for various reasons :nono:. The questions is Ford v. Chevy but in an intelligent way (not the usual crap).

I'm looking at (same price):
1997 Ford F-250 Heavy Duty 4x4, 351/Auto, Fisher Plow ~100k
1998 Chevy K2500, 350/Auto, Fisher Plow ~ 90K

Having driven both, I know there are things I like about each but I'd like to hear from people who earn their living with these things. I'd like to preferably hear from people that have run both to eliminate bias.

I'm most interested in reliability & lowest cost to own over a 5 year time-frame. I won't be working these things to death or plowing commercially but I don't want to buy a money pit either as I know trucks can be.

What my perceptions are in terms of quality/durability (I'm interested to see how close I am):

Better engine: Draw
Better trans: Chevy by about 8 miles
Better suspension: Ford
Better 4x4 system: Not sure
Better body: Ford by a mile
Better interior: Ford
Better electrical: Ford
Better reliability: Draw, Ford has tranny issues, GM has fuel delivery ones
Better driving experience: Chevy by 5 miles
Better resale: Ford

Yes, in my mind it appears Ford would win but I'm still open-minded to those that have worked both.

Thanks,

Dave

Midstate Lawncare
01-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Ford out of those two....
Best all time? 2002-2004 chevy/gmc 2500 6.0 liter gas with a western 8'. You can do things in those trucks that aern't supposed to happen. lol... unless the boss is around lol.

South Florida Lawns
01-31-2009, 05:09 PM
looks like you pretty much narrowed it down to Ford by your self. I think with that solid axle on the front of the 250 is more stout for slamming some snow, then the IFS on the chevy.

King Cuts Landscaping
01-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi All,

I hope to be entering the Landscaping world this Spring & will need a truck. I have always owned Ford but have driven a number of Chevys as well. I have plowed with Ford & Toyota. Dodge is not a consideration for me for various reasons :nono:. The questions is Ford v. Chevy but in an intelligent way (not the usual crap).

I'm looking at (same price):
1997 Ford F-250 Heavy Duty 4x4, 351/Auto, Fisher Plow ~100k
1998 Chevy K2500, 350/Auto, Fisher Plow ~ 90K

Having driven both, I know there are things I like about each but I'd like to hear from people who earn their living with these things. I'd like to preferably hear from people that have run both to eliminate bias.

I'm most interested in reliability & lowest cost to own over a 5 year time-frame. I won't be working these things to death or plowing commercially but I don't want to buy a money pit either as I know trucks can be.

What my perceptions are in terms of quality/durability (I'm interested to see how close I am):

Better engine: Draw
Better trans: Chevy by about 8 miles
Better suspension: Ford
Better 4x4 system: Not sure
Better body: Ford by a mile
Better interior: Ford
Better electrical: Ford
Better reliability: Draw, Ford has tranny issues, GM has fuel delivery ones
Better driving experience: Chevy by 5 miles
Better resale: Ford

Yes, in my mind it appears Ford would win but I'm still open-minded to those that have worked both.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

We had 97 HD F250 351 4x4 with Meyers plow set up and salt spreader, great truck bought it in 99 off an older man and was pretty much my first truck for my company. However it ate up ball joints and over the years little things would go wrong, exhaust manifold, Trans wiring issue where it wouldn’t down shift into 1st gear, front gas tank had problems. Over all great truck, lots of power and great looking body style. We maintained it regularly just when our employees started take in it as it got older these “little things would go wrong”. We replaced it two years ago with a new 2007 Chevy HD 2500 6.0 with Meyers mm plow set up. I love the Chevy but then again it’s still new! I know this probably doesn’t help you decision but personally I would go with the ford in this case. Our ford went 258,xxx miles same motor and trans. 351 auto

good luck in 09,
Bret

Gravel Rat
01-31-2009, 07:09 PM
You start plowing alot with a chevy your going to be doing lots of front end work. The IFS doesn't do too well under lots of front end weight. The Ford with Twin Traction beam probably isn't any better you definatly need a Dana 60 front axle

hosejockey2002
01-31-2009, 08:23 PM

Concerning 10-12 year old trucks with close to 100K on them, you can't answer your question as far as lower cost and reliability. Those will be a function of the condition of the truck and how well it was maintained. Since both trucks were used for plowing, they are likely to be beat to hell.

TXNSLighting
01-31-2009, 09:17 PM
looks like you pretty much narrowed it down to Ford by your self. I think with that solid axle on the front of the 250 is more stout for slamming some snow, then the IFS on the chevy.

no straight axle on square body 250's, only 350's.

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Ford out of those two....
Best all time? 2002-2004 chevy/gmc 2500 6.0 liter gas with a western 8'. You can do things in those trucks that aern't supposed to happen. lol... unless the boss is around lol.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Dave

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 12:18 AM

I do have a little bias but I am open-minded (save for Dodge). I have heard that the Fords are better for snow removal as well but I do still see a lot of Chevys as well...

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Dave,

We had 97 HD F250 351 4x4 with Meyers plow set up and salt spreader, great truck bought it in 99 off an older man and was pretty much my first truck for my company. However it ate up ball joints and over the years little things would go wrong, exhaust manifold, Trans wiring issue where it wouldn’t down shift into 1st gear, front gas tank had problems. Over all great truck, lots of power and great looking body style. We maintained it regularly just when our employees started take in it as it got older these “little things would go wrong”. We replaced it two years ago with a new 2007 Chevy HD 2500 6.0 with Meyers mm plow set up. I love the Chevy but then again it’s still new! I know this probably doesn’t help you decision but personally I would go with the ford in this case. Our ford went 258,xxx miles same motor and trans. 351 auto

good luck in 09,
Bret

A Ford @ 258K w/ original tranny? I almost don't believe it. :confused:

Thanks for the reply.

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 12:20 AM
You start plowing alot with a chevy your going to be doing lots of front end work. The IFS doesn't do too well under lots of front end weight. The Ford with Twin Traction beam probably isn't any better you definatly need a Dana 60 front axle

I'm assuming the 350 has the Dana 60? :confused:

Thanks,

Dave

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Concerning 10-12 year old trucks with close to 100K on them, you can't answer your question as far as lower cost and reliability. Those will be a function of the condition of the truck and how well it was maintained. Since both trucks were used for plowing, they are likely to be beat to hell.

Touché, well said. How about if all things were equal as in these were owned by the same people, same maintenance, etc. I'm looking for common issues, not issues based on who owned them. :) Agreed, they are most likely beat but I can't afford new.

Thanks,

Dave

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 12:36 AM
no straight axle on square body 250's, only 350's.

What type of suspension does a 250 have? I thought it was a solid axle on both the 250 & 350?? :confused: Heck, I thought even pre '97 F-150s had solid front axles as well. I know in '97 they went to IFS on the 150s but I believe all Super Dutys have solid front axles ('99 to present).

Am I incorrect?? :confused:

Thanks,

Dave

TXNSLighting
02-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Square body 250's have the twin I beam suspension. Its a decent front end, but Still had its weak points. Yes all 99+ have straight axle. Square body 350's have the straight axle.

BuffaloLandscaping
02-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Square body 250's have the twin I beam suspension. Its a decent front end, but Still had its weak points. Yes all 99+ have straight axle. Square body 350's have the straight axle.

Thanks for the clarification!! :)

TXNSLighting
02-02-2009, 07:39 PM
No problem!

TXNSLighting
02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
O and California is a bunch of goofy tree hugging weirdos! Im glad i dont live there.

South Florida Lawns
02-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks Ryan, learn something new everyday.

TXNSLighting
02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Me to! Im learning new stuff everyday! Helps out in life! Just be sure you can back it up, unlike some on here...

lawnjocky
02-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Just a thought. Instead of buying a used snow plow truck, buy a used 4x4 truck and then put a used plow on it. A truck that has plowed all it's life is a repair bill waiting to happen. As for comparing Ford vs Chevy all I have ever used is Chevy's with the oldest being a 94 3/4 ton with 100,000 miles on it. I have had no major problems with any of them but that could be because I buy new and maintain them well.

hosejockey2002
02-11-2009, 10:29 PM
O and California is a bunch of goofy tree hugging weirdos! Im glad i dont live there.

They are probably glad you don't live there too...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

TXNSLighting
02-11-2009, 11:26 PM
They are probably glad you don't live there too...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

PROCUT1
02-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Ive had dozens of trucks. Fords Chevys and Dodges

Dodges couldnt keep a tranny. Fords couldnt keep an engine. Chevys have little annoying problems but just go and go and go.

Most of my work trucks are 1989-1997 Chevys. We run them hard and they take everything we throw at them. Its extremely rare to have a problem with one that will put if out of service.

Now for newer trucks, I own all fords. Once chevy left the 90's style the trucks became too car like. Theyre too low to the ground. You put a plow on them and the front end drops more than the plow lifts.

Newer fords have their share of problems too but seem to be built with "work truck" in mind. Chevys seem to be built for the family guy who goes to home depot on weekends.

So 1980's - Late 1990s I will only buy Chevys

2000's I will only buy fords

And Dodge....Well they havent made a truck since the 70;s

TXNSLighting
02-11-2009, 11:46 PM
you havent checked dodge out lately huh? theyre much improved.

lawnjocky
02-12-2009, 04:09 PM
"Once chevy left the 90's style the trucks became too car like. Theyre too low to the ground." What? I bought a 08 Chevy 1/2 ton Silverado last spring and I need a ladder to climb in the stupid thing! If I had wanted another big truck I would have got a 3/4 or 1 ton. I parked it next to one of the other trucks that are 4x4 and 3/4 ton and it is just as tall. Big time buyers remorse. Should have kept the old Ford. I bought it for errands not to feel manly. The next 1/2 ton I buy I'm taken a tape measure to the lots with me.

IdealLawnCare
02-13-2009, 10:23 PM
I have had nothing but Chevy and Ive never had a major problem and I plow with them too. Overall I am happy with my Chevys. I think the different brands of trucks are all good if you take care of them. They all go through their ups and downs throughout the years.

TXNSLighting
02-13-2009, 11:33 PM
"Once chevy left the 90's style the trucks became too car like. Theyre too low to the ground." What? I bought a 08 Chevy 1/2 ton Silverado last spring and I need a ladder to climb in the stupid thing! If I had wanted another big truck I would have got a 3/4 or 1 ton. I parked it next to one of the other trucks that are 4x4 and 3/4 ton and it is just as tall. Big time buyers remorse. Should have kept the old Ford. I bought it for errands not to feel manly. The next 1/2 ton I buy I'm taken a tape measure to the lots with me.

Are you 5'6??? They are very low to the ground. I fall into Gm's....I have to jump in fords and dodges.

Advanced Lawn Care, Inc.
02-14-2009, 07:54 AM
I have a Chevy 2500 and I have to hop up just to get into the darn thing> Im 5'9. I also own a ford f-150 while it has been a good truck. I bought it because it was all I could
A-FORD at the time. My Chevy has a better ride even for a 2500 with the independent front suspension and plows better too. Ford claims to be the number one selling truck, but it seems chevys hold there value longer and are more rare to find than fords. I searched for about 1.5 months before finding my chevy for a decent price. At the same time passing on ford after ford. Do an ebay search you will see like 500 fords available compared to 175 chevys--- people are keeping there chevys