PDA

View Full Version : Picket Fence labor price

Petey's Landscaping
01-31-2009, 09:23 PM
I have a customer that is wanting me to give them a price on a 4' x 127' picket fence with a 6' gate. I usually just sub this type of work out, but work is slow, so I thought I would give it a try. Just going to use 8' sheets from lowe's. I have done some fence work before, but nothing this long so I am not sure about how much to charge for Labor, hope someone can help.

Chrysalis
02-01-2009, 02:18 AM
Hey Petey,

I would say, instead of trying to estimate the total time of the whole project you should think about how long it will take per 8 foot piece

And of course including time for pick up / delivery and all that per 8 foot piece.

Try to think of exactly what is involved to and get a closer number, like concrete work and all.

example: 2 hour per piece x how many pieces = hours for project x hourly rate + any additional labor = sum + additional 15 to 20%

in case you didnt know hourly rate is a sum of your overhead / profit / income

For additional labor I charge 2x what i pay them which is $10 per hour

DanManofStihl
02-01-2009, 09:40 AM
There are a couple of things to look at when you bid a fence job location and access are to main ones that I always looked at. Can you get a truck to were you are going to work if not you have to bid in the time it takes you and the pita surcharge. Are there trees around that you are going to have to auger through the roots to put your 4x4s in the ground, what kind of soil is it hard clay soft sand. Tools you are going to need to rent/ buy if you don't have. The eight foot ready made fences are very easy to put up as long as you get the poles in the correct line and distance.

Petey's Landscaping
02-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I am able to pull right up to the job site, I have all of the tools I need, and I know how much money I need to make a day. I was just seeing what type of price range, like pavers I get $12.00-$15.00 a sqft.

Chrysalis
02-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Well then use the same formula you used for the 12 - 15 Sq foot of pavers and forget all that other stuff. :)

bigviclbi
02-02-2009, 09:16 AM
For 4' high wood fence we would be about $35-$40 a post. $100 bucks to hang the gate. Not sure what you are digging in though, all sand here. Try that to start then tweak what you have to. Since its not that long of a run you will probably need to pad it a little, and remember to add for delivery.

RocketLab
02-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Are you selling the materials too? If it's just labor figure somewhere around $8 per linear foot plus $100 to construct the gate and see where you end up. Remember your going to have the expense of nails and screws and gate hardware. Do you have a nail gun?

If you are providing materials get a price on your materials and start figuring $20-$24 per linear foot and see what you make. Don't forget the cost of concrete.

This is all providing you aren't hitting rock when setting your posts.

Fence construction can be a great supplement to your income for slow times

Great site for figuring materials is www.hooverfence.com/forms/woodcalc.htm

neversatisfiedj
02-02-2009, 03:24 PM
3.50 square foot.

Smitty58
02-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I build a lot of fences and there is now way I would buy 8 ft sections at lowes. Mine are all stick built. The quality is way better. For a picket I use treated 4x4's sacreted in the ground, 2x4 treated rails, and 1x4 cedar pickets. I charge $12 a foot total material and labor for this. Material is approx half of that. If it is very short the 12 per ft won't work or if it is extremely long 12 per ft might be a little high ,but the avg yard 150-300 ft that is a pretty good number.

Petey's Landscaping
02-02-2009, 06:59 PM
She just called and said they are going to use vinyl instead. It is 30.00 bucks a section for what she picked out, materials are running about 900.00 for all of the vinyl parts. I just want to make sure I am going to make some money, but not price my self out of a job. Thinking about 2600.00 for everything, labor, vinyl, post, hardware, cement, etc.
What do you all think.

JerseyGreen
02-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Smitty58 does your price include cement

Smitty58
02-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Yes my price includes sacrete in every post.