PDA

View Full Version : Mitsubishi FG?

JS Landscaping
01-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey guys, came across a Mitsubishi FG dump truck with a 9 foot plow and 2 yrd sander for sale 2 towns over, didnt have a chance to stop to get info on it, being I was on company time, for my current employer. Anyone on here running these trucks? Talked to a guy I know who has one and he loves it. Says it never gives him any problems, always reliable, and good on fuel. Not the most powerful or quickest, but im looking for something reliable and practical comming into this season. It will be mainly used to haul the mowing trailer and for smaller loads of material. Any thoughts or comments apreciated.

cutbetterthanyou
02-01-2009, 03:30 AM
Stay away i bought one off ebay a couple years ago and with in a years time i put over 5k in it, and it was a clean lookin truck. They are very expensive to work on. I have heard storys of 300-400k miles on up with no problems, but not me the one i bought had 109k. Guess they are hit or miss. I will never rules them out, because they are great to work out of, but i will if they are out of warrinty.

modedicebox
02-01-2009, 07:48 PM
We have an 02 mits. fe640 mind you its not and fg 4x4 but similar. Its has just under 300 thousand miles on it and runs like a top. Its 15-16mpgs pretty quick,exhaust brake, ac, heat pw everything. Absolutely love the truck. Will defiantly be adding an fg 4x4 asap.

JS Landscaping
02-04-2009, 08:55 PM
thanks for the replys guys. I have 2 years of Diesel Mechanics schooling under my belt so I will be working on my own equipment usually, instead of sending it to a shop. Im guessing parts are more expensive for them being that they are imported? Going to look at the truck tomorow and see what he wants for it.

PROCUT1
02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I had one for a while. Great truck. The one major downfall is that the GVW is very light on those. You put one scoop of topsoil in them and they are overweight.

DOT is crawling all over orange county, and if you plan on crossing the Newburgh-beacon with a load forget about it.

I replaced it with an older FH model which is the six cylinder 2-wheel drive 18,00 gvw truck. Huge difference in power and hauling ability.

All in all if you are just hauling light material and a mowing trailer, the Fg would be a good truck for you.

JS Landscaping
02-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Yea DOT is all over our area now. I was nailed a few times in the past 3 years, once with my own company. Seems that a lot of local PD's have thier own DOT inspections officer now. I know warwick and harriman do, since those are the towns I was nailed in. They have really stepped checks up big time in the past few years around here.

PROCUT1
02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Yep. Montgomery area is heavy and they are almost always on the bridge.

We;re in Newburgh and most of our work is on the other side of the river. Its a pain but it keeps us on our toes maintaining the trucks.

gene gls
02-05-2009, 08:03 PM
thanks for the replys guys. I have 2 years of Diesel Mechanics schooling under my belt so I will be working on my own equipment usually, instead of sending it to a shop. Im guessing parts are more expensive for them being that they are imported? Going to look at the truck tomorow and see what he wants for it.

Parts have to come from OEM, expensive. I just replaced the grab handle on the drivers side, $ 27.00 +. Got a price of $ 276.00 for just the drivers seat, not the whole assembly, just the seat part. Air filters are $ 65.00. Had a heat problem last week, raditor was flushed and a new thermostate, 6 gal of anti freeze, came to $ 445.00. Mine is a 1999 Fe HD.

JS Landscaping
02-05-2009, 10:25 PM
I figured the OEM parts will be expensive. How do you like it as practicality. I know it wont be a heavy hauler, mainly going used for lawn maintenence, and get a larger dump if needed down the road. This will be my first dump for starting out all over again this year. How is it reliablity wise? Fuel wise? Its either this or going for one of the F series dump trucks to start.

gene gls
02-06-2009, 06:53 AM
I figured the OEM parts will be expensive. How do you like it as practicality. I know it wont be a heavy hauler, mainly going used for lawn maintenence, and get a larger dump if needed down the road. This will be my first dump for starting out all over again this year. How is it reliablity wise? Fuel wise? Its either this or going for one of the F series dump trucks to start.

As for a work truck, its very good, 109" WB. I can carry 3 ton with my GVW ratting. The wireing is my biggest problem every year. In 2007 I adveraged 15+ mpg, in 2008 it was 12.8. When I plow the truck runs for the entire storm. Cab overs ride very rough, you feel every crack in the road. With the plow on I have to watch for frost heaves as the plow will bounce a lot. Its not a truck for highway driving, it screams at 60 mph.