PDA

View Full Version : Someone stole my laptop!

The Lighting Geek
01-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Someone broke into my truck and stole my laptop, even with the alarm going off. But I had just broken the charging port and removed the battery to see how difficult it would be to replace the port/plug. So they got a dead laptop with no ability to charge it and no battery. Those dumb bastards!! LOL

But I lost a lot of stuff, including all the pictures since my last back up, which unfortunately was a while ago. Make sure you guys are backing your stuff!! You never know when it going to happen to you. I fortunately had copied the most important info to a flash drive recently, it eases the pain a little.

On another note, I have asked to participate in another show and do all or some of the lighting. I also had the opportunity to a live 3 min segment on the local NBC morning show. The next season of Yard Crashers starts next week on DIY network. I did 2 episodes in that season (season 2) and have already shot 2 in season 3 and have 3-4 more to do. I will be posting clips online as they are aired. It has been a hoot doing the shows and more stuff is in the works.

I will try to check in more when I can until I replace my laptop.

TXNSLighting
02-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Man sorry to hear. Cant wait to see ya again on TV! Next week, already? Good deal!

nosparkplugs
02-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Someone broke into my truck and stole my laptop, even with the alarm going off. But I had just broken the charging port and removed the battery to see how difficult it would be to replace the port/plug. So they got a dead laptop with no ability to charge it and no battery. Those dumb bastards!! LOL

But I lost a lot of stuff, including all the pictures since my last back up, which unfortunately was a while ago. Make sure you guys are backing your stuff!! You never know when it going to happen to you. I fortunately had copied the most important info to a flash drive recently, it eases the pain a little.

On another note, I have asked to participate in another show and do all or some of the lighting. I also had the opportunity to a live 3 min segment on the local NBC morning show. The next season of Yard Crashers starts next week on DIY network. I did 2 episodes in that season (season 2) and have already shot 2 in season 3 and have 3-4 more to do. I will be posting clips online as they are aired. It has been a hoot doing the shows and more stuff is in the works.

I will try to check in more when I can until I replace my laptop.

Sorry to hear that, report it stolen, and when they hook up to the internet with it, you can bust them:waving:

Actually it's a easy fix for a qualified tech about $175.00 with shipping, But you have to take the laptop down to the motherboard level, google DC jackport repair this is a very common problem,

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Tommy's advice is sound. ALWAYS keep your notebook synch'd in with your office machine. Also, install a password and message on the bios of your notebook. That way when it is lost/stolen etc, they cannot access anything and your phone number & reward message come up right away.

I have things set up that as soon as my notebook comes online to the office network, a series of sync's and backups occur, keeping all my files "on the same page" as it were. This way, when you do loose your notebook, be it to theives, leaving it on the roof of the truck, or dropping it into the lake, you have the peace of mind that all your files are safely stored.

Regards

Alan B
02-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Tommy, sorry to hear about that--what a pain.

Great resource is to subscribe to Carbonite.com. Automatically backs up your entire computer to remote server for $49/yr. Every new file automatically backs up in the background--you do nothing, doesn't slow connection down. Never have to worry about losing anything, nor ever back anything up. Whether you have a hardware issue or computer stolen, everythin g is stored at Carbonite and you can download/reinstall anything you need. I learned the hardway after 2 harddrive malfunctions. There are a bunch of other online automatic back-up services.

MowerMedic77
02-01-2009, 03:11 PM
You may want to look into this product also. Your story has me thinking about getting it even more then I already was....
http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/products/how_does_it_work.asp

Lite4
02-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Oh man Tommy, that sucks. Sorry to hear about that.

JoeyD
02-02-2009, 06:10 PM
That sucks Tommy!

Elegant Outdoor Lighting
02-03-2009, 01:36 AM
Congrats on the upcoming shows! Raising awareness of our industry is important and I'm glad it's you taking on part of that job.

Sorry to hear about your laptop Tommy, yup, backups are king...

you know they have those netbooks now. Ultra sleek and portable, 9" screen and 20 gig shockproof flash drive...now that's kinda geeky

Not to mention they are 250-350 bucks.

David Gretzmier
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
sorry about the laptop ! Just curious- with all the exposure you get on TV, has that played out into more work for you? do you get calls from other areas of the country thinking you may do work all over the US ?

The Lighting Geek
02-04-2009, 10:06 PM
It has turned into more work. I have had work offered to me in a couple states that would include flying my crew and some equipment to do the work. One job is in Wisconsin and we are looking at june/July.

I think it will help AOLP in getting some much needed national attention in regards to consumer awareness.