PDA

View Full Version : Dump trailer or dump truck??????

nobagger
02-01-2009, 08:56 AM
I looking at a few different options. Here's my dilemma, we have been pounded with snow this year, actually we're the second highest city for snow amounts. I have a dumpbed insert in my truck but it is carrying my liquid set up and I don't feel like removing it. I'm so tired of trying to rely on other people for dumps to haul the snow away. Not to mention thats money I could be putting in my pocket. So, I was looking at used dump trucks and found nothing but JUNK! for 5-6k. Then I was thinking about a dump trailer, I would be buying a 14k gvw so down the road I could also haul a skid steer. I also would use it for a huge leaf removal set up, delivery of mulch in excess of 5yrds, hauling stone, etc. The pros of a dump bed.....no mechanical break downs, many uses, low maintenance, in general a lower cost of ownership. Cons.....about the worst thing I can think of if backing it into places but I'm really good with trailer's so I really dont think its a con.

David Haggerty
02-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Check the insurance on a small dump truck. It's insane!

paradisescaper
02-01-2009, 09:34 AM
i own a dumptruck the ins. is 200/mth. but i still like the dump trailer i think you should go that route. the best part i think would be leafs have aloader between your truck and trailer you could fit like 10-15-20 yards that would be awesome

EagleLandscape
02-01-2009, 09:35 AM
dump trailer.

that way you can leave the trailer at a job site while your guys are moving materials into it.

you can't do that with a dump truck.

ALC-GregH
02-01-2009, 11:25 AM
trailer vote here.

POPO4995
02-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I have a trailer, its great. But dump trucks definetaly have their place too. I would go with the truck.

nnj18
02-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Since you only have one truck, I would get a dump truck. You will have to used the F-250 whenever you need to move the dump trailer. And what about in the fall when you're doing fall cleanups? Can't tow two trailers with one truck.

I looked in buying a dump trailer this year, but I can't run around two trailers with one truck. Also you're now left without a vehicle if you ever send a worker to go dump...jmo

If you make your price range $10-15k you'd find yourself a very nice truck with lower miles......$5-6k isn't going to buy you crap.

W.L.M.
02-01-2009, 12:59 PM
I would agree with the dump trailer, they are really nice for doing mulch and fall clean ups. All pro west down in mechanicsburg has a bunch of nice ones and deliver anywhere in pa if you didn't want to travel.

Pro Edge Lawn & Landscape
02-01-2009, 03:03 PM
You already have a dump insert... I have a similar set up except mine is a 1 ton with a true dump bed once i bought a dump trailer I could not believe the benefits and how often you use it

tnmtn
02-01-2009, 06:58 PM
not to argue against dump trailers but that isn't the route i went. as someone mentioned earlier i would have had to have had 2 trucks going to the site anyway. instead i got one of those $4000.00 pos dump trucks. so far couldn't be any happier with it. gas engine drinks the gas but when i need it it's always there. it carries the load fine just slow. maintenance is very easy and so far it hasn't been expensive to own. with the way my insurance is set up i pay for miles i drive and this has allowed me to minimize the insurance expense. as far as the bed and body i don't purposely dent or scratch it but if something does its no big deal. a rock or concrete dent in the bed turns more to a beauty mark. dump trailers aren't bad and have their place but i would guess more larger companies have started with old pos dump trucks. it must mean something that there are so many still around. one thing it sounds like between snow and leaves as your primary loads you wouldn't becarrying heavy a trailer may be better in your case. but if you are looking to get into more dirt work it is nice to leave a jobsite with a load and your machine on the trailer at the same time. as opposed to emptying your trailer then returning to the job to pick up your machine.
good luck,

wellbuilt
02-01-2009, 08:19 PM
I have dump trailers and use them all the time but for hauling snow a truck is much better . I was pulling my dump trailers every day and its a pain getting into tight spots . I have a ford lcf dump truck with a 12' bed i can just rip around with . Plus i can do a double dump. John

JPsDuramax
02-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Sometimes it is less expensive to have a sub handle the work for you. If you add up all the costs of ownership (including the time it is just sitting there costing you money) it is usually better to have someone else do it for you.

We used to have a 1988 International dump that we thought would be great to have. It was very time consuming running to the dump and always had something to work on. Found it was cheaper to have a sub or just get a roll off container. The only good thing about it was when you backed up the odometer went in reverse:laugh: Work all day, put "zero" miles on the truck.

JS Landscaping
02-04-2009, 09:01 PM
A 14k GVWR on a dump trailer would put you in the CDL Class A category if im not mistaken. I believe any trailer over 10k lbs GVWR requires a Class A CDL.

wellbuilt
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
A 14k GVWR on a dump trailer would put you in the CDL Class A category if im not mistaken. I believe any trailer over 10k lbs GVWR requires a Class A CDL.

14,000lb trailer 12,000 lb truck no CDL under 26001lb s .I dont know about the hitch? I would not want to pull 14,000lbs with a srw pickup .

Petr51488
02-04-2009, 10:48 PM
dump trailer.

that way you can leave the trailer at a job site while your guys are moving materials into it.

you can't do that with a dump truck.

True, just dont try dumping when the trailer isnt hooked up to the truck!

JS Landscaping
02-05-2009, 10:46 AM
thanks for the clarification on the CDL requirements. I have my class B with airbrakes and im only allowed to pull up to a 10k GVWR trailer on a Class B truck. Didnt realize you could pull a heavier trailer with a smaller truck and still be under the CDL requirement

MysticLandscape
02-05-2009, 11:39 AM
any trailer over 10k to my knowledge requires a cdl even if your towing with a pick up, I think dont hold me to it, i would not want to find out the hardway.

Evan528
02-05-2009, 11:12 PM
In Pennsylvania any trailer over 10K requires a CDL even if your combo weight is under 26,000LBS. I beleave every states regulations are different.

JPsDuramax
02-05-2009, 11:21 PM
It does depend on the state. In Georgia, you could, in theory, have a 10000 gvw truck and tow a 16000 gvw trailer. You just cannot exceed 26000gcvw.