PDA

View Full Version : Common Wire Question

GreenLight
02-01-2009, 09:25 AM
For the past 2 years when I am running my common wire I have spliced individually to each and every valve with the common, even in spots that have multiple valves in a tight manifold or group. I have been told on more than one occasion that it would save me time, in places of multiple valves, to take one lead from each valve and simply tie them together with the common as opposed to wiring each one independent.

I guess in the past I was always concerned about tying the valve wires together, but if they are just common leads is this going to make a difference?

Wet_Boots
02-01-2009, 09:50 AM
If you make reliable electrical connections, the extras shouldn't be a problem. I tie all the valve commons together.

ARGOS
02-01-2009, 09:52 AM
If you make reliable electrical connections, the extras shouldn't be a problem. I tie all the valve commons together.

Now that's common knowledge.

EagleLandscape
02-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Yes, tie them all into the same (common) wire.

thats why we call it the common.

Wet_Boots
02-01-2009, 10:16 AM
I suppose the screwballs that stuff eight or more valves into a box might have trouble with some of the waterproof connectors. :)

Mike Leary
02-01-2009, 10:17 AM
In multiple valve manifolds, I would tie the incoming common with a group of "shunt" commons, with a single wire to each valve. The multiple commons would get a DBY, the shunts connecting to each valve would get a King "blue". Reason being each valve could be serviced without disturbing the entire common bundle. (No W*M jokes, please.)

GreenLight
02-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

I just wanted reassurance that his was acceptable as I had always individually tied them because I was afraid having all the common leads from the valves touching each other could cause some adverse affect to the solenoid (I don't have any logic behind that thinking, other than paranoia and being overly cautious)...

GreenLight
02-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Mike

Just checking to see if I am on the same page here. You are basically saying use the incoming common wire as a hub and then run common shunts (leads) to each valve?

If that is the case, then I have been following your advice for a long time. That is the way I had always done it (and theoretically, for service it is a great thing). Sorry, my wording made it sound like I was t-ing off the common to each individual valve. But what I meant was I had hubbed from the common then gone individually to each valve because I was paranoid about having the VALVE leads touching each other.

Thanks for your feedback, at least I feel a bit justified for my past work.

Waterit
02-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm doubly impressed - a post that is actually about irrigation followed by sane reasoned answers...

hoskm01
02-01-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm doubly impressed - a post that is actually about irrigation followed by sane reasoned answers...
Careful, you'll derail it with those kind of epiphanies.

GreenLight. Youll have no problem having all the individual commons from the valves touching.

With them all attached to the common at some point, they really are all touching anyway. Whats the diff?

Mike Leary
02-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Mike

Just checking to see if I am on the same page here. You are basically saying use the incoming common wire as a hub and then run common shunts (leads) to each valve?

Yup, Here's a pic before I started making hubs.

hoskm01
02-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Nice Soil.

Nice Boot.

Wet_Boots
02-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Nice Bricks

Mike Leary
02-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Nice Bricks

If you call them "cobblestones" out west, you can get more money for them.:laugh:

Sprinkus
02-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Nice bell end.

Mike Leary
02-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Nice bell end.

Beats a coupler; got to save a buck wherever you can.

Wet_Boots
02-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Beats a coupler; got to save a buck wherever you can.....so you can take solenoid-finding lessons....

EagleLandscape
02-01-2009, 12:41 PM
That thing is a repair nightmare. Also not enough wire left over for service incase you have to swap out a new valve.

hoskm01
02-01-2009, 12:53 PM
That thing is a repair nightmare. Also not enough wire left over for service incase you have to swap out a new valve.
PLENTY of wire there. Might have to snip zip ties and re-tie after.

It may not be centered in the box too well, but anyone could repair just about anything in there.

It must be weird for you Tejanos, seeing more than one valve in a box. And being able to fit a hand and a tool in the box at the same time.:)

Wet_Boots
02-01-2009, 12:55 PM
That thing is a repair nightmare. Also not enough wire left over for service incase you have to swap out a new valve.If you have to swap a valve, you are installing the wrong product. :nono:

EagleLandscape
02-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Bleh,

10" Round boxes for new installs, but I use small rectangular boxes at my house.

hoskm01
02-01-2009, 01:02 PM
I use small rectangular boxes at my house.

A step in the right direction.

Mike Leary
02-01-2009, 01:08 PM
If you have to swap a valve, you are installing the wrong product. :nono:

To the peanut gallery: Matt is right; plenty of wire in there, sharp-eyed irrigators might even notice a spare run of 13-strand. All kidding about
W*M solenoids aside; I have NEVER had to replace a body. :hammerhead:

EagleLandscape
02-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Recall:

I did not see that extra strand at the top, or the excess slack. My eyes weren't working a few hours ago.

Mike Leary
02-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Recall:

I did not see that extra strand at the top, or the excess slack. My eyes weren't working a few hours ago.

No problem, John. :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

GreenLight
02-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Mike

If every valve box that I had to service was as neatly done as that I would certainly never complain. Thanks for the photo and follow up, sorry you felt the wrath of a few folks at my expense.

Mike Leary
02-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Mike

If every valve box that I had to service was as neatly done as that I would certainly never complain. Thanks for the photo and follow up, sorry you felt the wrath of a few folks at my expense.

I live for the abuse of my peers.

Kiril
02-02-2009, 01:04 AM
I live for the abuse of my peers.

Personally I think the "hub" is overkill and agree with the standard way of wiring up your commons ..... but then if you are using WM valves, use Mike's method.