PDA

View Full Version : Do you include price estimates on doorknob hangers & flyers?

walker-talker
03-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Well the subject title sums it up. Do you put something like "average lawns mowed for $30" (or whatever your prices are)? Or something like "aeration for $10 per 1000 square foot"?

I would still offer free estimates, but wondering if this method would cut out some the cheaper price shoppers and actually draw in more customers. I am sure some of you has used this method. I would like to hear your opinions. I have read some post and I think I recall that some have had good results and prefer this method.

Let me know!
MATT

landscaper3
03-04-2002, 11:34 PM
NO!! if there neighbor sees $40 on theres and you put $35 on the neighbors then they will ask why!!! Just put a nice couple of paragraphs on a flyer or door knob hanger! We do the door hangers for there detachable business cards from NEBS.

Bob Minney
03-05-2002, 01:59 AM
Its the only way I've ever done it and it continues to work very well for me. I use it to sell dethatching or aeration by leaving an estimate. I work on small mostly uniform sized lots so I keep price ranges to a minimum. On the bottom of the flyer I advertise "weekly mowing" and get all my mow work from that. I still need to do an on site estimate for mowing but am able to give a price range over the phone based on the estimate for aeration, etc. 90% of the time when I go out to do a mow quote I'm there on a paying job, plus the customer has already decided my pricing is in line with what they are expecting to pay. Doing this does not mean you have to sell cheap prices, I find just the opposite, that I am able to stay in the top 20% of pricing for the area. There are many people that do not like to shop around, wait for call backs and meet with lots of salespeople. Just like no haggle - one price shopping works for auto dealers, its not the best price, but the easiest & quickest means to purchase what you want.

LAWNGODFATHER
03-05-2002, 03:07 AM
If I want to get in an aera real bad, I will give a price on an estimate when they get handed out with the flyers.

Has worked for me for many years.

walker-talker
03-05-2002, 09:36 AM
I thought it was your post LGF that I had read that said that it works for you. What I have decided is this. To leave it off the doorknob hanger, for this reason. I am only ordering 2000 hangers and might not pass them all out or not all out in the same neighborhood. My base price might be more in a different neighborhood. Should I decide to, I will staple a simple price list to each hanger. I have a base estimating price when figuring over seed jobs. I adjust the estimate according to the income of the customer. Does anyone else do this? Or do you charge the same for EVERY customer. I never took any business ethics courses in college, but I don't feel guilty using this method.

MATT

LAWNGODFATHER
03-05-2002, 02:06 PM
You can add prices to it, if you choose.

You find a place that is some what uniform in sizes, it give you an advantage on getting customers bacause they already see what you price is before they call.

I use the same flyer, but then add an enstimate that is pre printed with a price to it. I print them off with different prices so I have some versitilty.

proline32
03-06-2002, 12:02 AM
Last week I hit a neighborhood that basicly had uniform size lawns so I estimated them all at 25.00 plus tax for a mow,trim and edge. It will take me roughly 30 minutes to do yards like these. I printed this on a business card and taped them to doors( cheaper than the door hangers) I put out 50 cards and in two days had 3 new customers for weekly mowing. One of the customers signed on for a whole range of services to the tune of about 700 bucks over the next 7 months on top of the mowing services.

I just printed up another 150 cards to be distributed tomorrow, these card say on them.

" I offer fast,efficient, service at an excellent price.
Is your yard OVERGROWN, let us use our POWERFUL
commercial Mowers to mow it FAST. Please call today
for a free lawn consultation and a free estimate- Ron

Then I have my Business name and cell phone number.
This seems to work pretty good so far.

PAPS
03-06-2002, 12:10 AM
You don't want to list a price.. because you want to be able to "sell" them the job. For example: You leave a hanger and it says $30.00, maybe the customer just discards it and you never hear from them again, HOWEVER if you leave them a hanger, and you leave a catchy slogan " best prices in town" type slogan... maybe that same customer will call you, and you have a chance to interact with the customer and "sell" them your services...tell them its $30.00 but spice it up and make it more appealing....;)

walker-talker
03-06-2002, 12:32 PM
The neighborhood in question does have pretty much all the same size of yards, this is the only way that I would consider taking that option. I think this option would be OK for mowing services, but not for add ons.

MATT

wayne volz
03-08-2002, 11:27 PM
:)
Our flyer advertising does not include pricing. Even in neighborhoods where you think the lawns are the same size the actual size can and will vary significantly potentially causing a problem with average pricing stratagies. In Kentucky, we must have square footage of all lawns being treated or serviced. We want the opportunity to sell our service face to face. Sell based on service not price. Many times the "mass marketing approach" is not right for all companies. Try being a more niche specific service and charge for it! Remember that if you get a 1% return on flyers, you have done well. Good Luck and keep it profitable!