PDA

View Full Version : JDLU Take 2

HokieAg07
02-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Well lets see if this thread can last without being sh*t on by a certain someone...

Learned a good bit about pumps that I didnt know before. Other than that not too terribly much. Werent too many other experienced service guys there from what I could tell.

One instructor had a set up with a ESP clock, rain sensor, pump relay, and a few solenoids wired up. He decided to show how a rain sensor cuts the circuit so he puts his leads on the terminals and pushes the spindle down on the sensor. Well of course the meter still showed continuity because he didnt have the clock on bypass. This puzzled him for quite a bit until I walked up and explained the problem...:dizzy:

Other than that just hung out with the company reps checking out some of the new stuff for this year.

King has new splice kit out for 2wire systems. Pretty cool setup that I am eager to try.

http://www.kinginnovation.com/images/3-dbg-images.jpg

They also have this new Leak-B-Gone rings. Not so sure about these, Id rather just do the repair correctly..

http://www.kinginnovation.com/images/leak-b-gone-steps.jpg

There was a father and son there for the tradeshow and the kid looked about 14. I was hoping it was Junior but sadly it wasnt. :laugh:

Mike Leary
02-01-2009, 06:41 PM
There was a father and son there for the tradeshow and the kid looked about 14. I was hoping it was Junior but sadly it wasnt. :laugh:

Junior will crush you pikers.

Wet_Boots
02-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Leak-B-Gone? As seen on Irrigation TV?

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-01-2009, 07:15 PM

I have me some stock options for it!

its gona keep me in business for years.

Junior M
02-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Nope, wasnt us, I was out fishing Saturday :drinkup:.. Let me ask a serious question(with no comments from previous threads, please?), the trade show is only in Myrtle Beach? Or does each store have its own little show?

HokieAg07
02-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Nope, wasnt us, I was out fishing Saturday :drinkup:.. Let me ask a serious question(with no comments from previous threads, please?), the trade show is only in Myrtle Beach? Or does each store have its own little show?

The trade show was a part of JDLU put on by John Deere. It was all irrigation/landscaping stuff.

HokieAg07
02-01-2009, 08:22 PM

Yeah pretty cheesy eh? Guy was trying to pitch them to me hardcore...

Junior M
02-01-2009, 08:22 PM
The trade show was a part of JDLU put on by John Deere. It was all irrigation/landscaping stuff.
Yeah, I understand that, but I was asking where are they or where is it held? I know something was mentioned about Myrtle Beach in the original thread but I am not sure..

GreenLight
02-01-2009, 09:29 PM
I finished JDLU in Chattanooga about 10 days ago as well..
I can vouch that it was very basic like you said. I took some advanced lighting courses and an irrigation design and drip course. Suffice to say, they were good topics to retouch on, but I wasn't thrilled at the overall presentation of the information or the overkill on basics. Great courses for people who are really getting started and I by no means am an expert, but I was really hoping for a bit more innovative stuff.

And yes, I got a few demo leak b gone rings and like you im pretty darn skeptical of those things...Lets just say most people there had other names for those rings that nothing to do with stopping irrigation leaks.

bicmudpuppy
02-01-2009, 11:41 PM
I see the picture of the ring, but WTF? How is that supposed to help anything? The leak a ring installed like the picture shows would be for a poorly set or unglued fitting. How is a 1/8"? ring going to fix that?

HokieAg07
02-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Yeah those rings are very cheesy and yes I heard them called a few names other than irrigation related as well. Just seems like a hack way of fixing something and honestly I dont come across too many joints that have failed in a way that those stupid things would be useful to begin with.

Those new DBGs as they are called are pretty slick though. Three options for making the connection as you can see above and the material inside is sticky and conforms around the connection but it can be touched and you wont get all nasty. Pretty neat.

Junior it was a trade show, they are held all over the place put on by many different companies, people etc. Look them up, I dont know what else to tell you.

Waterit
02-02-2009, 12:40 AM

Too advanced for them, must be Sprinklerdaddy.

CAPT Stream Rotar
02-02-2009, 12:47 AM
google brah

ARGOS
02-02-2009, 12:48 AM
I see the picture of the ring, but WTF? How is that supposed to help anything? The leak a ring installed like the picture shows would be for a poorly set or unglued fitting. How is a 1/8"? ring going to fix that?

Exactly what I was wondering. How does it work? What are we repairing? How is a 1/8" ring going to repair anything? What is missing? There must be more?

Junior. I am completely willing to read your post if you lose the sig.

Junior M
02-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Yeah those rings are very cheesy and yes I heard them called a few names other than irrigation related as well. Just seems like a hack way of fixing something and honestly I dont come across too many joints that have failed in a way that those stupid things would be useful to begin with.

Those new DBGs as they are called are pretty slick though. Three options for making the connection as you can see above and the material inside is sticky and conforms around the connection but it can be touched and you wont get all nasty. Pretty neat.

Junior it was a trade show, they are held all over the place put on by many different companies, people etc. Look them up, I dont know what else to tell you.
Ok, thanks.. :waving:

Junior M
02-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I understand that, but I was asking where are they or where is it held? I know something was mentioned about Myrtle Beach in the original thread but I am not sure..

Junior. I am completely willing to read your post if you lose the sig.

There no sig...

Wet_Boots
02-02-2009, 10:12 AM
There no sig...Well praise be :)

Junior M
02-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Well praise be :)
Shh, I am only unchecking it in this forum, dont tell anybody... :laugh:

DanaMac
02-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Our local Ewing has some short seminars this month. 2-3 hours each. I'm going to the water conservation products one today. They have a backflow one next week that I'll miss while snowboarding (dangit!). Couple of basic design and head layout ones as well.

BrandonV
02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
so do you have a b.s. in green paint now? I should have had you swing by on your way up or down you probably drove right through asheboro on your way.

DanaMac
02-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Our local Ewing has some short seminars this month. 2-3 hours each. I'm going to the water conservation products one today.

Water rates from Colorado Springs Utilities are going up appx. 40% this spring. So conservation is going to be key. Dennis, the store manager and speaker, broke the seminar down into products and techniques. Decent short seminar. Long full days are a drain sometimes and tough to keep my attention. MANY city and county employees attended, partly because they are now getting raises partially based on continuing education, from what I heard. And with dwindling budgets they are trying to find ways to cut water use.

Tom Tom
02-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Water rates from Colorado Springs Utilities are going up appx. 40% this spring. So conservation is going to be key. Dennis, the store manager and speaker, broke the seminar down into products and techniques. Decent short seminar. Long full days are a drain sometimes and tough to keep my attention. MANY city and county employees attended, partly because they are now getting raises partially based on continuing education, from what I heard. And with dwindling budgets they are trying to find ways to cut water use.

I was thinking that too, that with the water rate increase, should be a good year for water audits/conservation/smart controllers/repairs/lowering golf handicap.

I'm bummed that I missed it.