PDA

View Full Version : 14 yr old Fighting to Survive

theminigardener7
02-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Wow i have been looking for one of these for a long time. Anyways, here is my story:
I grew up and currently live in So Cal. When I was young, I always would go out every Saturday and watch the gardeners do our yard. When I was 9 years old, we moved to a new neighborhood in which one of the neighbors had their children mowing the lawn. I would come over once a week and help the high skool kids cut their grass(this was my first time using equipment and from watching my old gardeners, I developed several mowing techniques). Eventually, it was just me cutting their grass with their mower(the only piece of equipment there was). Around a month later, I was doing 3 yards including mine on my block. This led to the necessity of a blower, so i bought a troybilt TB25BP. By then i was nearing 10 and a half and got a wagon cart to put everything in. I began spreading around the neighborhood and had a total of 7 accounts. When I turned twelve my dad got me a redtrailer(4x6'). So I gradually increased to now where I am 14 and have a route of 34 houses, 5 apartment complexes, and 1 baseball field(it is a city field however, they only come once every month and a half). I go to school mon-fri and have all of the accounts mainly on weekends but also after school. My friend helps me occasionally but it is mainly me. Also, here in Pasadena CA, most of the gardeners (no offense) are Hispanic. This also creates tension because I am (from what I can see) the only white gardener here in Pasadena, let alone the only 14yr old one. Anyways, it is a tough world over here(I sure its bad for everybody) with dozens of people stealing equipment and all of the racist jokes i get while working here. Overall, I really do like it and wish to stick with it unlike my parents views, and maybe grow to do trees, landscape designs and installations, and ponds or something. Anyways it is very reassuring to hear about all you guys(even if you all do large properties with drive mowers and stuff)!!

KCfireman
02-01-2009, 08:14 PM
that's awsome buddy. Most of my family lives in Northern LA.

DLAWNS
02-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Keep up the great work ethic. You sound like you're doing well for yourself. This site is great for learning tons of new things. Good luck in '09.

CAT powered
02-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Good luck, buddy! And remember. If the mexicans are giving you too tough a time call the ICE.

1-866-DHS-2-ICE

Junior M
02-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Good luck, buddy! And remember. If the mexicans are giving you too tough a time call the ICE.

1-866-DHS-2-ICE
Or just yell "immigration" :laugh::laugh: Good luck and keep up the good work! :waving:

KCfireman
02-01-2009, 10:01 PM
when i first saw this thread, before i opened it, i though you were some kid who was dieing from a disease or something.

theminigardener7
02-01-2009, 10:03 PM
of course! the first place some kid dieing of a disease would go is Lawnsite.com

old oak lawn
02-01-2009, 10:13 PM
when i first saw this thread, before i opened it, i though you were some kid who was dieing from a disease or something.

I thought someone got hurt on a mower or something like that.

PerfectEarth
02-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Fighting to survive????????? Geez, you kids. Come back and moan when you realize what real expenses are.

newz7151
02-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Wow i have been looking for one of these for a long time. Anyways, here is my story:
I grew up and currently live in So Cal. When I was young, I always would go out every Saturday and watch the gardeners do our yard.

What do you mean, when you "were" young?

theminigardener7
02-02-2009, 12:01 AM
"younger". geezz r u guys like friggin critics or something

DLAWNS
02-02-2009, 12:08 AM
"younger". geezz r u guys like friggin critics or something

Don't listen to them, they're just messing with ya. It's like a great big welcome to the site.

theminigardener7
02-02-2009, 12:11 AM
nahh everythings cool, thats nothing compared to what people yell to me when they see me

lawnprosteveo
02-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Young man, I can say with your good attitude and work ethic...you will go far in life. Dont let the idiots get you down with their racist comments. Funny how you never here the racist strife some white kids have to deal with...only the other way around.

Keep up the good work and great attitude and it will pay off for you!

Bol O Dhia Ort!
:usflag::irishflag:

King Cuts Landscaping
02-02-2009, 01:02 AM
I grew up and currently live in So Cal. When I was young, I always would go out every Saturday and watch the gardeners do our yard. When I was 9 years old, we moved to a new neighborhood in which one of the neighbors had their children mowing the lawn. I would come over once a week and help the high skool kids cut their grass(this was my first time using equipment and from watching my old gardeners, I developed several mowing techniques). Eventually, it was just me cutting their grass with their mower(the only piece of equipment there was). Around a month later, I was doing 3 yards including mine on my block. This led to the necessity of a blower, so i bought a troybilt TB25BP. By then i was nearing 10 and a half and got a wagon cart to put everything in. I began spreading around the neighborhood and had a total of 7 accounts. When I turned twelve my dad got me a redtrailer(4x6'). So I gradually increased to now where I am 14 and have a route of 34 houses, 5 apartment complexes, and 1 baseball field(it is a city field however, they only come once every month and a half). I go to school mon-fri and have all of the accounts mainly on weekends but also after school. My friend helps me occasionally but it is mainly me. Also, here in Pasadena CA, most of the gardeners (no offense) are Hispanic. This also creates tension because I am (from what I can see) the only white gardener here in Pasadena, let alone the only 14yr old one. Anyways, it is a tough world over here(I sure its bad for everybody) with dozens of people stealing equipment and all of the racist jokes i get while working here. Overall, I really do like it and wish to stick with it unlike my parents views, and maybe grow to do trees, landscape designs and installations, and ponds or something. Anyways it is very reassuring to hear about all you guys(even if you all do large properties with drive mowers and stuff)!!

You are off to a great start, its sounds like you started out just like me but I have one question do you run behind the push mower? 34 houses, 5 apartment complexes and a baseball field is a lot to cut with 21 inch mowers!! More power to you, you’re doing much better then I was doing at 14 years old. Keep up the work and good luck to you this year!

theminigardener7
02-02-2009, 01:13 AM
You are off to a great start, its sounds like you started out just like me but I have one question do you run behind the push mower? 34 houses, 5 apartment complexes and a baseball field is a lot to cut with 21 inch mowers!! More power to you, you’re doing much better then I was doing at 14 years old. Keep up the work and good luck to you this year!

Good question, yes I do pratically jog while doing everything, however first of all, a little more than half the residential accounts are handled on a bi weekly basis, until summer, when I have more time to spend without school. Second, here in So Cal, yards tend to be pretty small, making it easy to quickly, but efficiently do all of the yards within my time limit. Third, Before commiting to a job I remind the customer that i am 14 years old and am trying to juggle school, family, and friends all within the same lifetime, making it understandable for then if we happen to skip a day or come on a different day one time. Last but least, unlike alot of people, I work from about 6 30 till about 1 hour after it gets dark, which normally is around 7 on weekends and 6 30 on weekdays(for homework)

so i hope that answers your question, that is, if you are still awake

capetrees
02-02-2009, 09:27 PM

The shock to most is that you WANT to work for a living at such a young age! Best part of it is that if you keep at it, most of the racist pr!cks will soon be working for you and that's not that far off. Try to further your education through college so if something doesn't pan out, you can always fall back on you education for a different job, something most of the racists animals don't have and thus MUST continue to work as laborers as they do. Me? I have a college education as well as a number of licenses and certifications but love to work outside. Once I am too old or tired of it, I'll be on to different avenues. An education is like money in the bank. And to he!!ith the racist losers. You'll succeed so long as you don't stoop to their ways. Thumbs Up

Big Bad Bob
02-03-2009, 02:16 AM

Stick with it young fellar. There was a kid, not unlike you, about 10 years ago, who started out just like you. He got laughed at and was told that when he was 18 he'd change his profession because lawn and landscape care was not a place you could be successful at. He now has several crews and a nursery. He is one of the largest lawn and landscape companies in the 6 county area. He does lots of tv advertising. I am willing to bet he is a multimillionaire now.
Hell, when I was in my 40's, this "kid" was an inspiration to me.
And remember, nothing good comes easy. Good luck to you and I know you are going places. Sounds like you have the brains and the drive. Don't forget to be a kid once in a while too. :):usflag:

George Mason
02-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Keep at it, start mentioning UC Davis to your parents and get them on board with the idea that you'll head up there one day if my assumption is right that they are frowning on the idea of you pursuing this industry. UC Davis is one of the best agricultural schools in the world and most certainly has a degree in landscaping architecture or something of that nature and why not shot for that, especially give that you live in CA with they university system they have there for the residents of their state. That's good for the industry too, because one day you'll crank out high-end properties/developments that need to be maintained. Good luck.

nnj18
02-03-2009, 07:51 PM
lol 14 yr old "fighting to survive" lmao!! do you live in a cardboard box....come on!

theminigardener7
02-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Keep at it, start mentioning UC Davis to your parents and get them on board with the idea that you'll head up there one day if my assumption is right that they are frowning on the idea of you pursuing this industry. UC Davis is one of the best agricultural schools in the world and most certainly has a degree in landscaping architecture or something of that nature and why not shot for that, especially give that you live in CA with they university system they have there for the residents of their state. That's good for the industry too, because one day you'll crank out high-end properties/developments that need to be maintained. Good luck.

How big of a difference is there between UC Davis and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo or even TSTC Waco (I might want to go into golf course management, because my grandparents currently run two different golf courses in Solvang CA.)

George Mason
02-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I am in Virginia, I wouldn't know what the differences are besides the fact that Cal. Davis is regarded as one of the very best agriculture schools in the world so I would guess they have more resources, money pumped into the programs, and contacts for students to use which is a huge deal when you are looking or internships or a job when you graduate because alumni will look to hire fellow alumni. From what I gather, the entire California higher education system is well run and it's my own philosophy that any school can be a good school if you make it happen. When you have an idea of you want to do, go for it and make it work. I'd also say to ask you guidance counselor at school and then get a few more opinions as well from a range of people because you never know what bias you are hearing.

Good luck,

lawnmastersoftyler
02-05-2009, 02:40 PM
It's great that full grown men act like a 12 year old the first time they talk to a 14 yr old on lawnsite.:hammerhead: Keep up the work and one day all of those ugly faces you see will be your emloyees, except this time they will be cheesing a grin and asking for a raise.

capetrees
02-07-2009, 08:13 PM
It's great that full grown men act like a 12 year old the first time they talk to a 14 yr old on lawnsite.:hammerhead: Keep up the work and one day all of those ugly faces you see will be your emloyees, except this time they will be cheesing a grin and asking for a raise.

Exactly as I said.Thumbs Up

South Florida Lawns
02-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Your location is where I wanna be. The yards are small everything is cut with 21" mowers and most of the nice areas in L.A. have great yards and landscaping. What do they call you I'm curious to know?

SNAPPER MAN
02-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Why does everyone have to make it look like latino's are terrible people. Yelling "immigration" would be a stupid move on your part. We arn't bad people like alot of you guys think. Where I live there are very very few non hispanic landscapers, and they usually dont last very long in the heat here. It makes me laugh when you guys talk about other landscapers being mean to you or making fun of you because here we are all friends and get along good. Please quit making it look like latino's steal your work and are terrible people because we are not! Keep it up though and you will be successful, learn spanish because you will eventually need workers and they are the best guys to get.

theminigardener7
02-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Your location is where I wanna be. The yards are small everything is cut with 21" mowers and most of the nice areas in L.A. have great yards and landscaping. What do they call you I'm curious to know?

What do you mean what do they call you?

theminigardener7
02-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Why does everyone have to make it look like latino's are terrible people. Yelling "immigration" would be a stupid move on your part. We arn't bad people like alot of you guys think. Where I live there are very very few non hispanic landscapers, and they usually dont last very long in the heat here. It makes me laugh when you guys talk about other landscapers being mean to you or making fun of you because here we are all friends and get along good. Please quit making it look like latino's steal your work and are terrible people because we are not! Keep it up though and you will be successful, learn spanish because you will eventually need workers and they are the best guys to get.

No sabes las personas aqui en california sur. Si, hay muchas personas que son simpaticos pero tambien hay los ratones que no le gusta los chicos blancos y dice "pendejo, chingaron, y Vete a carojo, mierda." Entonces yo se que hay jardineros buenos pero aqui hay mas jardineros malos.

I hope you could understand that. (my spanish is still a little rough) but I have been learning it from all of the "good" gardeners for the past 3 years

SNAPPER MAN
02-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Yo entiendo su espanol. Creo que dijiste, siempre hay personas buenos y malos, esa es la verdad.

Junior M
02-08-2009, 04:24 PM
;) :confused:

Snapper, when I said yell immigration earlier in this thread, I was simply joking, nothing serious about it..

theminigardener7
02-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Yo entiendo su espanol. Creo que dijiste, siempre hay personas buenos y malos, esa es la verdad.

¿Eres solamente persona aqui que habla espanol?

1993lx172
02-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Ok can we get a translation I caught about half of that exchange and it's been a year since my last Spanish class (which wasn't all that informative any way) and I'm not taking one this (my senior) year.

Gardener7 it looks like you are doing great for your age, I started when I was twelve with a third of what's in my sig (the Jd, the old wizzard, and the Homelete) and during my best year i had about ten yards. You at 14 with 34! and an apartment complex is a testament to your tenacity and work ethic. Have you thought about getting a Riding mower (I would go with a JD from the dealer not Homechepo or Slows much better quality from the dealer) and a utility cart? I've been using this sort of setup going on seven years and I've had nothing but success, I know I need to get a trailer but I don't have a place to store one but if I need to I can ramp the tractor into my truck but I find it easier to just go overland. Good luck in the future and in a few years if you are still interested in this line of work you will find great landscape programs from many of the accredited colleges, trust me I've looked and considered it but decided to go with architecture at WKU. Good luck and have a great season.

theminigardener7
02-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Ok can we get a translation I caught about half of that exchange and it's been a year since my last Spanish class (which wasn't all that informative any way) and I'm not taking one this (my senior) year.

Gardener7 it looks like you are doing great for your age, I started when I was twelve with a third of what's in my sig (the Jd, the old wizzard, and the Homelete) and during my best year i had about ten yards. You at 14 with 34! and an apartment complex is a testament to your tenacity and work ethic. Have you thought about getting a Riding mower (I would go with a JD from the dealer not Homechepo or Slows much better quality from the dealer) and a utility cart? I've been using this sort of setup going on seven years and I've had nothing but success, I know I need to get a trailer but I don't have a place to store one but if I need to I can ramp the tractor into my truck but I find it easier to just go overland. Good luck in the future and in a few years if you are still interested in this line of work you will find great landscape programs from many of the accredited colleges, trust me I've looked and considered it but decided to go with architecture at WKU. Good luck and have a great season.

Right Now, a JD riding mower wouid just slow me down trying to get it through gates etc. I have kinda looked at some mid size walkbehinds (36,42) but not totally convinced that I really need one. We work really well with two hondas and once i get my liscense (hopefully a truck too!) I want to upgrade to an enclosed trailer so I could fit a midsize much easily. If at some point we do get to the point where we need a bigger mower and I am finacially fit for it, I am amazed at the Walker's capabilities(especially with the GHS). But right now we are doing just fine

South Florida Lawns
02-08-2009, 10:25 PM
all the hispanics in my area smile and wave to me and all my guys when we're working. They seem to be really friendly and respectful, at least to other landscapers.

atasteofnature
02-08-2009, 10:47 PM
congrats on the business and best of luck in '09

blake101
02-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Sounds like you are doing really well. Just moved to MS from Valencia, CA. Miss the weather.

theminigardener7
02-08-2009, 11:35 PM
So Im guessing you have a lot of commercial accounts in valencia

blake101
02-08-2009, 11:51 PM
No longer in California, in Mississippi now. Trying to decide if I should try to start something here. I have to much spare time on my hands, and I love being outside. Just not sure if I could make it worth my while.

Big Bad Bob
02-09-2009, 12:24 AM
¿Eres solamente persona aqui que habla espanol?

él está sí.

theminigardener7
02-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Entonces hablas espanol tambien

alonso martinez
02-09-2009, 12:40 AM
hello, my friend keepup Im, mexican but living 15 year in usa, and I,am 26. dont pay attencion. racism its every where. i respect every one. every culture. I help everybody when I ,see they need my help no matter .whithe, black, hispanic. that happend to my. some people. said bad comments to my becouse. my skin. lest stop this. everybody know some body hou talk spanish. I HAVE white and blacks friends, every race are bad and good people. GOD BLESS USA . from you mexican fiend

theminigardener7
02-09-2009, 12:42 AM
hello, my friend keepup Im, mexican but living 15 year in usa, and I,am 26. dont pay attencion. racism its every where. i respect every one. every culture. I help everybody when I ,see they need my help no matter .whithe, black, hispanic. that happend to my. some people. said bad comments to my becouse. my skin. lest stop this. everybody know some body hou talk spanish. I HAVE white and blacks friends, every race are bad and good people. GOD BLESS USA . from you mexican fiend

Donde trabajas en los estados?

alonso martinez
02-09-2009, 12:43 AM
hello, my friend keepup Im, mexican but living 15 year in usa, and I,am 26. dont pay attencion. racism its every where. i respect every one. every culture. I help everybody when I ,see they need my help no matter .whithe, black, hispanic. that happend to my. some people. said bad comments to my becouse. my skin. lest stop this. everybody know some body who talk spanish. I HAVE white and blacks friends, every race have bad and good people. GOD BLESS USA . from you mexican fiend

alonso martinez
02-09-2009, 12:50 AM
En maryland

Big Bad Bob
02-09-2009, 01:32 PM

no puedo hablar español.

Big Bad Bob
02-09-2009, 01:33 PM

¿por qué usted dice esto?

SNAPPER MAN
02-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Si hablo espanol. Pienso que cuando tienes una compania de landscaping o cortando yardas tienes que hablar espanol. Sin espanol no puedo hablar con mi trabajador y tambien un cliente. Mucha gente piense que es malo como hablamos espanol pero no hay un "law" que dice no podemos.

Trabajas en maryland? Hay mucho latinos alli??

theminigardener7
02-09-2009, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE= I'd also say to ask you guidance counselor at school and then get a few more opinions as well from a range of people because you never know what bias you are hearing.

Good luck,[/QUOTE]

If you met the guidance counselor at our school you would shoot yourself

theminigardener7
02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Si hablo espanol. Pienso que cuando tienes una compania de landscaping o cortando yardas tienes que hablar espanol. Sin espanol no puedo hablar con mi trabajador y tambien un cliente. Mucha gente piense que es malo como hablamos espanol pero no hay un "law" que dice no podemos.

Tambien aprendo muchas cosas de jardineria de los latinos que habla espanol solamente

theminigardener7
02-09-2009, 03:46 PM
¿por qué usted dice esto?

Dije que a Alonso, porque quise saber cuántas personas hablan español aquí sin utilizar una máquina

bengalman
02-14-2009, 11:47 AM
how do you have 5 apartments at 14 you are not even a company that is insured.

theminigardener7
02-14-2009, 11:52 AM
3 of them are parents/grandparents friends, 2 of them are just really nice people who know I will get insured sooner or later and like the work that I do so the just keep quiet about it

bengalman
02-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Thats cool but people are not very smart if you spit a rock out and it hit a kid and took out his eye someone will be sued and it wont be you because of your age it will be the owner of the property.(IM not trying to get on you its just that you have to be careful and protect your butt)

IA_James
02-14-2009, 01:11 PM
You're taking a job from a grown up. And doing without insurance. FAIL.

theminigardener7
02-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Thats cool but people are not very smart if you spit a rock out and it hit a kid and took out his eye someone will be sued and it wont be you because of your age it will be the owner of the property.(IM not trying to get on you its just that you have to be careful and protect your butt)

I totally agree. we are somewhat lucky because everyone except 1 is only a cleanup and weed/cultivation with very small and quick lawns. So most of our time is spent weeding raking and sweeping etc.

maplecreek
02-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Hey buddy it sounds like your doing really good for your self, just keep thes things in mind there will always be people out there who will talk negatively but that is because they are jealous. As for the hispanic guys don't worry about them most of them are good hard working people who just want to earn money for their families. Keep your work ethic where you have it and you will go really far!:clapping: Just keep in mind not to try and grow to fast grow at a gradual pace and the other work will come ie: tree work landscaping etc. Keep it up buddy and you will do great things.:cool2: Jonathon Delaware:usflag:

GreenAcresLC
02-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Wish I'd had the drive you have when I was 14! Also wish I'd have taken Spanish in HS...I can't understand half of this thread! :hammerhead:

PAR Lawn
02-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi, and nice going with your business. I also work in Pasadena, and I know what you mean about the Mexican guys, but you know something, I started waving to them as they drove by and started talking to the Mexican guys doing the lawns next door to the ones I'm doing and most of them are pretty great guys, but I also know what you mean by the jokes. Kill them with kindness my friend. I have learned alot of what to do and also what Not to do talking to them.
Fantastic story and keep on kickin butt! Glad to hear now that I'm not the only WhiteBoy in the business!

theminigardener7
02-26-2009, 09:08 PM
WoW, Who would have known that not only another white guy, but a member of lawnsite! We so need to talk

PAR Lawn
02-26-2009, 09:36 PM
The farthest I get into Pasadena is Wilson & Walnut. I have a couple of houses there front and back. Where are you, so I don't fly your route? I'm out every week putting out flyers,... I didn't want to step on your toes...lol!

theminigardener7
02-26-2009, 09:40 PM
haha. We dont work that high. We do alot of the big residential homes(like if you were to go down wilson, we do el molino, madison,oakland,oak knoll, hudson(in that area by california blvd)Then we do alot by the rosebowl and 3 apartment complexes on orange grove. so i guess if you stay where you are, ur fine, but really i dont care because we dont use flyers, we operate solely on word of mouth. So do you use a trailer like the rest of these guys or do u work out of your truck. Also what equipment do you use?

King Cuts Landscaping
02-27-2009, 02:49 AM
En maryland

donde en Maryland hacen usted vive

King Cuts Landscaping
02-27-2009, 02:51 AM
donde en Maryland hacen usted vive

lets see if i got it right. I speak much better than i write spanish:hammerhead:

theminigardener7
02-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I think its ¿Donde en maryland vive usted?