PDA

View Full Version : extending my lawn

Glendor
02-01-2009, 09:07 PM
My neighbor and I recently split the cost of a narrow piece of property between his house and mine. It was never wide enough to build on, so it has sat vacent since our subdivision was built. It's quite wild. We used to mow it every once in a while so it wouldn't be an eyesore, but over the years, we let it go. Now that we own it, we split it down the middle, and are in the process of extending out fences out to encorporate it into our back yards. Now we are faced with the task of taming it. We removed most of the saplngs (mostly tallow), but how do we convert wild into St. Augustine grass?

Should we use a herbicide, then sod over it? Should we till it, then seed it? What is SOP in this situation. :confused:

Thanks,
G in Houston.

RAlmaroad
02-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Clear it off first, burn or get rid of the junk, and make sure you get all of those roots. If you don't fungus will appear from the decay years down the road. Hire someone with a "Harley Rake" for a half day or by the job to do this work. You could spray it yourself with round up to get rid of the weeds. After about 2-3 weeks smooth and irrigate the lot and order and lay the sod. Good sod job requires about 6" of soft soil so tilling and adding a starter fertilize would be a good idea. Hire help--6-8 people laying sod to get it down quickly and kept wet for two weeks is a must for a good stand of grass. Don't leave sod in the pallet no more than 24-36 hours.