PDA

View Full Version : Gunite Pool Demo

DVS Hardscaper
02-01-2009, 10:49 PM
We offer light excavating services and as part of our excavating services we offer pool demolition, which over the years we have demoed quite a few pools.

I would like to talk about demolition of gunite pools with others that have done so. We have demoed many gunite pools. And I would like to talk about how we do it and find out how others handle it, I want to see if there are ways we can demo gunite pools more efficiently.

But before I start a thread, has anyone here any experience demoing gunite pools?

PlatinumLandCon
02-01-2009, 10:56 PM
I did a pool fill-in last year (July) but I didn't remove everything, just chopped 30" off and cut (6) 2'x2' holes in the bottom then filled it, packed it, filled more, packed more. Are you talking about a full REMOVAL of the concrete/rebar/pipes etc?

When filling, will you build on it right away or give it X amount of time to naturally settle?

DVS Hardscaper
02-02-2009, 08:05 AM
I did a pool fill-in last year (July) but I didn't remove everything, just chopped 30" off and cut (6) 2'x2' holes in the bottom then filled it, packed it, filled more, packed more. Are you talking about a full REMOVAL of the concrete/rebar/pipes etc?

When filling, will you build on it right away or give it X amount of time to naturally settle?

We usually demo, as in removing the concrete deck and placing the concrete in the pool. We then hammer the top 18-24" of the pool's walls and collapse subsequent debris ino the pool. We do not "cut" holes in the bottom, as the bottom is usually very slippery and slimey and I don't want the guys breaking their necks, so we usually just hammer the bottom with the breaker on the back hoe or excavator.

When you say you "chopped 30" off" - what exactly did you do and what did you use to do so?

I have a pool demo I'm pricing right now. Very difficult access. The work area is too confined and we can't use the backhoe to break the walls because there is no room to safely manuever the machine. It's on a hill, and there's a stream 15' behind the pool. If the stream wasn't there - we could use the backhoe. So we'll need a 15,000# excavator with a breaker. Right now, the price is at $11,000.00. I don't think the owner will pay 11k, so I'm trying to find a way to get it down to around $8,000.00.

I was thinking of filling it in. Then use the skid steer with a breaker and hammer the sides. But 2 negative issues: 1) we won't be able to hammer the bottom. 2) We'd have to haul the debris from the sides away because the hole would already be filled in. This would shave about $1600 off the cost.....but we'd have to charge for the exporting of the concrete.

CertPro
02-02-2009, 11:09 AM
DVS. Why not jackhammer the bottom and proceed as you described?
Also, don't totally fill the pool in and ramp the machine into it