PDA

View Full Version : little help?

Hardscaping
02-02-2009, 12:42 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133251&stc=1&d=1233176081
borrowed this picture from another thread on here not my picture.

just wondering how to go about building these walls i want to do this type of wall this year and what kind of pricing is on these compared to segmental retaining walls? are these walls better price wise?

tatmkr
02-05-2009, 12:30 AM
The price depends on your experience. It's mostly in the labor. First off, your talking about a concrete cinder block wall on a concrete footer. Then finished with a stucco and cap with regular caps from a segmental wall. Personaly, I see several things to nit pick on this wall, but my main suggestion would be to include cut limestone caps for this type of wall.
Getting into this style falls into the masonry catagory, which is something that I don't want to screw with. There is a lot of skill and experience required in getting those mortars to the right consistency. If you screw up then it' crack heaven, and considering my 3 year warranty, it's too much liability. My advice would be to stick with what you know and find new materials. (look into Unilock's selection of walls)

Hardscaping
02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
i think that with practice that i could do this work.

i would appreciate some help along the way though if any body can put some ground rules when doing this type of work and so forth.

Hardscaping
02-05-2009, 08:34 PM
this type of work would look good at the newer commercial buildings being built around me.

jg244888
02-05-2009, 08:47 PM
where in ontario are you?

Meezer
02-05-2009, 11:45 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133251&stc=1&d=1233176081
borrowed this picture from another thread on here not my picture.

just wondering how to go about building these walls i want to do this type of wall this year and what kind of pricing is on these compared to segmental retaining walls? are these walls better price wise?

I don't know what the material costs are in Ontario compared to here in Indiana. As one that does masonry & hardscapes, I look at that photo thinking, wtf???????? I would definitely charge more to build something like in the photo.

Hardscaping
02-06-2009, 12:49 AM
i am in kitchener waterloo cambridge area.

I would definately charge more for this type of wall depending on the application. i would like to only do this work for ornamental purposes like done in the picture. for retaining purposes i think i would just go with what i know works.

i just think this type of wall would go good in front of some commercial buildings and such.

Meezer
02-06-2009, 11:54 AM
for retaining purposes i think i would just go with what i know works

I agree

i would like to only do this work for ornamental purposes like done in the picture.

I believe in the original thread where this photo came from it stated that there was an existing partial footing in place. This design and build is creative. Sure, one can pick at it(or any other design & build) & say "I would have used this or done that" All that matters is that the customer is happy with it.:drinkup: